2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Unfortunately, that's all I can see with those comments. There are no additional details provided by CR. There is like one mention of "Cylinder Head". I am accessing the information using my library account.
Yes, it is all about what's printed. And because there's nothing in there at all about cracked heads, it doesn't belong in this thread.

If you desire to look for a cracked head yourself, this video is a good way. Not sure what year or exact model is shown but it's the common issue at hand. I have a 2020 CX5 at 42K and figures crossed. No real issues yet. Other than chewing up tires.

If you desire to look for a cracked head yourself, this video is a good way. Not sure what year or exact model is shown but it's the common issue at hand. I have a 2020 CX5 at 42K and figures crossed. No real issues yet. Other than chewing up tires.
My brother's is a 2021 cx-5 2.5 NA. Thanks for the video, just saw it earlier today. Good to hear yours is holding up.

Yes, that’s a good video to check the oil leak area for the 2.5L NA with CD. The poster says it’s a 2.5L NA with CD in his 2020 Mazda3 with 47,000 miles.

Just read the comments and there’re more people there having the cracked head problem on their 2.5L NA with CD.

This’s a problem that you never know when it’s going to happen. No cracked head today doesn’t guarantee you it won’t crack tomorrow. It may never happen to you if you’re lucky.

For the 2.5T which has original head you should try to avoid driving on the rough road, or the heavy exhaust manifold may cause the crack to the head, according to the TSB.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s a good video to check the oil leak area for the 2.5L NA with CD. The poster says it’s a 2.5L NA with CD in his 2020 Mazda3 with 47,000 miles.

Just read the comments and there’re more people there having the cracked head problem on their 2.5L NA with CD.

This’s a problem that you never know when it’s going to happen. No cracked head today doesn’t guarantee you it won’t crack tomorrow. It may never happen to you if you’re lucky.

For the 2.5T which has original head you should try to avoid driving on the rough road, or the heavy exhaust manifold may cause the crack to the head, according to the TSB.
Agreed. Wish there was way to pinpoint which facility produced the suspect castings that are referred to. Was there only one factory for head castings or more? My CX5 was built in Japan but not sure of other components. The trans was Japan. It's really a shame that Mazda is getting some deserved recognition for quality while the other Japan cars are have major issues. Like 'low tension rings' and
'cvt' failures and more. I have always run my cars to at least 200k but don't feel it's gonna happen this time. Mazda slipped one in on me with the little spare tire. My bad for not doing the homework on a new car these days. Can't imagine being on I-40 in New Mexico and having to run on one in the summer. High on the list before vacation in May is to find a full size spare.

Agreed. Wish there was way to pinpoint which facility produced the suspect castings that are referred to. Was there only one factory for head castings or more? My CX5 was built in Japan but not sure of other components. The trans was Japan. It's really a shame that Mazda is getting some deserved recognition for quality while the other Japan cars are have major issues. Like 'low tension rings' and
'cvt' failures and more. I have always run my cars to at least 200k but don't feel it's gonna happen this time. Mazda slipped one in on me with the little spare tire. My bad for not doing the homework on a new car these days. Can't imagine being on I-40 in New Mexico and having to run on one in the summer. High on the list before vacation in May is to find a full size spare.
I simply don’t believe the cracked cylinder head is a casting issue. Like the 2.5T, the head on the original 2.5L NA got modified to accommodate the cylinder deactivation plumbing hence weakened the suspect area (2mm thin wall showed by the YouTube video from Ukraine / Russia). It’s a design issue, not a manufacture issue.

Mazda modified the cylinder head from original 2.5L NA for both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD. And both modified heads have developed crack issue in different areas. It isn’t a coincident, but a failure on longevity during the modification process to the original cylinder head.

⋯ Mazda slipped one in on me with the little spare tire. My bad for not doing the homework on a new car these days. Can't imagine being on I-40 in New Mexico and having to run on one in the summer. High on the list before vacation in May is to find a full size spare.
I got a 18X4 steel wheel compact spare from a gen-1 2015 CX-9 which at least has correct size on outer diameter with Dunlop Space Miser MKIII T155/90D18 103M tire.

2017 CX-5 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

It fits perfectly in the spare tire well, without raising the trunk floor:

Do you know what the thickness of the affected area is on the original 2.5L? Curious how much it was reduced

I simply don’t believe the cracked cylinder head is a casting issue. Like the 2.5T, the head on the original 2.5L NA got modified to accommodate the cylinder deactivation plumbing hence weakened the suspect area (2mm thin wall showed by the YouTube video from Ukraine / Russia). It’s a design issue, not a manufacture issue.

Mazda modified the cylinder head from original 2.5L NA for both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD. And both modified heads have developed crack issue in different areas. It isn’t a coincident, but a failure on longevity during the modification process to the original cylinder head.

Do you know what the thickness of the affected area is on the original 2.5L? Curious how much it was reduced
Don’t know. But we almost have never heard a 2.5L NA without CD had cracked cylinder head problem, that should have enough evidence that the modified heads for CD and turbo have been compromised at the cracked area.

The YouTuber from Ukraine / Russia did mention he compared the similar area from other heads at Mazda’s 2 mm location where it’s cracked and others usually are at least 7 mm thick.

2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Regarding the topic,
The mechanic from the videos I posted before seems to be very experienced and he was literally shocked when he started welding the crack. The thickness of aluminum in that area was around 2mm. As an example, he was comparing and showing some Chinese brand cylinder head he found in his workshop, and the thickness of the aluminum edge there was about 7mm, which is approx 3,5 thicker.
Finally, he was highly disappointed with the way how Mazda designed the new cylinder head, specifically in saving the cost of aluminum in that area.
His advice was to not leave this particular engine downtime for a long period, as hydraulic cranks (the area where cracks appear)can possibly get jammed and cause significant stress when the engine is starting again after a long downtime.

Actually, this car came from the US - if you noticed it has CA license plate, probably he bought it at auction...

75B72477-160E-4612-AB72-A7A432275359.jpeg

So. Is there more than one plant that makes the cylinder heads and where are they located?
Only Mazda knows. But usually the cylinder head is manufactured in an engine plant by the car manufacture, i.e. Mazda itself. IMO this cracked head is a design issue, not the manufacture issue. It doesn’t matter if it’s made in Japan or made in China from Mazda’s engine plants. They all will come with a 2 mm thin wall which is prone to crack based on the Ukrainian / Russian video.

I wonder if people who have had the cracked head issue can start reporting this on that page. Maybe it will gain some traction and visibility if enough people do it.

Do not do that. We have separate threads for each issue to ensure that the information and reports provided for each issue are relevant. In fact, there are multiple threads for the 2.5 NA cylinder head cracking issue - there's this one for discussing frequency of the issue, and another one for reports of repairs completed to keep an eye on whether the repair is successful. Both threads share general information regarding the severity of the problem and whether the issue was covered under warranty, or partial/full coverage via goodwill repair.

Reporting 2.5L NA issues in a thread dedicated to a class action lawsuit thread regarding 2.5T issues only serves to create confusion between the two issues in that thread.

Do not do that. We have separate threads for each issue to ensure that the information and reports provided for each issue are relevant. In fact, there are multiple threads for the 2.5 NA cylinder head cracking issue - there's this one for discussing frequency of the issue, and another one for reports of repairs completed to keep an eye on whether the repair is successful. Both threads share general information regarding the severity of the problem and whether the issue was covered under warranty, or partial/full coverage via goodwill repair.

Reporting 2.5L NA issues in a thread dedicated to a class action lawsuit thread regarding 2.5T issues only serves to create confusion between the two issues in that thread.
No, I didn't mean that anyone report it on these threads. If you go to the actual class action site, people who have had these cracked head issues probably can contact the lawyers as there is no obligation. Just to bring visibility.

Are the

are the 2.5 NA cylinder head cracks in the same area as the CD and Turbo engines?

are the 2.5 NA cylinder head cracks in the same area as the CD and Turbo engines?
2.5L NA without CD (2017 CX-5 and prior) does not have head crack issue. Head crack on 2.5L NA with CD develops the oil leak, whereas head crack on 2.5T develops the coolant leak. Hence they are not at the same area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back