Need tires for 2016 CX-5 Sport, Michelin - Defender2, any good?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Looking to replace my tires and saw the Michelin - Defender2 on sales at Costco for $739 installed plus tax. Does anyone else have these tires on their CX-5? I live in South Florida so would be getting All Season tires.

There are also the BFGoodrich - Advantage Control for about $649 installed plus tax.

That's a really good price. Costco must have lowered their prices since I last checked, which admittedly has been quite a while.
I can't speak for the Michelins but Costco sells a lot of them. You could check tire reviews on Tirerack.com website.
I won't touch a BF Goodrich tire after my experience with them. Between the two I'd go with the Michelin. Also , Michelin owns BFG and it's their middle tier tire with Uniroyal being the lowest. So Michelin is at the top of the hierarchy.
I'm sure other members here could give you their experiences since as I said I don't have experience with them.

Looking to replace my tires and saw the Michelin - Defender2 on sales at Costco for $739 installed plus tax. Does anyone else have these tires on their CX-5? I live in South Florida so would be getting All Season tires.

There are also the BFGoodrich - Advantage Control for about $649 installed plus tax.

Get those exact Michelins. They are excellent for a daily driver. You cannot do better.

So, went to Costco and spoke to the tire guy and he said they didn't have the Micheline Defender 2 in stock, but he said that the Michelin X Tour A/S is the same exact tire but made exclusively for Costco. Bought those and will have them installed next Saturday @Jmaz @theblooms .

Bingo. You'll appreciate them, for real.

And as far as being $240 more, look at it this way: these tires will last at least 60,000 actual miles. Assuming 12,000 miles per year, that's 5 years, or $4 per month. Pretty much nothing.

And as far as being $240 more, look at it this way: these tires will last at least 60,000 actual miles. Assuming 12,000 miles per year, that's 5 years, or $4 per month. Pretty much nothing.
If I can get 60k on these tires in South Florida, I'll be happy.

Of course we can easily justify the extra money for tires for a car that we enjoy driving. After all, we are enthusiasts.

However, that does not describe everyone. The vibe I got was they were looking for mid-range tires, based on the price range they were looking at. Therefore the question becomes, is it worth the difference for someone who just wants to daily drive their car and doesn't really care about the details? As far as I can tell, the Michelins might be 10% better but are more than 10% more expensive.

Another real world example: I'm putting Continental ExtremeContacts on my CX-5 and can justify it, however the Mrs wants something more along the lines of the Kumho HP71 in terms of bang for the buck. She is not a car enthusiast. Therefore I didn't want to assume.

Looking to replace my tires and saw the Michelin - Defender2 on sales at Costco for $739 installed plus tax. Does anyone else have these tires on their CX-5?
My son has those on his Mazda 3 for about a year now & is very pleased.
I know, different car but still on a Mazda.

I bought Pirelli Scorpion AS+3's from COSTCO and absolutely love them. I had considered the Michelin CC2's and the Continental LX25's but the spec's on the Pirelli's matched all my wants.

My CX-5 had Michelin CrossClimate2 installed two seasons ago at Costco. Best all-season tire I've ever used hands down. I've since put almost 40K on them and they are still quiet, have ferocious grip in water or bad weather.

I've made a point of scheduling a rotate and balance around each oil change when the wrench pops up on my dash. Costco doesn't seem to mind rotating early each time.

They also seem to make the vehicle handle a bit better.

Was hesitant on the price, but if I get anywhere near 70K+ out of them it is well worth it.

I just got the Michelin X Tour A/S installed on 2016 CX-5 sport at Costco and they are very nice. So, took it to BJ's because they do alignments and Costco does not. The guy put it on the machine and showed me the report that I don't need an alignment. Usually, I get the alignment when I get new tires.

The car never pulls, and the previous tires never had uneven wear.

Last edited:
Back