Timing Belt Inspection and Replacement

pingdum

:
Ol' Reddy...Ol' Reddy...the best Truckin' Truck in South Philly
Have any of you folks with over 60K miles had to replace your timing belt? Have you at least inspected it? I'm very curious to see how they are holding out and whether I should start getting worried.

I'm at 23K and I'm doing my belt and pump now....not because they broke....well sorta.

It's not real easy but doable...

... i changed mine at 80000 k .... there were no cracks in it, and when i checked the length it had no stretched either. In our cars though you can run it till it snaps if you like, we have no interference. However it was fairly easy job to do, took me about 2 hours or so.

i took mine off a week ago at 48k miles. looked great. only replaced it because i might as well since the engine is out.

same reason as pdh, I cracked my waterpump and had to pull it out anyway. ....would been MUCH easier if it was out of the car...a 40 minute job that way....it's taken me almost 4 hours right now.

yella said:
... i changed mine at 80000 k .... there were no cracks in it, and when i checked the length it had no stretched either. In our cars though you can run it till it snaps if you like, we have no interference. However it was fairly easy job to do, took me about 2 hours or so.

Seriously, it is not really an issue if it breaks?

Can anyone verify that?

Thanks.

+ friction said:

Can anyone verify that?

Thanks.

I thought the older Hondas (pre 2001) were the only cars with interference engines i.e. if the timing belt breaks, the valves break too.

I am also curious whether this is true for our cars. (canada)

Rudy23 said:
I thought the older Hondas (pre 2001) were the only cars with interference engines i.e. if the timing belt breaks, the valves break too.
Same with neons

Ive changed mine twice! not because they broke just thought of preventive maintence. Once when I changed cams and then after the motor swap. Its not the easiest thing to do. But its not impossiable either

Rudy23 said:

I am also curious whether this is true for our cars. (canada)
I have a friend with an older Prelude who's belt broke and he suffered no damage.

+ friction said:

Can anyone verify that?

Thanks.

Yes, the engine just stops running and there won't be any valve damage if the engine is a non-interference design. Had it go out on my 89 Civic but no damage was done, unless you count the $75 towing charge and wasting over a hour beside the highway in the rain at night waiting for the truck.

SciFiMan said:
Yes, the engine just stops running and there won't be any valve damage if the engine is a non-interference design. Had it go out on my 89 Civic but no damage was done, unless you count the $75 towing charge and wasting over a hour beside the highway in the rain at night waiting for the truck.

Thanks (and thanks to the other replies)...that's very good to know.

i wanna do this just to be on the safe side...but i know the dealer charges like 500 dollars to do this....

i see some of you have done it urself....where can i get the timing belt???

and is there a how to on how to change it???

I'm having my timing belt changed. I just don't have the time to do it myself. I'm also having the jspec intake cam put in at the same time.

You can get the timing belt from autozone

Back