2022 CX-5 Rubbing sound from engine compartment

My 2022 CX-5 has been great so far. This morning when I started it up and it is idling, I hear a quite rhythmic rubbing noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds kinda like an out of balance washing machine on the spin cycle but not very loud. If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine it is separate and continues the same rhythm unaffected by the engine. If I turn the heater/ AC unit on and off it continues. I can hear it while driving. Maybe it is the power steering system.

Anyone had this experience ? I'd like to get a clue about this before I take it in.

It can't be diagnosed on this forum. Best bet is dealer since you should be under warranty. If it's engine/drive train that's 5yrs 60k miles.

You can record a video and upload it directly to the forum, or to YouTube and post the link here. But you'll have to make sure its audible in the video. Ideally you would take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it.

If the sound doesn't change with engine RPMs then it must be related to an electric motor of some sort and the only one I can think of would be the motor for the radiator fan.

The sound disappeared. I think I had a leaf or something stuck in the radiator fan as Stickerbush mentioned. Thanks for the input.

My 2022 CX-5 has been great so far. This morning when I started it up and it is idling, I hear a quite rhythmic rubbing noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds kinda like an out of balance washing machine on the spin cycle but not very loud. If I put the car in neutral and rev the engine it is separate and continues the same rhythm unaffected by the engine. If I turn the heater/ AC unit on and off it continues. I can hear it while driving. Maybe it is the power steering system.

Anyone had this experience ? I'd like to get a clue about this before I take it in.

Remember that the power steering is electronic.

I Figured it out. It is the adaptive lights. They have a little motor in them. I have a 2022 CX-5. Apparently it is an issue with these models. It sounds different at different times. I turned on the ignition without starting the motor and you can hear it. Then when you turn off the car the headlights stay lit for a while. The noise stops when the headlights turn off. I already have 29K on the car so I am lucky that the warranty still applies. It can make a loud noise when you turn the car off, sometimes it is very quite. It can be either right or left headlight. Hopefully the replacement lights are better.

I found this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comments/zr1huv/2022_headlight_issue/

2022+ headlight issue​

I previously posted on here about my 2022 CX-5 (Turbo, if there’s a difference between the trims) headlights making a weird winding noise. I just wanted to let everyone know that I took it to the dealer and was told that this was the second CX-5 that came in with this issue in the past week. I’m assuming the redesigned headlights have a bit of a flaw. The part is being ordered and it will be covered under warranty. Just a heads up to anyone else with a 2022 and up Mazda to be on the lookout for this.

Back