2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

What car info do I need to pickup the wires to go with the coil pack conversion?

I've only been able to find the Mazda PN for the wires in the forums, and since I want Red wires I need to know what Model/Year I should be doing a search for.

I've got the coil pack and the 626 valve cover on the way, so once I find the wires I'll be another convert to add to the list.

Thanks,

-peel

Cool thanks for that. I figured that was probably the case, but I hate buying stuff on speculation and getting the wrong thing, when I could have just asked and got the right thing the first time.

Take care,

-peel

updaaaate!!!!1

would these be more of an upgrade than Magnecor Wires???

which one?

Magnecor > 1.8 Coil
1.8 Coil > Magnecor

(o.0)

I think the consensus here in this thread (pleez correct me)

-1.8 conversion MAY yield a negligible performance improvement
-1.8 is mostly a cosmetic preference
-Coil on plug MAY not distribute spark AS evenly as 1.8 coil off
-Overall stock ignition holds up fine until you're seriously modded for high boost

Now buy my 2.0 wires :D

Anyone interested in trading red 1.8 wires for the Blue ones I have?

I think the consensus here in this thread (pleez correct me)

-1.8 conversion MAY yield a negligible performance improvement
-1.8 is mostly a cosmetic preference
-Coil on plug MAY not distribute spark AS evenly as 1.8 coil off
-Overall stock ignition holds up fine until you're seriously modded for high boost

the 2.0 setup isnt REALLY coil-on-plug, which is why this conversion is so easy.

and, i was going through some old pictures, and i found the attached. if the 1.8 set-up wasnt as good or reliable as the 2.0 set-up, then i dont think tri-point would have used the 2.0 set-up on thier racing engines. but, they used the 1.8 set-up. i feel the 1.8 set-up is much more reliable than the 2.0 version.

Attachments

• Racecar1.jpg
    Racecar1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 318
the 2.0 setup isnt REALLY coil-on-plug, which is why this conversion is so easy.

and, i was going through some old pictures, and i found the attached. if the 1.8 set-up wasnt as good or reliable as the 2.0 set-up, then i dont think tri-point would have used the 2.0 set-up on thier racing engines. but, they used the 1.8 set-up. i feel the 1.8 set-up is much more reliable than the 2.0 version.

Explain to me again how the 2.0 coils arent "really coil on plug?"

I think he meant like as in all 4 not just 2!?

The 1.8 coils are still only 2 coils. The protege uses a waste spark system. Anyone who says the 2.0 soils suck has no idea what they're talking about. I've researched this long and hard, and anyone looking for serious power sticks with the 2.0 coils they can take a lot more abuse than the 1.8 ones. I've had the dwell time on my coils up to 8ms at 24psi of boost and it ran like a champ. Lets see you do that on the 1.8 coils.

The 1.8 coils are still only 2 coils. The protege uses a waste spark system. Anyone who says the 2.0 soils suck has no idea what they're talking about. I've researched this long and hard, and anyone looking for serious power sticks with the 2.0 coils they can take a lot more abuse than the 1.8 ones. I've had the dwell time on my coils up to 8ms at 24psi of boost and it ran like a champ. Lets see you do that on the 1.8 coils.

and how in the world do you change the dwell time?

8 ms of dwell on stock coils?
how long did they last?

i run bosch HEC715's, which are some of the biggest bosch coils going - running individual coils (as opposed to wasted spark) and they die quickly at 4.5ms of dwell.... 4 is considered safe and they can support far higher dwell than the stock ones ever could.

The 1.8 coils may still be wasted spark, but being off the engine, and not covered by the engine cover, they are likely to dissipate heat far better. In addition, because you can have equal length leads with the 1.8L coil packs (equal length is better than uneven, even if the equal length is longer - equal length means equal resistance which in turn helps with equal spark - the same amount of power is applied to each plug, instead of one being stronger than others etc). measure the reistance on the stock leads - and you'll see that they are terribly missmatched.

As for how much boost your coils can handle, it doessn't overly matter. Sure, more boost (well, higher cylinder pressure) will require a bigger/better spark, but the AMOUNT of boost should have no bearing on how well the coils operate - its simply a case that less dwell, and less available power in the ignition system will ultimately limit how much boost you can push.

I'd be very keen to know what state the stock coils were in after prolonged operation at 8ms dwell.

i agree with what LordWorm says

Explain to me again how the 2.0 coils arent "really coil on plug?"

they aren't "really" a coil-on-plug because there is only two. a true coil-on-plug design uses a seperate coil for each plug. look at the mazda3 system, and for that matter, the majority of new mazdas. those are coil-on-plug systems.

i never said the 2.0 coil sucked. i DID say that for me, when my 2.0 coild did kill themselves, that it was less expensive at the time for me to do the conversion than to buy new 2.0 parts.

i have also seen that the 2.0 coil system seems to work better with aftermarket ecu's than the 1.8 system. whether thats a product of the design of the coils or the system, i have no clue.

I'm on my third set of stock coils, my first set fried because I had the spark edge i nthe haltech set to falling (the "on signal was interpreted as an off signal, and the coils melted after about 30 seconds.) The second set of Mazda coils ran at 10ms after about a week. Since they're a constant charge type coil, 10ms at 6-7000 RPM on a waste spark setup didn't leave much room for "off" time for the coils. (Basically constantly on with that much dwell) and after a week or so they overheated and melted. My third set are some NAPA ones (Airtex IIRC?) and they're still running strong for a year and a half now at 8ms.

I knwo what you're saying about the equal length setup, but I don't buy it. Think how much energy and how quickly it's sent through those wires. The "delay" or "different resistance" just isn't great enough to do anything. Look in the FSM for the resistance inspection on the coils.

Coils have no impact on how much boost you can run, to a point. I've never had spark blow out on me at 24psi with 8ms dwell time and a .028" gap (tight I know) so I'll leave it at that.

8 ms of dwell on stock coils?
how long did they last?

i run bosch HEC715's, which are some of the biggest bosch coils going - running individual coils (as opposed to wasted spark) and they die quickly at 4.5ms of dwell.... 4 is considered safe and they can support far higher dwell than the stock ones ever could.

The 1.8 coils may still be wasted spark, but being off the engine, and not covered by the engine cover, they are likely to dissipate heat far better. In addition, because you can have equal length leads with the 1.8L coil packs (equal length is better than uneven, even if the equal length is longer - equal length means equal resistance which in turn helps with equal spark - the same amount of power is applied to each plug, instead of one being stronger than others etc). measure the reistance on the stock leads - and you'll see that they are terribly missmatched.

As for how much boost your coils can handle, it doessn't overly matter. Sure, more boost (well, higher cylinder pressure) will require a bigger/better spark, but the AMOUNT of boost should have no bearing on how well the coils operate - its simply a case that less dwell, and less available power in the ignition system will ultimately limit how much boost you can push.

I'd be very keen to know what state the stock coils were in after prolonged operation at 8ms dwell.

Latest posts

Back