any way to "reconfigure" second row to 3 seats?

The 3-seat 2nd row system is a different pair of buckets. The center seat folds away under the bucket that does not have the center table/cupholders, while the seatback attaches permanantly to the side of the right bucket seatback and can fold down like an armrest when the seat bottom is folded away. It also tips up to allow a 4-5" "pass-thru" for the most underweight of children to get to the back seat w/o moving a bucket seat forward. Also available in Europe. I thought it was an option I would kill for, but the center seatback is a deal killer now that I have lived w/the vehicle and put kids in it.

I heard the model in Japan does that , any way to buy the necessary hardware here ?
That would be cool to see. Any links to pics? I would image you'd have to give up middle seat or arm rest but- eh. Nothing you can't do with some ingenuity or money. Forget calling shot gun, I'd call back row and fold down the middle seats.

Asia, Europe, and South American (which uses the European style) all have 3-seat center rows. I believe that they are not offered in the US due to safety regulations, mainly the need for chest belt.

Here are some pictures of the European version, on an '09 Mazda5:

Attachments

• p1000071lp8.jpg
    p1000071lp8.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 211
  • p1000073kw2.jpg
    p1000073kw2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 215
  • p1000074kr8.jpg
    p1000074kr8.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 226
  • p1000078nd6.jpg
    p1000078nd6.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 212
I'm so glad I don't have those. My 2nd row seats are perfect. Wouldn't have them any other way if it were my choice.

Asia, Europe, and South American (which uses the European style) all have 3-seat center rows. I believe that they are not offered in the US due to safety regulations, mainly the need for chest belt.

I meant any pics showing the 2nd row seats moved to the 3rd row. I believe this is what the OP is talking about, right?

I’m picturing limo esq space and possibly having a table in the middle row :D

Edit: I misunderstood what the OP is asking for. He/She is asking about reconfigure=making the 2nd row seat 3 people, which I’m sure can also be done with enough cash but wouldn’t want to be near in the event of an accident.

Side note -it would be fun to see if my misunderstanding can come to fruition :p

Last edited:

At least here in northern Europe, the middle seat has a headrest and a chest belt coming from the ceiling.

Take a few pictures of your middle seat, would be interesting to see.

The car shown in my post is from Peru (South America) which I thought used the European model.

I'm so glad I don't have those. My 2nd row seats are perfect. Wouldn't have them any other way if it were my choice.

Looks like the seatback is a switchout with the right seat armrest. The bench folds into the seat bottom that does not hold the table/cupholders/net Karijuri thingy. Looks like it could be easily installed and removed for those "emergency" trips when you have your 2 nephews over for the weekend and want to go to the pool/mall/park/etc and need just ONE MORE SEAT!

Back