Best location for HID bllaster

Well, I have a Protege, so I don't have projectors. I aimed mine a little lower, but not by much.

Since you have projectors, I think you're fine without aiming them down. Are you being flashed at all?

I didn't know you have Protege...(thumb)

Yes.. i think stock projector are meant to be used with HIDs..(wiggle) ( I mean that good (wiggle))

I know Grand Touring's Xenon systme uses D2s bulbs (comparing to h7) but i wonder if they use same projectors (wiggle)

after conversion , as you can see on previous pics. it has very nice cuf off..
have not flashed at all so far..(thumb)

ok i got a question if you get lets say 8000k could you switch out the bulbs down to 6000k? and i also found a website that sells Universal Wire Relay with Fuses for HID Xenon or High Power Lighting System. I have noticed that most of the places don't sell the relay for the HID will it hurt not having the relay?any help would be nice.thanks here is that website www.xtralights.com

Last edited:
ok i got a question if you get lets say 8000k could you switch out the bulbs down to 6000k? and i also found a website that sells Universal Wire Relay with Fuses for HID Xenon or High Power Lighting System. I have noticed that most of the places don't sell the relay for the HID will it hurt not having the relay?any help would be nice.thanks here is that website www.xtralights.com

i think HID coversion kits are pretty much universal plug & play kits.
which you can just buy any types of bulb to change the "color" temperature.
i currently have 6000K but planning to get 4300K bulb sometime soon. (they cost around $30-$40.

Relay harness is also universal, as you just have to "tap" on the -/+ of battery and "connect" to heardlight power plug and that's it.

You can purchase relay harness (decent ones) around $20-30 on ebay.
or any online sellers..

accoridng to my "reserch" on web, it is "safer" to have relay harness in HID system, as it helps to "draw" power from battery "directly" instead of getting it from stock headlight plug. Yes HID uses 35W (compare to 55W in halogen) but when it powers up, it needs instant high voltage to ignite bulbs. That is why i think people use "relay harness" in their HID conversion.
As i posted previouly, i did "test" both way, and could not see any difference, However, theoretically speaking, relay harness sets up independant circuit for HID for stable use.

Hope this helps..

Last edited:
see thats why i wanted to know if you can switch of the bulbs because i was thinking about 6000k but there is a guy that had 8000k and they seemed really good not to blue. but i would also like to get something less as in the 5000k like your talking about .if it was not going to work beause it was too blue and also it would be a back up also.

see thats why i wanted to know if you can switch of the bulbs because i was thinking about 6000k but there is a guy that had 8000k and they seemed really good not to blue. but i would also like to get something less as in the 5000k like your talking about .if it was not going to work beause it was too blue and also it would be a back up also.

it is up to you but i got my HID for better visiblity at night/fog/rain. and i think even though 6000K is "better" than standard halogen, it is too much white for night driving. that is "why" i am going to get 4300K bulbs

And Now, there are people who get HID kit just for the "Looks". 8000K even 10000K kit will do the job but less usable light.. just my 2cents.

will im looking for useability like visiblity at night/fog/rain because we get a lot of that here and thats when i do most of my driving and i know i dont want to go over 8000k but thanks for all your help

For maximum return in terms of visibilty 4500K is best. And skip the 35w kit in favor of the 55w you won't be sorry.

For maximum return in terms of visibilty 4500K is best. And skip the 35w kit in favor of the 55w you won't be sorry.

i was reading about HID on web AGAIN, and found out 2 new intersting info.

1. In order to increase Lumen(amount of light) in same K (light temperatutre/color), the Wattage needs to be increased (theorically speaking)
I guess, that is why there are 55W HID kits coming out

2. Some conservative HID sellers are claming that 55W Kits are more dangerous than 35W Kit and prone to cause fire :eek:
(but i personally don't buy this since stock halogen is 55W as well)

dreamym5, I assume you successfully installed your HID ballasts without removing the front bumper? I have my kit ready to go, but while you apparently did it without hassling with the front bumper removal, the_saint clearly went the other route by removing it. Im just wondering how you made out

1). If you did it all over again, do you think perhaps you couldve made a better install by getting the bumper out of your way? Im not worried about the ballasts, but rather the massive bulbs and the infamous metal clip that keeps them in place.

2.) About how long did it take you? If the front bumper is getting taken off, then obviously its a Saturday project but if I go the plug-n-play route then perhaps I can get them in there this evening. (Im sure you can understand my eagerness to transfer them from the box to my 5 ;))

3.) Do you have any melting issues with your ballast installed on your fuse box? I understand ballasts in general produce a lot of heat.

For the sake of thoroughness, part of me is leaning towards removing the front bumper and headlights to do it right, but the other part of me doesnt want to waste time if unnecessary, and also the bigger concern would be reaiming the headlights to OEM spec when I reinstall them.

Thanks bud!

dreamym5, I assume you successfully installed your HID ballasts without removing the front bumper? I have my kit ready to go, but while you apparently did it without hassling with the front bumper removal, the_saint clearly went the other route by removing it. Im just wondering how you made out

1). If you did it all over again, do you think perhaps you couldve made a better install by getting the bumper out of your way? Im not worried about the ballasts, but rather the massive bulbs and the infamous metal clip that keeps them in place.

2.) About how long did it take you? If the front bumper is getting taken off, then obviously its a Saturday project but if I go the plug-n-play route then perhaps I can get them in there this evening. (Im sure you can understand my eagerness to transfer them from the box to my 5 ;))

3.) Do you have any melting issues with your ballast installed on your fuse box? I understand ballasts in general produce a lot of heat.

For the sake of thoroughness, part of me is leaning towards removing the front bumper and headlights to do it right, but the other part of me doesnt want to waste time if unnecessary, and also the bigger concern would be reaiming the headlights to OEM spec when I reinstall them.

Thanks bud!

Hey.. it has has arrived finally..i feeel your excitement friend..(cabpatch)

now.. let's calm down little and take this easy & painless way..

first of all.. removing bumper is *not* required.. IMO.. there is enough space for your hands to work (take out old halogens & put in HID bulbs & and that notorious H7 metal clip).

Sametime,, i am sure. it will be *easier* to do everything with *more than enough *space* and *angle* to accomplish same job.

after all it is up to you i guess.. you should try to do it without removing bumper then if you can't do it.. you can always. remove it later...

now.. if you go by plug & play way...let's see.. if you have done some auto work before.. like changing burnt bulb . air filter etc.. you can do it under 2 hours ( i am putting 2 hours.. due to that * i really hate that metal clip*)
i too almost cried..(confused).. when i got stuck with that metal clip..(uhm)

the key to the success is *work* with some force and you will make it work..
(move it left & right & up & down little and you will know what i mean)
i now can change HID bulbs in less than 10 mins since i know this sucker..

no melting issues so far.. one time, i let the engine ran for about 40min with my HIDs on waing for my parents at Airport... later i checked ballasts in engine bay.. and it was *hot* but not burrning hot*...i've moved my right ballst to different location since i posted this thread.. check pics below..

anyway..good luck with your installation and if any problem aries. let me know.. i will be on/off with this forum... :D

New location for one of my ballst ( you see wire harness /relayaround battery box.)
img0566ab6.jpg

how i ran Wire harness coming from battery to one of the ballast.
img0567rb1.jpg

You got to remove air box for battery to access right Headlight i took it out so many times.. i lost *pins*.. ^^

img0569xg8.jpg

For left side.. you should have enough space to work with

img0571ka0.jpg

thanks for the response! I decided to just do it without removing the bumper... checking this thread was the last thing on my agenda before getting my hands dirty, so I'm about to take a stab at it.

The spots I think I'm gonna try for the ballasts are *these* spots (see attachment) each side of the engine bay... I swung by Lowes and got some 'industrial strength' velcro tape to mount them there.

We'll see how it goes... thanks again!

Attachments

• img0566ab6.jpg
    img0566ab6.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 136
thanks for the response! I decided to just do it without removing the bumper... checking this thread was the last thing on my agenda before getting my hands dirty, so I'm about to take a stab at it.

The spots I think I'm gonna try for the ballasts are *these* spots (see attachment) each side of the engine bay... I swung by Lowes and got some 'industrial strength' velcro tape to mount them there.

We'll see how it goes... thanks again!

No problemo...buddy!!
Yes.. i thought about that spot as well.. but moved bit backward.. for *cooler* temperature...due to windshield vents...

also.. i had to *cut* rubber covers for each headlights to run HID bulbs and wires...i just recalled that...well.. let me know when you hear very first HID buzzzzzzz sound....(cool)

Last edited:
okay, so this is a retard question... 100% positive of that, but forgive me because up until last night I've never seen a HID bulb in my life! :)

I was trying to figure out how in the hell to make the bulb fit inside the housing, looks like it was impossible.... until I THINK I realized the huge ass plastic shell the bulb is in, is just to protect it for shipping purposes, d'oh!

But I want to make sure that #2 is the correct way to install the bulb in the housing... like I said, I never touched an HID bulb before and I wasn't sure if the huge ass plastic shell thinger is meant to stay or go.

(oh, and on a different topic, I'm pretty sure the kit came with those adapters I needed, FWIW)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
(wiggle) haha... all of those *clear* plastic covers/shells need to *go*...

2nd pic you posted is the *ready to go* stage ...(wink)

edit: i can't see the adaptor on your pics..

another tip.. when you put HID bulbs in and try to lock in with metal clip..

make sure.. HID bulbs stay in *lock* position before metal clip *click*..
(the biggest plastic tab needs to *lock* in H7 housing)..

what happped to me was.. even though metal clip locked.. HID bulb was not positioned *right* and i had to *redo* the one side again.. lol

you can't see them in pics because they're not there, haha... there were out in the box at the time, but I got the one adapter put on the bulb now... pretty much looks just like the H7 bulb that came out, and crossing my fingers, looks like should be held in by that metal wire just like OEM.

Thanks again!!!! pics'll come later tonight if nothing else :)

you can't see them in pics because they're not there, haha... there were out in the box at the time, but I got the one adapter put on the bulb now... pretty much looks just like the H7 bulb that came out, and crossing my fingers, looks like should be held in by that metal wire just like OEM.

Thanks again!!!! pics'll come later tonight if nothing else :)

alrighty... now i can go to my dinner...(2thumbs)

will check back later just in case..(wrc)

Back