CX-5 Year, Mileage and Repairs

2016 CX-5. 143K miles. Tires, brakes (pads, rotors, and calipers), oil changes (just got one yesterday, Amsoil 0W-20), air filters. First "major repair" is coming this month. Lower control arms and wheel bearings in the front. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan roads are not kind to a vehicle. Not much as far as rust- but I do take it through one of those monthly membership washes 1-2x a week if possible.

2016 CX-5. 143K miles. Tires, brakes (pads, rotors, and calipers), oil changes (just got one yesterday, Amsoil 0W-20), air filters. First "major repair" is coming this month. Lower control arms and wheel bearings in the front. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan roads are not kind to a vehicle. Not much as far as rust- but I do take it through one of those monthly membership washes 1-2x a week if possible.
Wheel bearings I don't hear much about but the lower control arms don't surprise. Am surprised they lasted that long on your roads. I would guess the front stabilizer bar bushings and end links would be replaced as well if they haven't been. Can't imagine them not being beat -up at that mileage. What are the tie rod ends like? Might consider replacing them also since they are not expensive and an alignment is needed after LCA replacement. Might save the cost of another alignment later on.

I wonder why they don't put flat panels under the entire car like race cars use. They know it would help economy and keep things clean.

I wonder why they don't put flat panels under the entire car like race cars use. They know it would help economy and keep things clean.
I believe the 2024 CX-90 has a full belly pan. They had one up on a lift in the showroom where I bought my CX-5.

2015 GT with 129,200km

Total cost since Aug 2014 is $75,437. This includes everything to do with the vehicle. Purchase price, gas, insurance, routine maintenance and all parts, etc. This works out to $0.58 per km or $7300 per year.

I have been extremely happy with this vehicle.

Under warranty:
- Fix rattle in window
- Replace bluetooth module
- TSB fix rattle in window (again)

Other unusual costs:
- Left front wheel bearing
- Fix both front door speakers that rattle because water infiltration makes speaker membrane detach

Otherwise it has all been routine - brakes, rotors,, tires, oil changes, cabin & air filters. I do most of this myself except oil changes.

I believe the 2024 CX-90 has a full belly pan. They had one up on a lift in the showroom where I bought my CX-5.
From the dealership in Lakeland, Florida. Most of the underside is covered.

Attachments

• Image0.jpeg
    Image0.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 66
2013 Touring AWD, 284,600 miles.

Other than LCAs, not much outside of normal maintenance. I did put injectors and a brake master on it at around 270k.

Between my ex and myself we had four of them, each of us ended up having a driver turn left in front of us and total two of them around 60k and 75k miles. Her second one is now up around 200k. Assuming mine makes it another year, our oldest daughter wants it as her first car because she feels safe in it (she was in both accidents).

2013 Touring AWD, 284,600 miles.

Other than LCAs, not much outside of normal maintenance. I did put injectors and a brake master on it at around 270k.

Between my ex and myself we had four of them, each of us ended up having a driver turn left in front of us and total two of them around 60k and 75k miles. Her second one is now up around 200k. Assuming mine makes it another year, our oldest daughter wants it as her first car because she feels safe in it (she was in both accidents).
Really like seeing these north of 250k CX-5's. I really see no reason why mine can't go at least another decade if not longer at my current mileage rate.

2016, currently 84k miles. First year it was the timing cover, then the oil pan (both leaks), was in twice for drivers side window rattle when down about an inch (never resolved), door locks would fire intermittently for a few seconds when I opened the drivers door- also never resolved, still does it occasionally to this day in colder weather. Had the belt tensioner replaced and both rear calipers replaced for sticking parking brake. Also, had the heated seat cushion on the drivers side replaced twice. Most troublesome new vehicle I've ever purchased yet it remains my favorite, go figure. Drive train and suspension remains solid and fuel mileage has been exceptional, the things that matter most to me. No problems in the last 3 years except for the NAV card dying. She's phenomenal in bad weather.

Last edited:
2016, currently 84k miles. First year it was the timing cover, then the oil pan (both leaks), was in twice for drivers side window rattle when down about an inch (never resolved), door locks would fire intermittently for a few seconds when I opened the drivers door- also never resolved, still does it occasionally to this day in colder weather. Had the belt tensioner replaced and both rear calipers replaced for sticking parking brake. Most troublesome new vehicle I've ever purchased yet it remains my favorite, go figure. No problems in the last 3 years except for the NAV card dying. .
Luck of the draw, I guess. I have a 16 purchased 4/2015 and have had zero problems. People on this forum kept saying the rear calipers will stick but to this day they've been fine. No problems with windows, door locks, tensioners, oil leaks, etc. etc. etc.

2016 GT. 75K.
*Loose control arm. Car was making a noise when turning. Took to garage. Tightened control arm. Fine ever since.
*Gas cap tether broke.

That's it.

From the responses it appears that these Mazda's are pretty well built and very reliable! Seems like the most common issue is the tensioner.

Every vehicle needs routine, periodic maintenance for consumables and wear items. And, in the end, eventually, all parts are wear items. That said, ...

2016.5 CX-5 GT w/ Tech Pkg.

North of 110Kmi, and I've done the following maintenance items -- oil+filter and tire rotations periodically; air filter and cabin air filter when needed; brakes incl fluid; spark plugs; serpentine belt and tensioner @ 80Kmi (which should have been done by 50Kmi, IMO); drive line oils (transm, xfer case, diff); and coolant flush. Basic stuff. Running like a top.

Intake + MAF sensor -- Minor clean-up, but they're functioning fine.

Suspension bushings show a couple needing replacement soon. Tie rod ends and ball joints, soon. Have been mulling doing new shocks with a mild lowering, during which I'd also do the shock top/bearing piece; unneeded, as none have shown breakage or serious wear yet. If done, I'd get a decent alignment as well.

I suppose the water pump's going to need doing at some point, though it's still without issues. We'll see.

In the next year or two, I'll likely install new coolant hoses and clamps. Primarily because I tend to prefer getting ahead of relatively minor stuff like that.

Had a small crack in the windshield, which the nearby SafeLite folks took care of. (Amazing, that "magic" fluid that gets injected into the small cracks and divot, filling it in with tougher-than-glass resin.)

Nothing else is showing much wear.

Did a Line-X undercarriage coating when I got the car, so underneath it's still looking great. On the paint, it's got a couple of minor chips and whatnot that one would expect after 110Kmi+.

Interior -- I just keep using 303 Protectant on the vinyls and plastics, and Lexol on the leathers. In my area, it's useful to have all-weather mats on the floor and cargo areas; while these don't look spiffy, they help keep the crud off the interior surfaces.

The car's rock solid. Just standard wear items, so far.
Good read! I'll do my own car maintenance and small repairs. We just got our 24 CX-5 T. I upgraded the front and rear ASBs. Nice upgrade. I have a set of BCR BC coilovers ordered and will lower the car. I'll install a toe and camber kit at that time.

I like and will follow your recommendation to change out the serp belt and tensioner at 50K. Gates estimates a belt tensioner cycles a billion times over 100k miles. As you know, any item on the serp belt that vibrates, vibrates and wears the other items. Expensive stuff like the water pump and alternator. I have a Ram Cummins with 265k mi and will be doing a 50K water pump, belt, tensioner and idler again.

I'll be changing fluids similar to your schedule as well. I'm a believer of changing sensors. It might be at a 100K. I'll do all the above and replace the O2 sensors as well.

While installing the ARBs I got to spend some quality time under the CX-5. Mazda does so many small things better than my Honda or other cars I've worked on. I keep seeing small details such as better wiring covers and supports. The sub frames are stout and so forth.

I'm considering replacing the fuel filter at the 75K or 100K mark. I want to get ahead of this item before it burns up a fuel pump....

2013 FWD here, have had it since July 2012. Car threw a P1450 code at around 7 years old/85,000 mi and it was a pretty expensive job to replace a purge valve because they had to drop the fuel tank to access it. Control arms were replaced at the same time because they were in rough shape.

Coming up on 12 years with the car and I have 115,000 mi on it and it's been 100% trouble-free otherwise, just regular oil/filter/spark plug/tire maintenance. As others have noted, "infotainment" is hot garbage (still baffles me that I can't play my music on shuffle via Bluetooth). Love this car and how reliable it's been!

I don't consider items that are replaced because of wear repairs. Mine's a 2019 and I replaced tires once. Can't count the number of oil and filter (cabin, engine) changes. Other than routine that so far is all that's been done but next tire rotation I'll replace the brakes.

Back