P5 w/Racing Beat springs - call for photos

JoshP5

Hold the butter
:
AccordSportMT
Anyone put Racing Beat springs on their P5? I'm not talking about those MSP or MP3 springs (those are different), I mean the ones you can buy *new* from ProtegeGarage or directly from Racing Beat.

I'm thinking of getting some but would like to see what the drop is like on a P5, so if you have this setup please post a snap or indicate front and rear wheel gap measurements if you have them. Thanks!

the drop is almost unnoticeable from what ive read and seen. if you park a reg p5 next to one with the racing beats you can tell a lil bit. but the drop is so small with the racing beat springs its not much different

No, they're not the same springs. The RB springs you can buy from RB were originally designed for the MP3. Mazda eventually decided not to use them, rather a taller/softer set was used on the MP3.

The MSP had still different springs with revised rates due to the additional weight of the turbo/intercooler/LSD.

The RB springs available from RB are stiffer than both the MP3 and the MSP springs, particularly in the rear.

Last edited:
AKYellow said:
didnt RB make the springs for the MSP? Thats what I thought anyway.....

Actually, RB doesn't make any springs. They have a supplier which makes the springs to their specs.

When I contacted RB about the MSP springs, they indicated that Mazda isn't very forthcoming about providing the spring rates, so they couldn't say what the rates were for sure.

I did get specific data about the RB spring rates - 162lb/in front, 111-190lb/in rear.

Nobody has tried these springs on the P5?

Last edited:
you get a bit more drop in the rear

dellcreekpark_1024x768.jpg

on Racing Beat springs with 40 series tire

now I have Espelir springs which drop a little more but it's even all around

so I still need to sell my (slightly used) RB springs... interested??

booom said:
on Racing Beat springs with 40 series tire

now I have Espelir springs which drop a little more but it's even all around

so I still need to sell my (slightly used) RB springs... interested??

Thanks for posting that shot--your car looks great! That's the kind of subtle look I'm going for. The unevenness isn't that noticeable there, although I realize that angle tends to hide it.

I may be interested in your RB springs, but I'm still debating between those and Tein H-Techs. I ran RB springs on my Miata and was very impressed, but it looks like I'll have to fabricate/modify the rear spring seats on the P5 to level out the drop with the RB springs. A few questions:

EDIT: Searched a bit, got some answers:
1) Are those Mazda3 17s? Yes
2) What kind of struts did you use with the Racing Beat springs? Stock
3) Can you verify RB's claim of 3/4" drop up front and 7/8" in the rear?
4) What are your observations with the stock/RB/espelir springs in terms of driving dynamics?

Last edited:
1) Yes those are Mazda3 17"s
2) Used stock struts with RB springs / now use Tokico HP (blue) Struts with Espelir (Active Super Down) springs
3) To verify that it's a little lower in the rear click here Racing Beat
4) I don't autoX so I don't really feel like I can say much about the difference in driving dynamics between the two springs but check this link and you will notice that the Espelir springs have a different coil design.

The Espelir springs are designed to get stiffer the more they are compressed I think. So my hope was that the ride would be a tiny bit less harsh than the RB springs.

I just wanted the best streetable suspension. I didn't shave my bumpstops so sometimes I get jolted when I roll over a big bump in the road.

One thing though, the 40 series tire makes a big difference in ride quality buttocks wise. For the winter I went back to the stock rims with 50 series tires and it's like I'm riding on a cloud in comparison. So now I'm also thinking about selling the 17"s too since I'm moving accross the country soon.

Thanks for the compliment - I recommend Rishie with AutoRnD (p5silver)

JoshP5 said:
Thanks for posting that shot--your car looks great! That's the kind of subtle look I'm going for. The unevenness isn't that noticeable there, although I realize that angle tends to hide it.

I may be interested in your RB springs, but I'm still debating between those and Tein H-Techs. I ran RB springs on my Miata and was very impressed, but it looks like I'll have to fabricate/modify the rear spring seats on the P5 to level out the drop with the RB springs. A few questions:

EDIT: Searched a bit, got some answers:
1) Are those Mazda3 17s? Yes
2) What kind of struts did you use with the Racing Beat springs? Stock
3) Can you verify RB's claim of 3/4" drop up front and 7/8" in the rear?
4) What are your observations with the stock/RB/espelir springs in terms of driving dynamics?

Last edited:
booom said:
The Espelir springs are designed to get stiffer the more they are compressed I think. So my hope was that the ride would be a tiny bit less harsh than the RB springs.

The RB springs are linear up front, progressive in the rear.

booom said:
I just wanted the best streetable suspension. I didn't shave my bumpstops so sometimes I get jolted when I roll over a big bump in the road.

This was my experience with my Miata--since I trimmed my bumpstops, my feeling is the struts caused this. Too much damping for the RB springs on rough roads.

booom said:
(p5silver)

Espelirs are linear in front, meaning they have a consistent compression throughout the spring...This give a better feel for turn in, and consistency through your turning arc... They are progressive in the rear meaning as the spring compresses, they become "stiffer" giving a balance of ride quality and performance....

Espelirs are the best...

Back