Mazdaspeed Protege Shock absorber options?

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I recently picked up a 2003.5 msp, and the previous owner put super cheap ebay coilovers on the car, the ride is very uncomfortable. So I wanted to redo the suspension the right way this time, but the only real option I can find for shocks are from KYB. Ideally, Tokico blues or illuminas would be the way to go, but considering that these have been out of production for 10+ years, I don't see that working out. Are there any other options other than kybs or coilovers, also has anyone tried the kybs? I would like to avoid coilovers because of the price and comfort.

KYB are terrible. I've seen a few posts saying that the original Tokico are still availble from Mazda, but they aren't Blue anymore. Highly recommend going back to the stock setup as Mazda engineers did such a great job balancing handling and comfort.

Are there any other options other than kybs or coilovers, also has anyone tried the kybs? I would like to avoid coilovers because of the price and comfort.

Just to be clear, it sounds like you have cheap crappy coilovers and they ride like crap. Expensive coilovers are the solution. There are exactly zero shortcuts to dialing in your suspension. Buy the right suspension equipment the first time and you will easily save money over time saved removing and reinstalling as well as the alignment needing to be redone each time.

Yeah, the oem setup would be best, do you have links to those other posts for more info? Also about coilovers, the brands that I've found that still make coilovers for this car are YSR, BC, KSport, and KW. KW are kinda out of my budget(2.3k!), and I've heard decent things about BC's but they are still in the realm of cheap coilovers(1.2k). There just doesn't seem to be many options for better coilovers for this car.
Thanks for the insight on KYB, probably won't go that route then- The stock suspension from Mazda will probably be super expensive- still interested but I'll probably just end up going the coilover route.

My friends and I have been through this a bunch of times on many different platforms. @Diamond_Dave is right. If there really are no options beyond the ones listed here... that sucks, but don't take it as a reason to buy something subpar. Bad stuff is still bad even if alternatives are scarce. If this were my car and I had to choose from the options listed here, I'd either spring for KW or go stock.

Everything at the BC tier and below is different variations on the same theme: cheap kits thrown together with impressive-seeming features and no real development work done to make sure it actually works right. Their stuff might seem tolerable on a test drive, but there’s always something about them that sucks the fun out of driving in ways you may or may not be able to put your finger on. And then one day, out of nowhere, you hit just that right combination of bumps and speed, and the car suddenly loses all composure, and all you can do is pucker up and hope you don’t crash. Unless the dampers blow out first and you have to park the car while you figure out a replacement (which honestly might be a better outcome). Speaking from multiple experiences here.

KW is okay. More well-built than well-optimized, but lightyears ahead of cheaper products either way. You might be underwhelmed at times, but you can trust it never to do anything truly stupid.

Of the companies mentioned here, only one put in the time, talent, and resources to make a great product. Only one makes something that we know works well. That's Mazda.

Last edited:
I recently picked up a 2003.5 msp, and the previous owner put super cheap ebay coilovers on the car, the ride is very uncomfortable. So I wanted to redo the suspension the right way this time, but the only real option I can find for shocks are from KYB. Ideally, Tokico blues or illuminas would be the way to go, but considering that these have been out of production for 10+ years, I don't see that working out. Are there any other options other than kybs or coilovers, also has anyone tried the kybs? I would like to avoid coilovers because of the price and comfort.
Fortune auto, scale, and silvers suspension also still make kits! Fortune auto is amazing quality for the price, tons of info available about them online

Fortune auto, scale, and silvers suspension also still make kits! Fortune auto is amazing quality for the price, tons of info available about them online
I was really interested in the Fortune auto's but they told me the 323/protege kit had been discontinued when I contacted them. I wish I had known about the Silvers or Scale options earlier, those look pretty well priced. Unfortunately I ended up compromising and just got the BCs a few weeks ago. Its honestly not how I wanted it to go, but most others were simply out of my budget and OEM is kinda out of the question at this point too. It may not be done 100% 'right' but it's certainly better than the previous coils. Thanks for the suggestions though, if the BCs are really as bad as others say, I'll try to get some nicer ones when I have more income. I'll let y'all know how they feel once I'm done installing them. Just reading this thread is giving me buyers remorse, and I haven't even driven on them yet lol

I was really interested in the Fortune auto's but they told me the 323/protege kit had been discontinued when I contacted them. I wish I had known about the Silvers or Scale options earlier, those look pretty well priced. Unfortunately I ended up compromising and just got the BCs a few weeks ago. Its honestly not how I wanted it to go, but most others were simply out of my budget and OEM is kinda out of the question at this point too. It may not be done 100% 'right' but it's certainly better than the previous coils. Thanks for the suggestions though, if the BCs are really as bad as others say, I'll try to get some nicer ones when I have more income. I'll let y'all know how they feel once I'm done installing them. Just reading this thread is giving me buyers remorse, and I haven't even driven on them yet lol
I have heard mostly good things about BCs overall, however I have not personally experienced the sets they make for the protégé. Everybody I know with BCs truly enjoy them on their cars and have had virtually nothing negative to say about them quality or customer service wise. I am personally picking up a set of JICs with swift springs on them at the end of this month, I will try to let you guys know how they are if they are still available when I can go pick them up.

It may not be done 100% 'right' but it's certainly better than the previous coils. Thanks for the suggestions though, if the BCs are really as bad as others say, I'll try to get some nicer ones when I have more income. I'll let y'all know how they feel once I'm done installing them. Just reading this thread is giving me buyers remorse, and I haven't even driven on them yet lol
I'd be remiss if I didn't point out it's a damn sight less than 100%. But you're right – you could have done FAR worse.

If the BCs work for you – and if they never bite you, which I'm sure they will but hope they won't – that's what really matters. Don't let me or anyone else talk you out of it.

And if they end up not working out, at least you'll have found out for yourself instead of taking the word of some salty big-worded forum randos, and there will most likely be at least one upgrade out there (stock, KW, or something else) when you're ready.

Latest posts

Back