My first CELs with the MSP

sounds like one of your solenoids might be on the fritz. they control the plates inside the mani (2 sets), not sure which corresponds with which but they open and close based on certain peramaters (cold starts, change runner length). I would check the VTCS and VICS solenoids. i dont know which the codes respond to but thats prolly the place to start.

sounds like the diaphram for the VTCS might have broke

no clue hopefully it was just a fluke.. I was boosting in 5th on the hwy when it came on going over a bridge, and about 1/4 of a mile later my gas light came on. I know it has nothing to do with the VTCS. However that was teh condidtions of when it came on but not sure on the speed.

maybe...clear the code and if there is a problem the CEL will just show up again...but if you want to check the VTCS and VICS diaphams its the same as testing the WGA

Welp I got another CEL! Care to guess what it is? I'll have to check it on my way to work but it happened boosting in 5th again.

it sounds like something with the mani (vics or vtcs, cant remember the diff), cause at like 5500 rpm or so the butterflies change to change the runner length. and if its stuck then its prolly going to keep throwing the code.

you shouldnt really be boosting in 5th anyhow unless your forged cause its alot of load and id hate to see another boom boom. (im not telling you how to drive, im just sayin, it can stress things out)

hope you get it worked out

what terbow is reffering to is the VICS....It opens up and changes the runners length to give you better low end torque and more air up top

now there are a few things to check.

start with the easiest things
1. Check the vac diaphram that is on the pass side. The one that is on the lower section of the im
2. Check out the vac soloniod (not sure how though) to make sure it is atleast doing its job
3. pull off the mani and tear it appart and check the VICS butterflies to make sure they are not broken

personally I think it would be the diaphram more than anything mostly because, I have never hear a vac soloniod going bad and I have heard diaphrams going bad

it sounds like something with the mani (vics or vtcs, cant remember the diff), cause at like 5500 rpm or so the butterflies change to change the runner length. and if its stuck then its prolly going to keep throwing the code.

you shouldnt really be boosting in 5th anyhow unless your forged cause its alot of load and id hate to see another boom boom. (im not telling you how to drive, im just sayin, it can stress things out)

hope you get it worked out

It wasn't full boost just giving it a little more gas to pass someone in 5th. I wasn't in a hurry like I would be on a 2 lane road or anything. However it did it this time goind down the bridge.

I guess Monday I will start with checking all the vac lines and any electrical connections.

I looked over the vac lines before I headed out to work and noticed a brittle vac-t that was connected to the WGA vac lines. Replaced the vac-t and tried to reproduce the CEL tonight and so far so good! no CEL!

i have the P0660 too

I have a recent annoying problem. When I'm rolling 80mph, the car comes way too rich in open loop at about -8 vacuum and the car bucks if i don't boost a little. It's ok at 77-75mph. Any idea ? I also have a brand new map/boost sensor and cleaned the connection of the solenoid valve beside the boost sensor. Another major problem is that I doesn't go rich in open loop as soon as I boost. only after the 3800rpm factor. Sometimes it's ok but I really don't know what's the problem.

i dont have the VTCS anymore, only the vics i think. The vacuum that connects to the ex vics is well plugged with a screw. I'm not sure if the remaining vacuum is plugged in the right diaphragm. I'll verify this and I'll clean those solenoid electric connections. Doubble tripple check the vaccum lines.
I'll try to bypass the cruise control. As it might be my problem or the egr valve.

I also know that I have a missing little mitsubishi cap on a solenoid valve near the TB. Still trying to find another one or a substitute.

Damn it! I haven't been able to locate any more vac leaks. Vac is around -16 to -20 depending on if the ac is on or not at idle.

The car runs fine. I also only seem to get these CELS when merging onto I-95 at midnight.. This time it appeared boostign around 3psi in 4th.

Attachments

• P0660pg1.gif
    P0660pg1.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 9,713
  • P0660pg2.gif
    P0660pg2.gif
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,222
Last edited:
Good find. Hopefully its just some smeg on the connectors that can be cleaned off. What kind of boost gauge do you have because you should see 20-22 a/c off or 18 or so with a/c on?

Ok, I was thinking another brand based on your lower readings but have not heard about any issues with that one. You might want to hook up a hand held vacuum gauge to see what it says though if you have one.

Ok, I was thinking another brand based on your lower readings but have not heard about any issues with that one. You might want to hook up a hand held vacuum gauge to see what it says though if you have one.

im waiting on my friend to get off work so i can bum his vac pump to test it.

Back