Radio / Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model

Hard to tell if connector 38 is the actual pigtail off the HU or something seperate. It looks like its seperate junction from the location diagram.

Curiosity. For amping the front door speakers. Are you guys tapping into the stock wiring to power them? Because I can't figure out anyway to pass some new wires into the doors, no room at all.

Yeah....they didn't fit. The sizing is right on but yes, there are spade-type male inserts in the (female) Metro connector - oh well.....the search continues. I'll go to a local shop and see what they have

Yeah....they didn't fit. The sizing is right on but yes, there are spade-type male inserts in the (female) Metro connector - oh well.....the search continues. I'll go to a local shop and see what they have

Yeah I gave up on the idea of component speakers for this reason, no one had a clue and I don't have the time to pour over a Mouser catalog to find the proper connector shell type and pin style (if they carry them, hell they carry everything electronic on earth...).

That said, if I was more patient I would have opted for component with tweets in the dash, I'm 50+ and used to play live music so my hearing is dimming in the top end. Even still the Infinitys are far superior to the OEM units so its a plus all around. (rockon)

Yeah I gave up on the idea of component speakers for this reason, no one had a clue and I don't have the time to pour over a Mouser catalog to find the proper connector shell type and pin style (if they carry them, hell they carry everything electronic on earth...).

That said, if I was more patient I would have opted for component with tweets in the dash, I'm 50+ and used to play live music so my hearing is dimming in the top end. Even still the Infinitys are far superior to the OEM units so its a plus all around. (rockon)

True True - so I gave up waiting as well and last night I did the passenger side dash speaker. Sound great! For the install I cut the dash connector off (ouch!) to fit my Polk speakers. To anyone that does this: be careful b/c the existing wires are a very small gauge ~ 20-22awg thus they easily break but that's not the real problem, the two speaker wires are so heavily insulated with a black plastic sheath + sticky fabric tape which is a bi*ch to cut off (and not damage the existing wires).
I used insulated 22awg connectors

True True - so I gave up waiting as well and last night I did the passenger side dash speaker. Sound great!

Good show man! Yeah I would have gone that route if I were 20 years younger, I used to do this kind of work in my sleep but my eyes cannot work this close anymore without an Optivisor or some-such and it's a tight space which further lowers my patience. Hell the funny part is that I usually listen to NPR more often than not pfffft!

Good show man! Yeah I would have gone that route if I were 20 years younger, I used to do this kind of work in my sleep but my eyes cannot work this close anymore without an Optivisor or some-such and it's a tight space which further lowers my patience. Hell the funny part is that I usually listen to NPR more often than not pfffft!

yes, thanks popeye**** - very tight space to work in but I got both Polks in last night - I'm no expert when it comes to sound quality but they really improve the stock system.

Now I have to start thinking about the door speakers...

Yeah the door speakers should go as well, I do highly suggest using the OEM spkr bracket/mount and the connector as it simplifies the install, especially on the fronts. So did you put the DB351s in there? If so those will really give the mids and high end the clarity the OEM (and any door spkr for that matter) are lacking. I put my thoughts in a post in the How-To section along with some pics.

Last edited:
Tweeter install in dash

I placed these tweeters in my dash, Pioneer TS-T110 7/8-Inch Hard-Dome Tweeter :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Below are some progressive photos of when I put them in.

2012-11-02_21-29-06_424.jpg
The above photo is the "speaker slug" under the dash speaker cover that holds the wire. I drilled a hole for the speaker wire to fit through. ( you will see below)

2012-11-02_21-31-57_827.jpg
This is a closer look at the "slug"

2012-11-02_21-32-10_139.jpg
Here I trimmed the inner plastic molding out so the tweeter can fit in the center flush and then the speaker wire will go through the hole I drilled.

2012-11-02_21-33-04_393.jpg

2012-11-02_21-33-21_640.jpg
This is the "slug" flipped over with the wire pulled through. The black tape is a fuse or something that came on the speaker wire. I had to drill a big enough hole for that to fit through.

Apparently there is a 5 photo limit, so the others are to come.
Here I put the tweeter in place and ran the wire through the hole I drilled.

Tweeter install in dash continued..........................

2012-11-02_21-33-39_624.jpg
This is the clipper I used to remove part of the molded center of the "slug" for the tweeter to fit level.

2012-11-02_21-34-46_337.jpg
Here is a view of the left speaker "slug" put back in place with the screws in the dash.

2012-11-02_21-35-05_853.jpg
This is looking down at the tweeter once in place.

2012-11-02_21-46-21_832.jpg
Here is a view of the right speaker in place.

After the speakers were in place I just put the covers back on and enjoyed the sound. What a GREAT difference it makes. Especially when talking with the blue tooth. The voice on the other end is up near your ears and not down at your feet.

I hope these help someone.

Yeah the door speakers should go as well, I do highly suggest using the OEM spkr bracket/mount and the connector as it simplifies the install, especially on the fronts. So did you put the DB351s in there? If so those will really give the mids and high end the clarity the OEM (and any door spkr for that matter) are lacking. I put my thoughts in a post in the How-To section along with some pics.

Yes, I put the DB351s in and am quite pleased. Now onto the doors but I'd like to make the install as easy as possible by using the existing connectors. I looked for your post re: front speakers but couldn't find it - can ya link it maybe? Thanks**

I'm assuming you spliced them in with butt splices, correct? Yeah my shins and knees get great audio, my ears not so much lol

popeyecahn~ Yes...that is correct. I just shoved em' in cuz they fit snug end to end.

So....I replaced my two opposing dash speakers and I'm not sure if we clarified it yet but are there connectors present/under in the center dash speaker grate? (sport model)

So....I replaced my two opposing dash speakers and I'm not sure if we clarified it yet but are there connectors present/under in the center dash speaker grate? (sport model)

I took off the center dash cover and could not find any wiring for speakers. It does look like the GPS is located in there though. If there are speaker wires in the center grill, they are hidden where I didn't see them.

Posted this on another thread, but thought it worth the cross-post...

I just put the Polk DB651 speakers in the doors (note NOT the "S" slimlines, but the full depth ones) mounted in the OEM speaker baskets. For those on the fence about these speakers, they do fit just fine, still about 1/4 gap between the tweeter and the door grill.

One extra tip... I installed these this morning after a fair amount of rain over the past couple of days. The door interior and back of the speakers were soaking. Enough that water was dripping out of the speaker baskets when I took them off! Even though the Polks are marine rated, I would recommend you do as I did and sandwich a sheet of heavy polythene sheet between the back of the basket/mount and the inside surface of the door. 10" square pieces will do the trick. That will protect the speakers and coils/wires from splashes.

Posted this on another thread, but thought it worth the cross-post...

I just put the Polk DB651 speakers in the doors (note NOT the "S" slimlines, but the full depth ones) mounted in the OEM speaker baskets. For those on the fence about these speakers, they do fit just fine, still about 1/4 gap between the tweeter and the door grill.

One extra tip... I installed these this morning after a fair amount of rain over the past couple of days. The door interior and back of the speakers were soaking. Enough that water was dripping out of the speaker baskets when I took them off! Even though the Polks are marine rated, I would recommend you do as I did and sandwich a sheet of heavy polythene sheet between the back of the basket/mount and the inside surface of the door. 10" square pieces will do the trick. That will protect the speakers and coils/wires from splashes.

Huh...so I'm a little confused. Can you clarify? Are you saying that rain made its way into the doors BEFORE you installed the speakers? Or that your install with the Polks results in rain making its way into the doors?

Huh...so I'm a little confused. Can you clarify? Are you saying that rain made its way into the doors BEFORE you installed the speakers? Or that your install with the Polks results in rain making its way into the doors?
Before any speaker change. Basically, the weather proofing for the inside door area, is crap from the factory.

Back