Oil Leak...Where else!?

maxchao

So last time I changed my oil and I found out only about 1 quart came out. (boom01) I started to look for an oil leak...After a lot of look here/look there, I decided to look for help on the forum...

So if I let the car sit overnight, I can see small droplet of engine oil on the AC compressor about to fall off.

It's not valve cover gasket, not crankshaft/camshaft seal (I just did the timing belt change so I checked). I don't think it would be the oil pan seal as the oil trace seems to be coming from somewhere higher than the AC compressor. It's even on top of the Power Steering Pump! I think the oil hits the belt and splashes everywhere.

It's engine oil. Power Steering Fluid level stay constant, Brake Fluid Level stays constant, and coolant level stays constant...

So...where else am I missing? (Head gasket???)

OK Let me get it tomorrow! But I think I can only get the droplet on the AC compressor, since there is not much place between the AC compressor and the exhaust pipe, and that area seems to be where the oil is coming from.

Now I have a bad feeling that it can be the oil pump gasket...Let me ask the stupid question: Can oil pump gasket cause oil leak? and I guess the oil pump is driven by the crankshaft? I read the service and it will be a pain to replace...

Please forgive me, but... did you check the dipstick? Is it over-full after the oil was refilled? I ask - because maybe a piece of crud was blocking the drain...

Especially with no other indication (massive leak, low oil/CEL, etc...)

Haha any input is welcome. I need inspiration!

Yes I check the dipstick all the time.....after that "1 quart came out" oil change event. What's weird is that I never get the low oil light though. I have been assuming that P5 doesn't have one but I can be wrong.

The oil will keep on leaking at any level. I know it's coming out somewhere between the AC compressor and the engine block...not sure what is there....

I took a picture...but it's not that great. You can see the small oil droplet on the far left edge of the AC compressor that's it. I can't stick the camera to where my head can't reach it...and if my head can reach in I can probably figure out where it is coming from.
DSC_1126.jpg

So...I guess the next thing would be to take out the AC compressor to see what's behind it, but can anyone just tell me what would be behind the AC compressor and leak oil?

So...the result of my oil leak finding quest is...there is no oil leak!

I spent an hour or two cleaned the bottom of the engine and the under shield, in attempt to identify the leaking source. after two weeks of driving both are bone dry! There is no oil leak.

Also after quite some search on the forum I came to the conclusion that the oil pump is designed to outlast the engine. and that's why it was so hard to find information about replacing oil pump gasket, because it just doesn't really break.

So the reason the oil is going away must be the engine burning oil. Very slowly. No smoke from the exhaust in any condition. It burns about half quart every thousand miles it seems. Not enough to cause an alarm i would say.

Just some follow up to my thread..

Ya our oil pumps are great for granny style driving but anything more than that and you're screwed

Back