Help! Oil on a spark plug when I did a tune-up???

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey guys, looking for some help againAfter I got my '03 P5 I did a tune-up on it. When I pulled the plug closest to the driver side head light (not sure which piston # that is) there was oil all over it, like enough to actually drip off. It didn't go above the threads and nut, so it wasn't on the wire, but definitely from the threads down. An ideas on what causes this and what can I do about it? Thanks!

My guess would be bad piston rings...the oil is squeezing past them and entering the combustion chamber. That would mean you're burning oil at a serious rate. The only way to fix this is to have the engine broken down and the rings replaced, not a cheap procedure.

I would watch the plugs as well as behind you for smoke (and keep your eye on the dipstick) for a week or so and see if you continue to have the problem.

I did this a few weeks ago, and haven't noticed any smoke…I will keep an eye on the dipstick though. I did my oil change the same time that I did the tune up. Thanks for the tip, I hope that's not the case though! :/

A Valve seal could do that too but not to the amount that you are talking about..

I think if it was the plug gasket (part of valve cover gasket kit) you would see oil on top of the valve cover surrounding the plug.

I think if it was the plug gasket (part of valve cover gasket kit) you would see oil on top of the valve cover surrounding the plug.

One thing that didn't make sense was that the oil stopped at the threads or nut. And that there was no oil on the wire boot… I don't know, just hoping it's not an expensive deal.

You failed to specify On or in the combustion chamber.

If it's just on the top (Ceramic) part, then obviously you need a $10.00 gasket...

You failed to specify On or in the combustion chamber.

If it's just on the top (Ceramic) part, then obviously you need a $10.00 gasket...

It's below the ceramic part. Like from the nut down. The threads of the plug is where the oil is. So I guess in the combustion chamber…?

so the oil was on the part of the spark plug thats inside the cylinder but was it on the electrode or ground prong?

Me thinks it is hard to get oil to form inside a combustion chanmber of an operating car. it would burn off.

What could have also happened is the oil was on top, until you removed the plug, then drained all over the plug as it was removed..

Spark plug.jpg Here is the spark plugit's no where near as bad as when I did the tune up a couple weeks ago. The car has been sitting for a couple of days too. I'm going to check it again when I come home from work tomorrow. (after it's been running for a while)

I doubt it's piston rings I'd put money on valve cover gasket sounds exactly what I just went through with my Honda there shouldn't be any oil on the top portion of the plug because the wire covers that and doesn't allow for it to get there. Plus if it was rings there defiantly wouldn't be any oil on it after its been sitting for a few days

I doubt it's piston rings I'd put money on valve cover gasket sounds exactly what I just went through with my Honda there shouldn't be any oil on the top portion of the plug because the wire covers that and doesn't allow for it to get there. Plus if it was rings there defiantly wouldn't be any oil on it after its been sitting for a few days

I just don't know…I'm willing to just fork out the $30 to replace the valve cover gasket and all the plug gaskets just to have a little more peace of mind…I just hope that does it and it's not something major. Like I said when I get home from work I'll check it and see how bad it is.

Back