CX-5 Year, Mileage and Repairs

I believe the 2024 CX-90 has a full belly pan. They had one up on a lift in the showroom where I bought my CX-5.
Yes our 2024 has a full belly pan to the rear drive shaft. Mazda put an access port to get to the oil filter and drain plug. Got to help aerodynamics too.

2021 CX 5 Carbon AWD Turbo 14k miles. Oil changes, K&N Filter and Corksport Exhaust. NO ISSUES

If I had a 13 I would have replaced the radio by now. :)
It wasn't till we bought our first car with CarPlay a couple years ago that made me realize how truly awful my head unit is and contemplate replacement. But at this point I'm not putting that kind of money and time into a car that old.

It wasn't till we bought our first car with CarPlay a couple years ago that made me realize how truly awful my head unit is and contemplate replacement. But at this point I'm not putting that kind of money and time into a car that old.
You think a 2013 is an old car?

Woah. We have extraordinarily different opinions on what constitutes an "old car".

Woah. We have extraordinarily different opinions on what constitutes an "old car".
Average age of vehicles on the road in the United States is 12 years. I wouldn't call it old yet but it's getting there.

Interesting stats here

IMG_2041.jpeg

2016 CX-5. 143K miles. Tires, brakes (pads, rotors, and calipers), oil changes (just got one yesterday, Amsoil 0W-20), air filters. First "major repair" is coming this month. Lower control arms and wheel bearings in the front. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan roads are not kind to a vehicle. Not much as far as rust- but I do take it through one of those monthly membership washes 1-2x a week if possible.
Man, the new control arms and wheel bearings make it drive like an entirely new car. No more clunking and clanging and I can take cloverleaf ramps at speed again. I would highly recommend replacing the lower control arms if your CX-5 is over 100K miles and you live in a pot hole capitol like myself.

2014 white awd gs 220,000km rebuilt title, so far i replaced 2 screws that were missing from one of the door latches, i replaced the rear wiper blade rubber insert, and i removed a compustar remote start system, i broke the clips that hold the power adjustment for the mirror on, and my mirrors are heated and blindspot, so i plan to buy the cheapest mirror and peel the back off and transfer it to my mirror, i'm missing the two front engine splash guards so i will have to get those, and i'm going to get the liftgate damper, and the fuel filler neck recalls done on wednesday, i replaced my cabin air filter (probably never replaced as it was filthy), horn sounds like its on its way out, so will probably replace down the line

still need to do fluid changes but i'll wait till spring for that

Average age of vehicles on the road in the United States is 12 years. I wouldn't call it old yet but it's getting there.
A car isn't old until the local parts store has to special order stuff like alternators and water pumps instead of having them in on the shelf.

I had to order the power steering pump for my 1975 C10. So that's actually old.

We did just sell our 2006 Acura RSX, that one was getting up there. So my 2013 (that we've had since July 2012) is "old" relative to our three-year-old Highlander.

@doughboy52 - I'm still hanging onto my '07 G35x I purchased new.. took delivery 17 years ago this month. I'd be good letting it go at 20 years...last rig I passed onto my nephew back in 2017.. ('96 Ford Explorer 5.0L AWD (also purchased new)

If he gets it to 30 years he won't have to purchase yearly license/tabs for it and can register as collector car in WA state.

@doughboy52 - I'm still hanging onto my '07 G35x I purchased new.. took delivery 17 years ago this month. I'd be good letting it go at 20 years...last rig I passed onto my nephew back in 2017.. ('96 Ford Explorer 5.0L AWD (also purchased new)

If he gets it to 30 years he won't have to purchase yearly license/tabs for it and can register as collector car in WA state.
It's sad letting a car like that go! That RSX was my wife's first car out of college and was a great little car. But it was a third car seeing little use while we cart around the kids and was in desperate need of tires. Decided not to pay the money for tires and reap the savings by shedding it from our insurance policy.

I was fat, dumb and happy with our 06 Ram diesel and 09 Honda Accord. My wife wanted to sit higher than the Honda and feel safer. We now have a '24 CX-5 Prem, T. I plan for this to last as long as we can drive. I loved having super low tag/property taxes on these two. The Ram is a flat $50/year after it reached 15 years old.

The Ram has 265K mi on the clock and tows a 10,000 pound trailer hundreds of miles per trip. At 230K many of the accessories needed replacing: starter, alt, rad, AC, Power Steering, steering rack and trans. I did most of the work over the past 35,000 miles. It's still cheaper than buying a new 2500 diesel truck and deal with the DEF issues. Honestly, there is not much left that has not been R&R.

I'll apply what I learned owning the Ram and Honda to the Mazda.
Keep all the fluids changed regularly. There is no such thing as for life fluids.
Don't beat on it. Enjoy it but don't abuse it.
Keep the fuel tank topped off to avoid water contamination that hurts high pressure injectors. My diesel injectors have 265,000 miles on them and going strong.
Avoid parts store parts, they are junk.
Change out sensors on the engine at a 100K, again, NOT parts store or counterfeit junk.

CX5 2022 Premium Plus Package, at least 7 visits to the dealership.
Once, it died in the middle of Wyoming desert while returning from Chicago. Scary as there si not dealership in Wyoming.

The second time engine died in the middle of the intersection by the truck stop. Scary
The third time it died in the front of my house. Master light on. Engine light on. Break failed light on. The board was wild. Spinning like crazy.
Fourth and fifth times the same issue.
This Sixt time buzzing noise from the headlights. Replaced.
oh I forgot - the fuel pump was replaced with less than 3200 miles on. :0

what to say: I am a very happy customer. LOve my car :)

Once, it died in the middle of Wyoming desert while returning from Chicago. Scary as there si not dealership in Wyoming.

The second time engine died in the middle of the intersection by the truck stop. Scary
The third time it died in the front of my house. Master light on. Engine light on. Break failed light on. The board was wild. Spinning like crazy.

Holy cow, you got a lemon, which is super rare. I guess nobody's perfect, not even Mazda.

X2 on a lemond. Three strikes and they get the car back...

So far, our 24, Pemium, turbo has not been back to the dealer...

Last edited:

what was the causes of it dying those 3 times?

what was the causes of it dying those 3 times?
The first time they said they had no idea. Finally, they replaced both pressure pumps. Not sure if it fixed the issue, since the check engine light was getting on and off.
The third issue - is some electrical problems. While driving all of a sudden I got tons of warning messages in my Mazda app,, highlighting different issues.
IMG_4196.PNG
After the car was parked overnight it couldn't start. When finally powered on it went crazy. The same dealership told me it was possessed when they saw a video of the board bipping, glitching etc. It happened 3x times. I am just saying, that I am very happy customer. :)

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible there was an attempt to steal your car and some wires or electronics were damaged?

Latest posts

Back