Dealer extended warranty. Worth it?

Usually you can’t get a factory extended warranty once the factory standard warranty runs out. Powertrain is excluded. At least that’s how Honda does it. You would have had to extended it before 3/36.
Mazda has it for used vehicles, read the link above. There's 2 warranties, one for new, one for used. I'm sure the used will be more expensive based on mileage. My Powertrain warranty is still in effect.

If the vehicle is within 3 year/ 36k mileage, you can get an extended warranty. I’m looking at 3 different options now. It comes down to mileage vs years. 7 yr/ 75k, 8 yr/ 75k. Maybe a couple hundred difference in price from what I’ve found out. Not sure about the 10 yr/ 125k yet.

If the vehicle is within 3 year/ 36k mileage, you can get an extended warranty. I’m looking at 3 different options now. It comes down to mileage vs years. 7 yr/ 75k, 8 yr/ 75k. Maybe a couple hundred difference in price from what I’ve found out. Not sure about the 10 yr/ 125k yet.
For reference, I paid $1320 for the 8 yr/75k mile new car full platinum zero deductible plan on my 2020 CX-9 GT back in September last year. I was within the 3/36k factory warranty to purchase the new vehicle extended coverage.

So, can these Mazda extended warranties be purchased on a used 2021 CX-5 sport 2.5 NA that my brother bought recently from a Honda dealership? Meaning, can he go to a local Mazda dealer and purchase the extended warranty for powertrain? The vehicle has about 19,500 miles and the basic warranty expires June 4th of this year. The powertrain warranty is good for another two years.

Also, is there anyway to check if the previous owner had a Mazda extended warranty on the vehicle? I believe in the document posted earlier mentions that the extended warranties are transferrable.

So, can these Mazda extended warranties be purchased on a used 2021 CX-5 sport 2.5 NA that my brother bought recently from a Honda dealership? Meaning, can he go to a local Mazda dealer and purchase the extended warranty for powertrain? The vehicle has about 19,500 miles and the basic warranty expires June 4th of this year. The powertrain warranty is good for another two years.

Also, is there anyway to check if the previous owner had a Mazda extended warranty on the vehicle? I believe in the document posted earlier mentions that the extended warranties are transferrable.
Yes. He would have to purchase the used car version. At 19,500 miles he could probably find a decent price as opposed to somebody (like me) purchasing it a few months before my original Powertrain Warranty expires at 5 years.

PR E- OWNED VSA PL ANS
Mazda vehicles are eligible within current model year
plus 12 prior model years and up to 200,000 total vehicle
miles. See your dealer for eligibility requirements on
non-Mazda vehicles. Pre-Owned Vehicle Plans available
through your Mazda dealer only at the time of pre-
owned vehicle purchase or lease.

Yes. He would have to purchase the used car version. At 19,500 miles he could probably find a decent price as opposed to somebody (like me) purchasing it a few months before my original Powertrain Warranty expires at 5 years.

PR E- OWNED VSA PL ANS
Then is there anyway to check if the previous owner of the mazda had a Mazda extended warranty? It seems they can be transferred?

Yes, he can buy the extended new car warranty so long as the car is less than 36 months / 36k miles from its first sale date. Sounds like that's June 4.

I think, but am not certain, that if there's an OEM extended warranty it'll be registered with Mazda, and the Mazda service department should be able to call it up by VIN. If there's an aftermarket warranty that might not be true. If he has the Carfax on the car, he should know the selling dealership. He might call them and see if they'd have sold a different warranty, and check with them.

While he can go to a local dealership to buy the warranty, he should call around first (including out of state dealers) and negotiate. His local dealer could easily quote him $1k+ more than what's available if he does his homework first.

PR E- OWNED VSA PL ANS

This is incorrect. If the car is under 3 years / 36k miles, he can still buy the new car extended warranty from any dealer. After whichever of 3 years / 36 comes first, he has to buy the VSA used plan.

This is incorrect. If the car is under 3 years / 36k miles, he can still buy the new car extended warranty from any dealer. After whichever of 3 years / 36 comes first, he has to buy the VSA used plan.
Depends when he purchased it. It's a 2021 so it may be out of the 3yrs, but anyway he's talking about Powertrain Warranty not new car ext. warranty.

Depends when he purchased it. It's a 2021 so it may be out of the 3yrs, but anyway he's talking about Powertrain Warranty not new car ext. warranty.
The poster said the new warranty expires June 4, suggesting he's still within 3 years / 36k miles. VSA new car extended warranties come in three flavors -- Platinum (a bumper to bumper plan with exclusions), Gold (covers only systems specified in the plan), and Powertrain. All three plans are more cost effective than the VSA used car versions of the same plans, and offer available terms that are longer. Details on the plans here: https://www.mazdafinancialservices.com/us/en/vehicle-protection/vehicle-service-agreements.html

That is a really good price Tchman. My quotes are closer to $2k.
Thanks but blehh no way, those quotes should be similar to what I paid and with that they are STILL making money. In fact, the dealer I bought from told me that prices are so low because of the reliability of Mazda. Goes to show you how much markup there really is on these plans. Pure profit to dealers. Definitely can be had much lower than $2k

The poster said the new warranty expires June 4, suggesting he's still within 3 years / 36k miles. VSA new car extended warranties come in three flavors -- Platinum (a bumper to bumper plan with exclusions), Gold (covers only systems specified in the plan), and Powertrain. All three plans are more cost effective than the VSA used car versions of the same plans, and offer available terms that are longer. Details on the plans here: https://www.mazdafinancialservices.com/us/en/vehicle-protection/vehicle-service-agreements.html
The new car warranty expires on June 4th but my brother is the second owner of the vehicle and bought it at a Honda dealership in March of this year.. Not sure if this makes a difference. The first owners according to Carfax bought the vehicle at a Mazda dealership. They probably traded it in for a Honda.

The new car warranty expires on June 4th but my brother is the second owner of the vehicle and bought it at a Honda dealership in March of this year.. Not sure if this makes a difference. The first owners according to Carfax bought the vehicle at a Mazda dealership. They probably traded it in for a Honda.
The 36-month / 36,000-mile new car warranty is transferable.

I'm not an expert here, but the VSA page linked above says it's the car that's eligible based on original in service date. It doesn't say anything about limiting the ability to purchase the VSA new car plan to the first owner. So if the car is eligible, my reading is that he should still be eligible, regardless of being the second owner. But that's a good question for a dealership finance manager when getting price quotes.

I'm not an expert here, but the VSA page linked above says it's the car that's eligible based on original in service date. It doesn't say anything about limiting the ability to purchase the VSA new car plan to the first owner. So if the car is eligible, my reading is that he should still be eligible, regardless of being the second owner. But that's a good question for a dealership finance manager when getting price quotes.
So, did a quick chat with Mazda online. Here's what they just told me:

"
The Factory Warranties are listed below. These Warranties stay with the vehicle and there is no need to transfer this to another owner.

Basic: 36,000 miles or 6/3/24
Safety: 60,000 miles or 6/3/26
Perforation: Unlimited miles or 6/3/26
OEM Battery: 36,000 miles or 6/3/24
Powertrain: 60,000 miles or 6/3/26
FED. Emissions: 80,000 miles or 6/3/29

Our Mazda Financial Services Website shows you all of the Mazda offered extended service plans we offer. With the "Which Plan Is Right For You" tool, it states if your purchase was a New, Certified Pre Owned, or Pre Owned Mazda. At this time, only New or Certified Pre Owned vehicles are eligible for extended service plans.

I suggest reaching out to your local Mazda dealership to see if an extended warranty can be purchased through them or feel free to see if the Honda dealership offers third party contracts as well.
Zachary B "

It doesn't matter how many owners there are. The warranty starts with the first owner and actual in service date. Any dealer service dept can pull up the vin and verify the start and end date.

So, did a quick chat with Mazda online. Here's what they just told me:

"
The Factory Warranties are listed below. These Warranties stay with the vehicle and there is no need to transfer this to another owner.

Basic: 36,000 miles or 6/3/24
Safety: 60,000 miles or 6/3/26
Perforation: Unlimited miles or 6/3/26
OEM Battery: 36,000 miles or 6/3/24
Powertrain: 60,000 miles or 6/3/26
FED. Emissions: 80,000 miles or 6/3/29

Our Mazda Financial Services Website shows you all of the Mazda offered extended service plans we offer. With the "Which Plan Is Right For You" tool, it states if your purchase was a New, Certified Pre Owned, or Pre Owned Mazda. At this time, only New or Certified Pre Owned vehicles are eligible for extended service plans.

I suggest reaching out to your local Mazda dealership to see if an extended warranty can be purchased through them or feel free to see if the Honda dealership offers third party contracts as well.
Zachary B "
Zachary B doesn't understand his plan guidelines. Here's a screenshot of who is eligible to buy a new car VSA:

1000038113.jpg

Zachary B doesn't understand his plan guidelines. Here's a screenshot of who is eligible to buy a new car VSA:

View attachment 328089
Exactly, it's that simple. As long as within 3/36 from in service date then anyone who owns the car can purchase the NEW vehicle service plan. Doesn't matter if bought new or used from anywhere or by whom. After the 3/36 from in service date, you can only get the USED vehicle service plan with different stipulations and higher prices. Again, you can buy a USED car from anyone and be the 10th owner but as long as it is within 3/36 of the in service date then you are eligible to buy the NEW service plan product. To be clear about what an in service date is: it is the date the car was originally purchased by the first owner and driven off the lot and burning gas down the road.

Last edited:
Back