painting my rims

i didnt even see this thread here. I painted my wheels on my MS3. I used high temp paint (gold) and metallic clear. As far as prep work, I cleaned,sanded.Then painted,re wet sanded (1500 grit), sprayed one more coat and cleared.
Heres a pic.
004-1.jpg

That looks awesome dude, good job.

I painted my 6's wheels with duplicolor's gunmetal color, I had a steel grey 6. It matched well and held up really well for 2 years.

Wet sanded, 3 coats each, 2 coats of clear.

0626081908_0001.jpg
i did mine that charcoal gray color...im not done with them but its different... take a look... i think its gives it a nice touch with the red calipers...

Decided to leave mine along. Black doesn't look right unless its like the hyper black on the rota torques. What about trying to color match?

Quick question, how did all of you approach masking the centercap? I'm a bit concerned about not getting the lines around the "M" perfect.

I left mine silver when I did it. I liked how it stood out from the wheel. I was honestly just too lazy to mask it so I didn't paint it at all. It looked good though.

How do I go about painting my center caps if Im going to do powdercoat?

I would like to keep the Mazda symbol chromed finish but color match the center cap.

i have a black mica ms3
how does everyone think rims would look painted black mica to match
then with a true red lip and also paint the emblems true red?

using the oem touch up up paint from mazda

Last edited:
How do I go about painting my center caps if Im going to do powdercoat?

I would like to keep the Mazda symbol chromed finish but color match the center cap.

Just paint the caps the same color as close as you can find. I think I read somewhere the chrome part detaches off with clips on the back.

I decided im going to scratch the powder coating idea and just go for some high quality outdoor spray paint. Is it best to use a matte color than a seperate clear coat or just use glossy color to begin with?

I decided im going to scratch the powder coating idea and just go for some high quality outdoor spray paint. Is it best to use a matte color than a seperate clear coat or just use glossy color to begin with?

use a separate clear coat, works much better. I will be posting pictures tomorrow of my new wheel color.

I was following this thread and never commented but was really hoping to see the OP go with a nice gold.

I come from the Infiniti G20 community and I love this setup, red with gold...

Gmac

Attachments

• marsredg20.jpg
    marsredg20.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 178
Back