Trailer Hitch

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Having lights is one thing - Having FUNCTIONING lights is a whole new ball game!!
I get a kick out of people that seemingly hook in the plug backwards, so when their car is signalling left, their trailer is signalling right. However, athough somewhat humerous, it can be a dangerous situation for those that don't realize what's going on.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Any luck???
Noper...
Heres a few pics of the "custom" trailer hitch.
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

He reinforced it in a couple of places.. I think it'll work !!

Attachments

• Mazda hitch 1@ pax side.jpg
    Mazda hitch 1@ pax side.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 961
  • Mazda hitch 2.jpg
    Mazda hitch 2.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 856
  • Mazda hitch 3.jpg
    Mazda hitch 3.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 783
Got a new hitch cover for some fun.

Oddly enough I got the Canadian Maple Leaf from a guy in Texas! Its home made from aluminum and is very well done.(canada)

Secured with a locking hitch pin I got with my bike rack.

Attachments

• HitchCoverAngle.jpg
    HitchCoverAngle.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 474
  • HitchCoverCloseUp.jpg
    HitchCoverCloseUp.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 443
  • HitchCoverRear.jpg
    HitchCoverRear.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 417
A few comments/questions about the towing issue. I'm looking to purchase a Europeen style trailer tent which will weigh approx 800 lbs (much less then North American pop-up which weigh a minimum of 1200 lbs). The trailer also comes with brakes.

Notwitstanding the no-towing mention in the manual, I think I would be OK and I say this for the following reasons:

1. I assume that the mention "not rated for towing" simply means that Mazda has not tested for towing here in North America, therefore cannot give a rating as opposed to the car simply not being able to tow anything.

2. All Mazda cars in NA are rated the same way (the 3, 5 and 6). If the reason why the 5 cant tow is due to the fact that it has the same specs as the 3 but is a bigger car, than logically the 3 should be able to tow something ...

3. The 5 in all EU countries indicate a 600kg tow capacity without breaks and 1300kg with brakes (and that's with a smaller petrole engine of 2.0 litres)

4. I will not be towing with a car full of overweight adults! just my wife and I and two small kids that weigh a compined of 70 pounds! I don't expect to carry more than 100 pounds of stuff.

I understand I may be taking a risk as far as warranty but it's one I'm willing to take. After a few local trips, if I see that this isn't working I will likely trade in the car for something like a Kia Rondo (which has a towing capacity of 2000 pounds with similar 2.3 160hp engine!) I have an open lease on this one so I can turn it in at anytime.

Regarding hitch, i called two places and both can install a class 1 (Curt or Reese) on the vehicule no problem, for somewhere around 300$ (with electricity for lights)

...so any comments?

I have seen a Mazda5 brochure from Europe and Philster is correct on the tow ratings.. maybe Mazda NA thinks us North americans will overload and over tow with our 5's ??

Philster said:
A few comments/questions about the towing issue. I'm looking to purchase a Europeen style trailer tent which will weigh approx 800 lbs (much less then North American pop-up which weigh a minimum of 1200 lbs). The trailer also comes with brakes.

Notwitstanding the no-towing mention in the manual, I think I would be OK and I say this for the following reasons:

1. I assume that the mention "not rated for towing" simply means that Mazda has not tested for towing here in North America, therefore cannot give a rating as opposed to the car simply not being able to tow anything.

2. All Mazda cars in NA are rated the same way (the 3, 5 and 6). If the reason why the 5 cant tow is due to the fact that it has the same specs as the 3 but is a bigger car, than logically the 3 should be able to tow something ...

3. The 5 in all EU countries indicate a 600kg tow capacity without breaks and 1300kg with brakes (and that's with a smaller petrole engine of 2.0 litres)

4. I will not be towing with a car full of overweight adults! just my wife and I and two small kids that weigh a compined of 70 pounds! I don't expect to carry more than 100 pounds of stuff.

I understand I may be taking a risk as far as warranty but it's one I'm willing to take. After a few local trips, if I see that this isn't working I will likely trade in the car for something like a Kia Rondo (which has a towing capacity of 2000 pounds with similar 2.3 160hp engine!) I have an open lease on this one so I can turn it in at anytime.

Regarding hitch, i called two places and both can install a class 1 (Curt or Reese) on the vehicule no problem, for somewhere around 300$ (with electricity for lights)

...so any comments?

If you dont surpass the Gross Weight rating on the 5 (located on drivers door or seam) then your ok....

If you have ever towed and lost breaks due to overloading and overheating breaks, it is one hell of a feeling not to able to stop your car.

I don't know why EU and NA cars have diff ratings....

FYI I have a hitch

Zoom5Zoom said:
If you dont surpass the Gross Weight rating on the 5 (located on drivers door or seam) then your ok....

If you have ever towed and lost breaks due to overloading and overheating breaks, it is one hell of a feeling not to able to stop your car.

I don't know why EU and NA cars have diff ratings....

FYI I have a hitch

So if I get this right, you take the Gross weight (4572 lbs according to what I fond on the internet) minus the Curb weight (3389 lbs for the grand-Touring) = 1183 lbs. I'm guessing this should include passengers, cargo and trailer? (I'm going to be cutting it close).

Philster said:
So if I get this right, you take the Gross weight (4572 lbs according to what I fond on the internet) minus the Curb weight (3389 lbs for the grand-Touring) = 1183 lbs. I'm guessing this should include passengers, cargo and trailer? (I'm going to be cutting it close).
yup you got that right.

This is why mazda does not allow towing with the 5.

Zoom5Zoom said:
yup you got that right.

This is why mazda does not allow towing with the 5.

Finally I called my Mazda dealership and asked to speak to the head mechanic. I asking him point blank. I told him I was looking for his opinion as an experienced mechanic and not the Mazda official line. The answer: no problem up to 1500 pounds.. Look's like I'm getting the hitch installed this weekend!

So who dunnit?

I'm from Victoria. Can you be more specific about where you got the leaf? You can e-mail me if you like.

Where in Vic are you? The area in your pics looks familiar. Some of my family are in Mill Bay & Sooke as well.

Johnny

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Got a new hitch cover for some fun.

Oddly enough I got the Canadian Maple Leaf from a guy in Texas! Its home made from aluminum and is very well done.(canada)

Secured with a locking hitch pin I got with my bike rack.

the Gross Vehicle Weight would only need to include the tongue weight of the trailer not the entire trailer weight. Then when you get into how much weight you can tow, it depends on the sturdyness of the tow vehicle and its engine tranny capacity. I've done a good amount of towing in my time, and my gut tells me 1000-1500lbs could be ok, but bare in mind braking ability, hills, and how much stuff will be in the 5 while towing. The length and width of the trailer can play into how well the 5 will do also.... tracking wise.

If anyone is interested, I have an extra class I Curt trailer hitch for sale. I bought two, one for my 5 and one for a friends, but now they don't want it. It has never been installed. The hitch installs quite easily and is barely noticeable on the car.

Steve

Attachments

• PICT0047.JPG
    PICT0047.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 426
  • PICT0048.JPG
    PICT0048.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 567
If you could email me the price for the hitch shipped to zip code 99207, Spokane WA, I might be interested. Thanks!

davesmart (at) hotmail.com

getting a class 1 hitch installed @ cap-it in richmond next week 189 for the hitch n 40 bucks labour before tax

Back