Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner on 2014 CX-5?

Recently bought a 2014 CX-5 and has 184k km (114k miles) on it. I know the previous owner wasn't using top tier fuel. I was looking at getting one of the following (based on research and forum suggestions) and curious on your guys' thoughts?

Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner, 15 oz

There's also this one I'm considering:

Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, 12 oz

Would one bottle of either of these make a difference or would I need to keep adding a bottle in every tank of gas I fill up?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Use redline. You don't need to use the entire bottle. a strong concentration mixed with 1/4 - 1/2 of a tank every so often enough. Once the engine is warmed up, go full throttle to about 5000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear to open the injectors fully, allowing the concentration to clean more effectively. You don't need to use it very often. Should feel the difference.

They're both good. I use the Redline one since I don't have access to the Chevron one locally. Follow the directions on the bottle and you're golden.

When I have an oil change coming up, I add the Redline to my gas tank and fill it up. Drive it as usual until I have about 1/2 tank of fuel remaining or less, then do an oil change. Repeat as often as you feel necessary, and switch to using Top Tier fuel when available.

Use redline. You don't need to use the entire bottle. a strong concentration mixed with 1/4 - 1/2 of a tank every so often enough. Once the engine is warmed up, go full throttle to about 5000rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear to open the injectors fully, allowing the concentration to clean more effectively. You don't need to use it very often. Should feel the difference.
Thanks for these tips, I'll give it a try!

Know this: none of these cleaners will do *anything* for the valves. Those you have to clean manually. Luckily it's a hell of a lot easier that you probably think. I had never done it before, and it was 2 hours from pulling the car into my garage to pulling back out. I could do it in WAY under an hour of I ever need it again.

Know this: none of these cleaners will do *anything* for the valves. Those you have to clean manually. Luckily it's a hell of a lot easier that you probably think. I had never done it before, and it was 2 hours from pulling the car into my garage to pulling back out. I could do it in WAY under an hour of I ever need it again.
What product did you use to clean the valves?

What product did you use to clean the valves?
I won’t speak for theblooms, but I personally used B12 chemtool when I cleaned the intake valves on my ‘13 years ago. I squirted a little on the valves (those in closed position) and gently cleaned with a pick. I siphoned the solvent back out with a large pipette. Turned the crank and got the remaining valves cleaned in same manner.

I took longer as I also used tear down as an opportunity to clean the throttle body and MAF. Throttle body and MAF cleaner was CRC brand. Don’t remove the black ring from the outside diameter of the throttle body plate. That’s supposed to be there.

Last edited:

On their product page it says it cleans valve deposits...

81oltRjtFiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Some clarification needed - for your car, the two cleaners you mentioned will work to clean the fuel injectors. They'll do nothing for the back of the intake valves as fuel doesn't make it back there due to the engine design. So, depending on what you're trying to clean, those products may or may not work.

If you want to clean the back of the intake valves, the best method is an intake valve cleaning performed by walnut blasting as @theblooms mentioned. A chemical soak with manual removal is a nice alternative.

I use the Redline. I've never found a detectable difference with any other cleaner. If it has never been done, I'd put 2 bottles in a full tank and run it low. Give it plenty of time. Then, use one bottle per tank, every 10k miles (15k km).

It will do little for your intake valves, since the engine is directly injected. I like the STP intake valve cleaner because it is easier for one person to do. I use 2 can every 30k miles (45k km). I can tell it each time, so more often wouldn't hurt. Recently, at 120k, I couldn't find it, so I used CRC.
It seems to have worked as well as STP.

I use the Redline. I've never found a detectable difference with any other cleaner. If it has never been done, I'd put 2 bottles in a full tank and run it low. Give it plenty of time. Then, use one bottle per tank, every 10k miles (15k km).

It will do little for your intake valves, since the engine is directly injected. I like the STP intake valve cleaner because it is easier for one person to do. I use 2 can every 30k miles (45k km). I can tell it each time, so more often wouldn't hurt. Recently, at 120k, I couldn't find it, so I used CRC.
It seems to have worked as well as STP.
2 bottles on a single tank is nearly 3x stronger dilution than what's recommended on the bottle. Don't do that.

One bottle is plenty. You could do half a bottle on a half tank, or even a third and third. That's still a strong concentration which will lean everything effectively.

2 bottles on a single tank is nearly 3x stronger dilution than what's recommended on the bottle. Don't do that.

And that's the point, in an engine that likely has never had the injectors cleaned. I have done and recommended this to several people and always had complete success. The worst it will do is turn your spark plugs (and pistons and combustion chamber) pink, temporarily.

And that's the point, in an engine that likely has never had the injectors cleaned. I have done and recommended this to several people and always had complete success. The worst it will do is turn your spark plugs (and pistons and combustion chamber) pink, temporarily.
1 bottle is used to treat 76L of fuel. One bottle will already clean out everything quite effectively.

Back