Manual transmission, shifting!

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
What rpm do all you manual p5 owners usually shift at?
Usually I go to about 3 or 4, on occasions I'll bring it all the way up to 6, but won't touch red line. Is it bad to be shifting at such high rpms?

my friends say im a maniac driver(i say spirited). but i pull mine up to redline all the time(i dont bounce it off the rev limiter though). since ive owned the car and have had no major issues at all. well except abusing the stock motor mounts and shootin em to hell. and im at 120k plus miles. i dont see an issue with it but thats my view.

as long as you dont redline, but remember the engine going at higher speeds when you floor it, etc. does put extra strain on the engine, if you want the engine to last forever, shift at 3 unless going up a hill, then 3.5-4. i also occasionally give it hell and let loose (boobs)

Seriously? Your asking how to shift your car? Did you get your linsence last week or something? It's a car... the harder you push the engine the faster your going to wear the parts in the engine. Simple. But enough dickness on my part. For general driving 3 to 4 grand is a good point to shift at but when conditons warrant a harder acceleration take it up to red line then shift. The red line is the max point the engine can maintain for a short period of time. Good luck.

I normally go to 3 or 4 and then shift. I never really push this engine to the red line because there is no more power there than there is at 5k. It's kind of a gutless car like that. I like driving my bike (kawi z1000), it really starts hitting it's power at 7 k and pulls hard all the way till 11k.

:(

pareto's rule applies here:

80% of the wear comes from 20% of the use (higher RPMs)

+1 to the oil changes. I shift right after i get that shift in intake tone @ 3500ish.

oh, see I can't ever tell.. what with the turbo and all. lol

hmm... actually maybe thats the difference in the turbo spool sound I was noticing.

shouldnt be, cause i shift at 2.5K all the time for city and 3 for highway.
you are either a VERY precise driver, or a liar. lol

I have never paid attention to my actual shift points... I shift when the revs are higher than they need to be for the load... other than that I don't pay any attention to it, just drive by feel.

fuel efficient, no. you haven't even reached an RPM range where the engine is nearing efficiency... durability efficient, maybe. As long as you're not lugging it when you get to the next gear...

It is an urban myth that being soft on the go pedal is more fuel efficient than driving what I would call "normally" (old people would call it spirited)... The most fuel efficient way to drive has been proven to accelerate at a MODERATE rate, and then hold your speed.

edit, once you get your turbo kit in, I doubt you ever shift under 4K again. lol

you are either a VERY precise driver, or a liar. lol

I have never paid attention to my actual shift points... I shift when the revs are higher than they need to be for the load... other than that I don't pay any attention to it, just drive by feel.

nah im pretty precise, i average 32-34mpg driving like this. speed limits are 40-50 on the roads i drive and i use cruise all the time. but yes i shift at 2.5 up to 4th and then shift to 5th at around 36mph.

I tried shifting at 2500 and it just felt wrong. Do you feel that is more efficient?

yea it most def feels more efficient to me IMO
but every driver is different, and iono. i feel fine shifting at 2.5 and it feels hella loud at 3K even with a mazdaspeed axleback.

nah im pretty precise, i average 32-34mpg driving like this. speed limits are 40-50 on the roads i drive and i use cruise all the time. but yes i shift at 2.5 up to 4th and then shift to 5th at around 36mph.

but every driver is different, and iono. i feel fine shifting at 2.5 and it feels hella loud at 3K even with a mazdaspeed axleback.
first time in my life I've heard the MSP axelback described as loud... lol. For the record, when I was driving all over the state I was averaging the same economy with a turbo, averaging 75 mph.

i have the mazdaspeed axle back and it isnt loud at all. i dunno why so many people on this site claim that axleback is loud and droney. (chair)

Back