Can I get the stock remote locks to work while the car is running?

Humvee

I'm getting a remote starter installed next week and although the new remote will unlock the car, I'm wondering if there's a way I can make the stock remote opener work as well while the car is running.

Thoughts?

In case you're wondering, it's a Command Start, with 2-way FM remote.

remote start

NO,
they will bypass the old system to put in the new one. O ya and make sure it is a good installer that does this,remote starts can be a supper headache if they are put in right. and if you have a standerd ask about the safty swiches that is built into the remote start that constantly check your system for your gear location. if the responce is it checks when you shut it off or what do you mean get the hell out of there, you are not geting a system that is aproved for a standard car. There is only like three systems That i know of that are really safe for a standard car, trust me on this one i work at a shop that does about 300 to 500 remote starts a year.

The stock remotes lock and unlock will work but will possibly case some problems with the new remote starter. The new remote start should be able to control the door locks so there is no reason for the stock remote at all If you only had keyless entry. If you have a stock alarm the remote starter can be integrated with it. I would suggest getting a alarm / remote start though sinc ethe stock alram is junk compared to after market ones.

Ya, it's one of the better shops in town (not a discount chain) and the car is an auto...so no problems there. I don't have a factory alarm and the unit I bought is just a starter.

The sales dude said the factory remote locks will work exactly like normal (meaning, they do not unlock the car when the car is running). The remotes that I get with the unit WILL open the car locks remotely even with the car running.

Is there a way to get the remote locks to work with the car running.

Hmmm...now that I think of it...I wonder where the remote lock-out is. Perhaps merely having the key in the ignition (car not yet started) makes the factory remote inactive. If that's the case...perhaps the factory remote will work even with the car running (but no key in the ignition)

I'm at work, can anyone give this a try today?

Typicaly a remote starter that has keyless entry build in, which is any decent one, will work the factory keyless just fine. It will stat the car without unlocking the doors and when you press unlock the doors will open even if the car is running. The factory keyless reciever will be the only part of the stock sysem not used since the remote starters remote will be used. The factory wires that the factory keyless used are actualy what need to be pulsed to lock and unlock.

Basicly just get a starter that has a 4 button remote. All four buttons should have lock and unlock. Also tell them to set it up so that it takes 2 buttons held at once to start the car for safety.

THe remote starter / alarm I had in my MX-6 that had a factory alarm worked alot like you describe. Start, lock and unlock were all totaly seperate features that could be used at any time.

get door locks

If you get the door locks on the remote start unit, as in it has its own door lock set of realeys the the car can be locked and unlocked while the car is running. If you dont go for the door locks then you wont have that controll. Thats why i Posted No, because the protege does not allow you to unlock the doors while the car is running on the stock system. At my shop we dont recomend leaving the stock system in, because it can lead to problems and stock systems are old technoligy(spelling). If you are going to get a remote start i would say just spend the extra bucks and go for remote start and alarm all in one. The best system out there that i think is the new DEI 880xp. this thing does everything, it should run around 550-600 bucks
http://www.directed.com/security/python/pyth_responder.asp

Viper

No the dont right now they just have that one wich is basiclly the 1500(1 outputs) but they are developing the 2 way for the 3000 with 6 outputs. I have not heard anything about them trying to make the viper the two way. They are going with python bacause the python is the top of the line brand they have. it used to be viper in the early 90's but now that they have started pushing python with the latest stuff they have made the python a way better system.

Back