Parking brake stuck - cold - not just the light

round00

Okay, I'm going to try and be brief: I've had a problem this winter with the parking brake sticking when it's cold - the colder, the more likely it'll stick. Usually doesn't stick unless it gets below 30 at night, but it has stuck at 38 degrees before.

I went to Colorado around Christmas, and my friend lives up in the mountains and has a real steep driveway. I always used my parking brake with my Honda in his driveway, no problem. Anyway, my P5 brake stuck and wouldn't un-stick. When pavement is dry, I can drive a little ways and the heat from friction will un-stick it. However, when snowcovered, the wheel won't spin, and thus no friction, and thus, out of luck.

I can see it sticking under 15 degrees or something extreme like that (if that's extreme, depending on where you live), but 30 degrees?!? Come on.

So, official Mazda answer: use chocks when parking on an incline in the winter. What BS. I have to freaking carrying blocks with me when I drive in the winter. I look like an idiot blocking my car in the grocery store parking lot.

I've used my parking brake on my Honda when it was -10 and didn't have it stick.

I've also got the intermittent flashing brake light problem - Mazda says brake fluid okay, and they don't know why it's flashing.

Can anyone give me some insight?

I use my parking brake at -45 degrees and it doesn't stick. I dont' know what could be causing your problem.

sorry for the useless, pointless post.

the brakes are hot when you apply the ebrake, you leave it out, and they somewhat "cook" together (hot pads+COLD weather)
then when you leave they somewhat stick for a initial second. this is normal.

is this the problem?

round00 said:
Okay, I'm going to try and be brief: I've had a problem this winter with the parking brake sticking when it's cold - the colder, the more likely it'll stick. Usually doesn't stick unless it gets below 30 at night, but it has stuck at 38 degrees before.

I went to Colorado around Christmas, and my friend lives up in the mountains and has a real steep driveway. I always used my parking brake with my Honda in his driveway, no problem. Anyway, my P5 brake stuck and wouldn't un-stick. When pavement is dry, I can drive a little ways and the heat from friction will un-stick it. However, when snowcovered, the wheel won't spin, and thus no friction, and thus, out of luck.

I can see it sticking under 15 degrees or something extreme like that (if that's extreme, depending on where you live), but 30 degrees?!? Come on.

So, official Mazda answer: use chocks when parking on an incline in the winter. What BS. I have to freaking carrying blocks with me when I drive in the winter. I look like an idiot blocking my car in the grocery store parking lot.

I've used my parking brake on my Honda when it was -10 and didn't have it stick.

I've also got the intermittent flashing brake light problem - Mazda says brake fluid okay, and they don't know why it's flashing.

Can anyone give me some insight?
The p5 park brake system works great until it starts to get contaminated from moisture ,salt etc in cold climate areas. The"E" brake pivots on the calipers start to seize and eventually will stay applied even when the handle is released inside the car. If they are not to badly seized you can rebuild them, if they are ugly then just buy some exchange units and slap them on. Make sure to check the cables too, water in the cables that freezes will also lock the "E" brake on. Hope this helps.

CrazyCaker said:
Have you had your calipers checked to see if they are seizing?
That's what I would check first.

When does your brake light come on? Under breaking? Randomly?

Until you fix it, instead of using blocks for your wheels just leave the car in gear.

cbcbd said:
That's what I would check first.

When does your brake light come on? Under breaking? Randomly?

Until you fix it, instead of using blocks for your wheels just leave the car in gear.

It does it randomly, under breaking, and at night while it sits the brake locks and won't let go in the AM.

I always leave it in gear, but proper parking requires a manual to be left in gear with the parking brake applied. I've seen at least two cars roll and hit something after someone failed to set the parking brake and just left them in gear...

Back