Adding heated mirrors to a Mazda 5

Zoom5Zoom said:
I will say yes until I hook up the new mirror glass I will then tell ya
but although wired the external wire to the glass is not always present..

OK received mirror with element and it did not have wires or connector pins to connector feed through connector for the mirror...

Will think of drilling through holes into the connector and splicing?

Does anyone know btw what pin style is needed for that damn pass through connector anyways?

Any update on this?
Thanks.

Zoom5Zoom said:
OK received mirror with element and it did not have wires or connector pins to connector feed through connector for the mirror...

Will think of drilling through holes into the connector and splicing?

Does anyone know btw what pin style is needed for that damn pass through connector anyways?

Mr5ive said:
Any update on this?
Thanks.
No sorry have been busy with an alternate Idea but I can tell you I have got my hands on a connector I thinks.... secondly I am waiting for the wiring manual also to confirm.

I will try the connector dry run for form and fit...

Zoom5Zoom said:
No sorry have been busy with an alternate Idea but I can tell you I have got my hands on a connector I thinks.... secondly I am waiting for the wiring manual also to confirm.

I will try the connector dry run for form and fit...

eagerly awaiting your results !!

Yaaaa

Got the wiring diagram with pin out of the mirror connector....

The system (rear defrost/heated mirror wiring diagram) requires an added fuse of 7.5A (if it not there already) and secondly the mirror glass with element. I have not givin up finding the correct connector but may just still drill out the correct pins anyways.

I will post all wiring diagrams required for the job later tonight. I anticipate wiring it up next week...(or sooner)

As promissed

I can answer any questions you have on the system...

Attachments

• Mirror Glass Removal and Garnish 1.jpg
    Mirror Glass Removal and Garnish 1.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Rear Defrost_Heated Mirror System Layout.jpg
    Rear Defrost_Heated Mirror System Layout.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 354
  • Heated Mirror Schematic.jpg
    Heated Mirror Schematic.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Heated Mirror Pass Though Connector Pins G and I.jpg
    Heated Mirror Pass Though Connector Pins G and I.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Fuse Box F02 Layout M_DEF 7_5A.jpg
    Fuse Box F02 Layout M_DEF 7_5A.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 328
Zoom5Zoom said:
As promissed

I can answer any questions you have on the system...

Hey there,

So all you have to find is the wire /connector to run from the door to the fuse ? Or is it all in place already ?

Nice mod if it can be done reasonably

Tks,
Medicman

Medicman said:
Hey there,

So all you have to find is the wire /connector to run from the door to the fuse ? Or is it all in place already ?

Nice mod if it can be done reasonably

Tks,
Medicman
The wire seems to be there but I will run a continuity from the fuse box to the wire at the mirror....I feel confident that it will be there which explains on one side of the mirror connector there are 5 wires but on other side of connector only 3 used

Bumping back an old thread since I am now very interested in this. My rear view mirrors are coated with a thick layer ice this morning. I found a few previous thread but it doesn't seem like anyone completed the mod. Mirrors can be found on eBay for about $30 shipped each side.

Any current members added this?

Yes I did.
I bought whole assemblies (glass, mirror bodies, garnish - all assembled) for 2 sides.
Costed me about $200.
Simply swapped the mirrors - took me about 20 minutes. All wiring is already there, so just a snap-on install.
I sold one of the original mirrors for 50$, so total cost for me is 150.
You can buy just a heated glass for ~25$ each. but install will be pretty involved since you will have to make a wire and tap it.
I saw a how to on this site for Mazda 5.
I am lazy so I selected the easiest way (but the most expensive).
I love heated mirrors!

Were heated mirrors not an option there? If anyone wants OEM ones I can check junkyards here.

huh? heated mirrors are standard equipement! just hit the defrost button and they'll unfreeze. Of course the coverage isnt 100% but it's close enough!

dont tell me that heated mirrors became optional equipement in later years? my 2006 has them If I remember correctly both the GS and GT trim lines came with heated mirrors!

I meant in the US.

In Canada, only the GTs have heated mirrors, but this should be a standard feature in any car in Canada IMO.

I don't believe heated rearview mirror was ever an option in the US. Please tell me I'm wrong so I can check junk yards too.

@ DKaz, how much do you think junkyards charge for a pair? I find that full service junkyards are expensive (considering used part vs buying new online from 3rd party –not OEM) but u-pull-it junkyards are much better priced but requires effort on your end so I would expect that you should receive compensation, which takes away at the cost effectiveness of your proposal. Add shipping cost on top, I’m not sure it would work. I do appreciate your offer and hope someone can take advantage of it.

Back