Strength of FP/F25M-R

Sleepy

:
2002 Mazda 323 Astina 1.8
How much torque/power/boost can the FP/F25M-R handle reliably when driven hard(but no burnouts)?

there are alot of variables involved in this question but i am going to give a rough estimate of between 170 and 200 horsepower

torque kills trannys, NOT power

but in general, the F tranny is pretty weak compared to the G tranny found in the 2.0s

Thanks, I plan on boosting and am wondering what its going to cost for 1.8 specific stuff like rods and clutch but hopefully not a Gbox conversion!

Sleepy said:
Thanks, I plan on boosting and am wondering what its going to cost for 1.8 specific stuff like rods and clutch but hopefully not a Gbox conversion!

there are currently little to no forged internal solutions for the 1.8, believe me i have searched high and low for them :(

Yeah, might need to find a 1.8 rod and send it off to be copied. Even more $$$!

there is probably a rod from another car that fits. the sr20de rods are very close to the stock fsde rods (only slightly longer and slightly wider at the big end which can easily be machined).

how long are the fp rods???

Don't know any measurements, just that it has a different part number, costs $1 less than FS rod and has a different main bearing part number so might not be interchangeable on the crankshaft either, regardless of length. Also read on this forum how the FS crank and rods won't work in FP(sticks out top of block by an inch?)

you could try and get away with the toyota 3sgte rods (138mm long vs what i think is the FP rods 138.7mm), but a lot depends on the big end bore. the fp (and 3sgte) rods have a 2.008" bore. i'm going to try and use these rods in my engine...to give a 1.5:1 rod ratio (better than 1.469:1)

Now that's interesting! Let us know how that goes. I have little mechanical skills/tools, so I have to know something works before paying someone to do stuff. How did you find the measurements of the FP rods?

fp rods - best guess. assuming the block is the same height, the crank has a 3.5mm shorter radius, so you'd then assume the rods would have to be 3.5mm longer to make up the different. big assumptions here...

some insight for you 1.8 guys;

this summer we helped FlyinHawaiian redo his FP engine. our assumption initially was that the block was identical as was the crank and the only difference between the two engines was the rod length. after going through numerous combinations we came to the conclusions such as;

using forged rods for an FS, forged pistons for an FS, FP crankshaft and FP block - rods would strike cylinder walls upon attempted rotation and pistons would clear deck height, exposing the top piston ring

using forged rods for an FS, forged pistons for an FS, FS crankshaft and FP block - rods would no longer make contact with cylinder walls but pistons would exceed overall deck height by about 3/4 of an inch

obviously the only option for him was to simply step up to a 2.0 FS block at that point as no amount of mixing or matching between the two was working

Thanks, thats useful information. Shame about the hassle for him, but posting this info could help others! Sounds expensive, swapping engine, transaxle, drive shafts etc. Is there a thread somewhere with info on hiw the swap is going?

Hey twilight, off topic , but what cam gears do you have? who from and any problems with install/tune?

Sleepy said:
Thanks, thats useful information. Shame about the hassle for him, but posting this info could help others! Sounds expensive, swapping engine, transaxle, drive shafts etc. Is there a thread somewhere with info on hiw the swap is going?

he used the 1.8 transmission it bolts up to the 2.0, so he kept his axles and transmission. i donated the FS block to him to get him on the road.

sleepy - tripoint cam gears, but i can get some made up for you. install just as easy as changing cams (if that's easy for you). they are however not dialed in (aka not tuned yet)

Thats good, could be an option for me later.
How much and how long for the cam gears? Better than $371 from corksport(srmotorsports)?

Back