When to replace tires?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal
Currently at 5/32" on all 4. Do I just wait until I hit 2/32" and then start the process of buying new tires or should I do that at 3/32"?

I'm still on OEM Toyo's. 14K miles after 4.5 years.

I think 4/32" is typically the recommended threshold to replace, so I would start shopping now.

I will be looking at new tires this year to replace my OEM Yokohama's (225/65-17). Only 17,000km (10,500 miles) but down to 6/32" when I removed them for the current winter.

Currently at 5/32" on all 4. Do I just wait until ...

Two aspects, IMO, are what one needs to use as a guide: first, tread depth; second, the actual grip of that tread (irrespective of the depth).

If it were me, at 5/32" I'd start looking and evaluating options.

Invariably, Over 35+ years of driving on multiple vehicles, multiple different tires, I've found the grip levels to plummet long before the actual tread depth demanded it. But, that's with my tire selection, my driving style, speed, routes. Not everyone's going to have the same experience. But, definitely, consider both aspects.

At 5/32", I'd certainly start looking. Prior to the next rainy season, myself I'd definitely swap in a new set.

But, generally speaking it's the grip itself that drives my choice. If on normal colder or wetter mornings, prior to the tire fully warming up, I find the grip to be noticeably down from peak, I'll get seriously aware of grip under all conditions. Once a greater range of situations begins showing such reduced grip, that's it, at which point I get a new set. For me, at least, given the roads I often drive, selecting marginally-grippy tires is a luxury I can't afford. More expensive to do it this way, I suppose ... but then, a deadly crash is a bad way to save some cash.

I drive in a rainy state so I start looking at ~ 4/32 and replace by 3/32 minimum tread depth.

I would say if you are at only 14,000 miles after 4.5 years you don't need to be in an hurry at your present rate. I am at 15,000 miles in 11 months. just measured and I am at 6/32.

Last edited:
Also, no longer than 7 years for you low mileagers, you risk dry rot this long.

I'm still on OEM Toyo's. 14K miles after 4.5 years.
Likewise time & mileage. I just dislike the OEM Toyo's. PA state inspection allows down to 2/32 but I always replace before then. I put Conti LX25 on my wife's 2018 Outback & have been very pleased with them. Probably will put them on my GTR. Either the Conti's or Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3.

Also, no longer than 7 years for you low mileagers, you risk dry rot this long.
Yeah, one of my son's had a sidewall blow out from dry rot a number of years ago. It did some damage to the wheel well.

Likewise time & mileage. I just dislike the OEM Toyo's. PA state inspection allows down to 2/32 but I always replace before then. I put Conti LX25 on my wife's 2018 Outback & have been very pleased with them. Probably will put them on my GTR. Either the Conti's or Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3.
I can second the Pirelli scorpion all season plus 3. Just had a set put on a little over a week ago and I'm happy with them. I replaced the OEM Yokohama geolandars on the 17" wheels with 2 at 5/32 and 2 at 4/32 and about ~26k miles.

So many variables, it all depends what is important to you. Personal preference, environment, driving style/skill all factor in.

Considering your past usage at only 14k miles in 4.5 years (3100ish/yr) , you could upgrade to a much nicer tire now and enjoy a better ride, better grip, etc now and at the low usage, the tires may last longer than you want to keep the car anyway.

We rack up miles quick at our house. I'll purposely push the tires past their traction limits in the wet just to keep tabs on how they degrade with wear. At some point, they are dead to me based on feel and I don't have confidence in them so time for new.

Seems like most of the tire manufacturers and tire distributors tend to have sales in the spring and early summer on all season tires so that can be a good time to replace.

I go by wear mark on the tire.
See the red circled area.
1707171501835.png

Back