2014 Mazda5??

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
2013 just started but Mazda follows an early release cycle. Anyone hear any news or specs on the 2014 Mazda5? I believe the 2013 started selling mid-late first quarter 2012. I had hoped 2014 specs or speculations would be out. I'm looking into this for my parents but can't find any news. Anyone have leads? I'm hopeful for new 2.0l engine. Diesel, 6 sp auto, restyling would be asking too much.

They didn't start selling 2013s in the USA until near the end of 2012, and as of this post, the 2013 Mazda 5s still haven't shown up in Canada yet.

As DKaz said, the 2013 just came out. The 2012 was really a 2011 & 2012 combined, with a very long model-year life. I'm assuming (based on previous model-year changes to the lineup, known future plans about Sky, and speculation out of my ass) that 2014 might see a slight refresh to the styling (think the change from 2006/7 to 2008 Mazda5) and will most likely have a powertrain update, probably the Sky-G 2.0 and Sky manual/automatic transmissions. The 2.0 will have had two years in the 3 at that point with almost as much time in the CX-5, while the 2.5 will have about a year in the Mazda6 and CX-5. I imagine the 2.5 will be in too short of a supply to make it into the Mazda5. However, given that the Mazda3 most likely will see a full redesign for 2014, they might delay a substantial refresh on the Mazda5 until 2015. The second-gen Mazda5 still rides on the first-gen Mazda3 platform, so it's not like the updated 3 will affect the 5 until the third generation. Seeing as how the 5 has zero advertising in the U.S. and is selling in lower numbers than last year, I honestly would not be shocked to see the 5 disappear from North America after 2013.

I too am worried about the Mazda 5's shelf life in North America, even in Canada where the Mazda 5 (5,267 sales in 2012) lagged behind the Chevrolet Orlando (7,099 sales in 2012) and even the long in the tooth Kia Rondo (6,058 sales as of November 2012). It doesn't help that the 2012 MY Mazda 5 is heading into its 22nd month of sales, but I told Mazda they had to get that 7th seat in there somehow. Tsk tsk.

Surprisingly, 2,902 Mazda 5s were sold in the USA in December. Good incentives maybe? The Mazda 5 in Canada has been offering 0% for 84 months with 90 days no payment since late spring/early summer. Ouch.

Mazda 5 Sales Figures:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-5-sales-figures.html

Kia Rondo Sales Figures:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/kia-rondo-sales-figures.html

Chevrolet Orlando Sales Figures:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/chevrolet-orlando-sales-figures.html

I just saw the first of the 2013 Mazda5 models on the lot at my local Mazda dealer. This late rollout for the new model year has been the case at least as far back as 2008 when we bought our 2008 Mazda5 from them. The dealership seldom has more than three Mazda5's on the lot at any one time and right now there are two 2012's and one 2013. The Mazda 5 appears to be the final car in the lineup into which the redesigns and new gear filter down to. That was the case with the 2.5MZR engine and 6MT transmission. And the 2013 Mazda5 did not receive any Skyactiv treatment. It's unclear at this point whether the 2014 Mazda5 will receive either a redesign or a Skyactiv-G engine. If it does receive a Skyactive-G, will it be the 2.0L or the 2.5L? To meet demand for their 2.0L Skyactiv-G in both the Mazda3 and the CX-5, Mazda had to double it's production. The 2.5L Skyactiv-G will be first available in the new 2014 Mazda6 followed by the CX-5. Perhaps this will free up some of the 2.0L Skyactiv-G's for the 2014 Mazda5 since, if Mazda, holds true to form, they won't be released until December 2013 or January 2014 anyway. In terms of shelf life in the USA, I don't think the Mazda5 will be pulled because it enjoys good success in Europe and Asia, meaning that the tooling will still be available and since all Mazda5's are built in Japan, it's not like Mazda needs to shut down any US production lines. The Mazda3 is very successful and it shares so many components with the Mazda5 that, the 5 t's not a totally separate platform. Dropping in the 2.0L Skyactiv-G and the two Skyactiv transmissions into the Mazda5 will only make it more attractive since there won't be any significant change in power but should be a significant improvement in MPG which is what the car seems to really lack right now. I bought my 2012 Mazda5 Sport AT in October for about $19,200 and I would have gladly paid more for a Touring trim level if it meant the Skyactiv-G and tranny. I'd love to get, say, 27MPG around town and 35MPG on the highway!

Last edited:
Dropping in the 2.0L Skyactiv-G and the two Skyactiv transmissions into the Mazda5 will only make it more attractive since there won't be any significant change in power but should be a significant improvement in MPG which is what the car seems to really lack right now. I bought my 2012 Mazda5 Sport AT in October for about $19,200 and I would have gladly paid more for a Touring trim level if it meant the Skyactiv-G and tranny. I'd love to get, say, 27MPG around town and 35MPG on the highway!

Have you driven the 2.0 Skyactive yet? There is no way I would want that in an MZ5. Our MZ5 travels loaded with 3-6 people at most times and at that weight I would bet it would get worse fuel economy. Maybe the 2.5 would be better suited. I drove our MZ5 to the dealer and drove a CX5 auto/awd and it felt like the MZ5 towing a trailer with the e-brake on.

What the MZ5 needs (I already voiced my opinion with Mazda NA) is the 7th seat option and perhaps optionally available power sliders/hatch. Wind/road noise on the highway needs to be toned down a bit, too.

As DKaz said, the 2013 just came out. The 2012 was really a 2011 & 2012 combined, with a very long model-year life. I'm assuming (based on previous model-year changes to the lineup, known future plans about Sky, and speculation out of my ass) that 2014 might see a slight refresh to the styling (think the change from 2006/7 to 2008 Mazda5) and will most likely have a powertrain update, probably the Sky-G 2.0 and Sky manual/automatic transmissions. The 2.0 will have had two years in the 3 at that point with almost as much time in the CX-5, while the 2.5 will have about a year in the Mazda6 and CX-5. I imagine the 2.5 will be in too short of a supply to make it into the Mazda5. However, given that the Mazda3 most likely will see a full redesign for 2014, they might delay a substantial refresh on the Mazda5 until 2015. The second-gen Mazda5 still rides on the first-gen Mazda3 platform, so it's not like the updated 3 will affect the 5 until the third generation. Seeing as how the 5 has zero advertising in the U.S. and is selling in lower numbers than last year, I honestly would not be shocked to see the 5 disappear from North America after 2013.
Ah ok. I skipped a year. I was still thinking the 2013 was the 2012, which was released early 2011! I didn't realize the 2013 are just rolling out now. Is it any different than 2012? I should be asking if the 2013's are fitted with the new sky engine as it seems everything rolling out of Mazda recently has at least the new 2.0l engine. I guess the answer to that is no.

I too have always had the same feeling Mazda 'may' nix the Mz5 but then again it is their only minivan offering. Until a new MPV comes out, I think they will keep it for now. They are already killing the Mz2 and can understand if they end the Mz5 and focus more to push the Mz6 and Cx5.

Ah ok. I skipped a year. I was still thinking the 2013 was the 2012, which was released early 2011! I didn't realize the 2013 are just rolling out now. Is it any different than 2012? I should be asking if the 2013's are fitted with the new sky engine as it seems everything rolling out of Mazda recently has at least the new 2.0l engine. I guess the answer to that is no.

I too have always had the same feeling Mazda 'may' nix the Mz5 but then again it is their only minivan offering. Until a new MPV comes out, I think they will keep it for now. They are already killing the Mz2 and can understand if they end the Mz5 and focus more to push the Mz6 and Cx5.

Yeah, I posted a thread in the Lounge talking about the 2013 changes.

Minivans aren't popular, and it's a tough market, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the 5 disappear, but like was said above, it costs Mazda practically nothing to send it here. The Mazda2's main issues are interior size, "luxuriousness" or the lack thereof and, most importantly, powertrain competitiveness. The 2 just doesn't seem worth it to most people to get only a couple miles/gallon more than the 3 while giving up all the 3 has to offer. If Mazda would update it for the U.S. with a Sky powertrain and offer more features (and increase the interior dimensions next generation) then it'd be much more popular.

Have you driven the 2.0 Skyactive yet? There is no way I would want that in an MZ5. Our MZ5 travels loaded with 3-6 people at most times and at that weight I would bet it would get worse fuel economy. Maybe the 2.5 would be better suited. I drove our MZ5 to the dealer and drove a CX5 auto/awd and it felt like the MZ5 towing a trailer with the e-brake on.

What the MZ5 needs (I already voiced my opinion with Mazda NA) is the 7th seat option and perhaps optionally available power sliders/hatch. Wind/road noise on the highway needs to be toned down a bit, too.
The 2.0 could work if they can cut 200-300 lbs. weight reduction is also one of their targets. My guess is the 2.0 will be available as an overseas option and we'll get the 2.5, but no diesel.

The 7th jump seat doesn't meet US crash test and it is not wide enough for a 3 seat bench without hampering access to the 3rd row. Agree more options will get it more notice. Typical minivan buyers want convenience, comfort, gadgets, and mpg. They are suckers for power sliding doors and power lift gates. They don't care for dynamics. Car could use a nice dose of sound deadening too but that's more weight/cost. I don't see that happening unless Mazda want to compete with full size minivans, which the tiny (relatively speaking) Mz5 cannot compete with. I do see good signs such as better quality interiors -I hope. Their move to Mexico should save them to afford better quality components. My biggest grip against Mazda products is initial material quality but their value (they gotta make a buck somehow) is hard to beat, especially for people who care to drive.

Last edited:

I think the CX-5 feels just fine. The Sky 2.0 makes the same or more power than the MZR 2.3 that was in the first-gen Mazda5.

Too bad about the 7th seat not passing US crash test standards. I really have no idea how this car does in crash tests. The price (under $20k, Touring with Audio and Moonroof pkg) and the fact my wife loved the car sealed the deal for me at purchase time. My previous car had an MZR 2.3/manual and I would say that the MZ5 2.5 auto is superior in NVH, power output, and even MPGs in our application. I have never driven a previous GEN 2.3 equipped MZ5. I was not a fan of it in my Fusion.

I will look at the CX5 again when a base Sport Manual FWD shows up. Might be better in this config with a little less weight and powertrain drag. Only other thing I disliked about the car is the highway ride but no big deal. This will be my daily driver, 5 mile commute 5 days a week all city. Stop and go never over 45 MPH so the highway ride isn't much of an issue for me. Just need a little utility and the ability to get the kids in the back seat from time to time. Will be a nice break from driving the Mustang daily for sure.

Last edited:
The 2.0 could work if they can cut 200-300 lbs. weight reduction is also one of their targets. My guess is the 2.0 will be available as an overseas option and we'll get the 2.5, but no diesel.

The 7th jump seat doesn't meet US crash test and it is not wide enough for a 3 seat bench without hampering access to the 3rd row. Agree more options will get it more notice. Typical minivan buyers want convenience, comfort, gadgets, and mpg. They are suckers for power sliding doors and power lift gates. They don't care for dynamics. Car could use a nice dose of sound deadening too but that's more weight/cost. I don't see that happening unless Mazda want to compete with full size minivans, which the tiny (relatively speaking) Mz5 cannot compete with. I do see good signs such as better quality interiors -I hope. Their move to Mexico should save them to afford better quality components. My biggest grip against Mazda products is initial material quality but their value (they gotta make a buck somehow) is hard to beat, especially for people who care to drive.

I bet we will see the 2.0 skyactiv with both of the 6 speed sky transmissions in the 2014 Mazda5. Compared to the new Mazda6 and the CX-5, Mazda won't sell too many Mazda5s. And the big news in 2014 will be the new Skyactiv 2.5L available in the 6 and the CX-5. This should free up some of the 2.0L engines for use in the Mazda5. Then, once Mazda brings over the 2.2L turbo diesel we may see some of the Skyactiv 2.5L available in the 2015 or 2016 Mazda5.

Too bad about the 7th seat not passing US crash test standards. I really have no idea how this car does in crash tests. The price (under $20k, Touring with Audio and Moonroof pkg) and the fact my wife loved the car sealed the deal for me at purchase time. My previous car had an MZR 2.3/manual and I would say that the MZ5 2.5 auto is superior in NVH, power output, and even MPGs in our application. I have never driven a previous GEN 2.3 equipped MZ5. I was not a fan of it in my Fusion.

I will look at the CX5 again when a base Sport Manual FWD shows up. Might be better in this config with a little less weight and powertrain drag. Only other thing I disliked about the car is the highway ride but no big deal. This will be my daily driver, 5 mile commute 5 days a week all city. Stop and go never over 45 MPH so the highway ride isn't much of an issue for me. Just need a little utility and the ability to get the kids in the back seat from time to time. Will be a nice break from driving the Mustang daily for sure.

I can say that when it comes to the 2.3 MZR in the first generation 5 vs the 2.5 MZR in the second generation 5, there really isn't a big difference in power because Mazda only upped the HP by 4 from 153 to 157, and only upped the torque by 15 ft lbs from 148 to 163. I don't know why Mazda decide to only up the hp by 4 from the 2.3 in the 5, but in the 3 they increased the hp by 11 from the 2.3 to 2.5 and the torque by 18, that is why it is more noticeable in the 3 than the 5.

Yes the 2013 came late last year early this year. There very hard to find for some reason. It was a man hunt to find one but I just picked up a 2013 gt on my birthday/friday. Only differences I know of are turn signal integrated mirrors, Reverse backup sensors. They took away the 6 disk changer and despite what you may read the seat stripe is not red as it was in 2012 even though the sales brochure says red. Its now purple/mauve color. And correct no 2.0 sky active.

I've been a fan of Mazda5 for a number of years now due to its practicality, avoidance of feature-overkill aka value, and size. I have reservation about its mundane power and fuel economy (and to a lesser degree lack of the fold-out 7th seat). I was hoping for the Skyactiv engine in the 2013 model year but was told by a Mazda dealer here in the Pacific NW that it's not available and I'm quite disappointed as I'm likely to need to buy a car around summer time. I'm holding out hope that I can wait until end of 2013 to buy one and that the 2014 Mazda5 will have some kind of Skyactiv engine by then. I do agree with the need for it to increase the hp from the current model by more than 20 hp to fully realize the fuel economy gain (or the strain will neutralize the fuel economy gain) as well as addressing the performance issue. I do think the price segment will prevent it from getting the newer Skyactiv G and instead get the current Skyactiv 2.0. Alternatively, I would be perfectly happy if the 2014 Mazda5 gets the 2.2 turbo diesel; i.e. anything to push the fuel economy up while picking up some additional power and/or torque.

Quite true. Here's the page:

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/?link_id=rc

Here's the Skyactiv details:

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/skyactiv/?link_id=prlnv

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/economy/?link_id=prlnv

Digging around, I see that they advertise the 2.0 Sky-G as achieving 16.2km/ L in the JC-08 fuel economy test. (Interesting side note: this is when equipped with 16" wheels. When equipped with 17" wheels, they say the consumption will be 15.2km / L.) That converts to 38 mpg, but the JC-08 test is not the same as the EPA's, so that's not a real conversion. That compares to 13.2 km/L with the previous 2.0 engine, which is still available on non-Sky Premacies.

Here are the specifications:

http://www.premacy.mazda.co.jp/spec/specification.html?link_id=prlnv

So, we can take that to mean the Sky-G 2.0 shows a 19% improvement over the previous 2.0. The MZR2.5 is not available on the Premacy, so it's hard to get an idea of what that would mean for our fuel economy.

Really if you think about it, it is on the right side. We are one of the only countries that have our steering wheel on the left side.

Maybe you're right but I'd be damned if I can shift properly with my left hand. Even just thinking about it feels weird. LOL!

Back