Mazda Air Filter - OEM versus Aftermarket

It's 2015. Almost '16. I don't believe that you can buy a popular name brand air filter now days of any type and have problems other then user error (over oiling/not cleaning/replacing).

Guess again. Air filters filter different amounts of particulates. Some designs just work better than others.

We are in a sue happy era & its not the auto industries first rodeo. Companies can't risk reputations with the informed modern consumer or they just won't last.

I think it was P. T. Barnum who said "There's a sucker born every minute".

That's why the first step to a power/band performance increase is a tune. Then a high flow air intake will be useful as the pumping characteristics of the motor will be altered to benefit from this. The website is down right now because they are switching form MazdaEdit to ECUTek, but I think it's about $350-$400 and that's an individualized data logged remote tune. Tuned for your fuel choice 87-93, or if you want to deal with mixing/availability, E85. Mines tuned on 93. When I tested the MAF difference between a high flow panel filter, and the OEM filter, the difference was maybe 10 g/s max; for the 2.5 I have and 2.0 I had. The difference with the SRI was over 30 g/s max, and my motor can utilize that extra air flow for increased power output (tuned). The OEM airbox (regardless of filter) will give you better IAT's all around, mainly better for low speed grunt, but once you are high speed the IAT's are similar.

I said the computer adjust the FUEL AIRFLOW RATIO, not the airflow. MikeM described it more elegantly. Ed

Wow, Didn't realize these cars are so technologically advanced...its great to see that from Mazda

Wow, Didn't realize these cars are so technologically advanced...its great to see that from Mazda

To be honest most of the "realtime" adjustment tech (I.e VVT) has been around sine the late 80s. Most of the basic realtime features on the sky engine (aside from comp ratio) are found on the Mivec engine as well, which is in the Mitsubishi Mirage (one of the cheapest new cars in NA). mass air flow sensors are not new and relly nothing about how the engine determines afr is either..

I had once replaced the air filter on my 2016 CX-5 sport with a Denso air filter thinking that it would make no difference. But the car did not seem to perform the same way. Was a bit sluggish upon acceleration. Even my wife noticed this as this is her vehicle. I then bought a new Mazda air filter and the performance was much better and back to normal.

After that experience I just stick with the Mazda air filter.

I had once replaced the air filter on my 2016 CX-5 sport with a Denso air filter thinking that it would make no difference. But the car did not seem to perform the same way. Was a bit sluggish upon acceleration. Even my wife noticed this as this is her vehicle. I then bought a new Mazda air filter and the performance was much better and back to normal.

After that experience I just stick with the Mazda air filter.
Like Mazda OEM oil filters, Denso could be the one manufacturing the air filters for Mazda. The quality on parts should be good from Denso and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it if the OEM part somehow isn’t available. Is it possible that your Denso air filter could be a counterfeit? In any case sticking with OEM parts is a good thing especially if you DIY. The only thing I’m willing to settle for (much cheaper) aftermarket part is the cabin air filter nowadays.

Like Mazda OEM oil filters, Denso could be the one manufacturing the air filters for Mazda. The quality on parts should be good from Denso and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it if the OEM part somehow isn’t available. Is it possible that your Denso air filter could be a counterfeit? In any case sticking with OEM parts is a good thing especially if you DIY. The only thing I’m willing to settle for (much cheaper) aftermarket part is the cabin air filter nowadays.
ditto. Denso makes many OEM filters.

I believe I bought the Denso air filter from Rock Auto. I know Denso is very good because they are the OEM for Toyota. My 2010 Corolla uses Denso Plugs. Also, I believe they make the Air Filter for Toyota. On my Corolla I have used the Toyota branded air filter and also the one that Denso sells to suppliers such as Rock Auto. But in my Toyota using the Denso branded filter was equivalent to the Toyota branded air filter.

Also, for cabin filters I just buy aftermarket ones from Amazon. Don't really used Mazda for them. Can't really tell a difference with the cabin filters.

Last edited:
Back