Bike on roof rack + Garage = ARRGGHH

To answer a previous question, I think I calculated the bike cost to retail for around $6000. The frame is covered by a warranty, but it wasn't damaged at all, so it doesn't really matter. The only thing that was damaged was the fork, which is on its way to Fox right now. They said they'd evaluate it for warranty, but it probably wouldn't be covered. The lower part of the fork will cost $80 (dealer cost) and the labor to rebuild the fork will be about $100. And I should have it all back in about 2 weeks. So the bike will get rebuilt in the meantime and I'll be back on the trails in no time.

$180 to fix the bike is actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Glad the frame is OK.

BTW, mine is a Rocky Mountain Switch.

jonlong said:
To answer a previous question, I think I calculated the bike cost to retail for around $6000. The frame is covered by a warranty, but it wasn't damaged at all, so it doesn't really matter. The only thing that was damaged was the fork, which is on its way to Fox right now. They said they'd evaluate it for warranty, but it probably wouldn't be covered. The lower part of the fork will cost $80 (dealer cost) and the labor to rebuild the fork will be about $100. And I should have it all back in about 2 weeks. So the bike will get rebuilt in the meantime and I'll be back on the trails in no time.

i know nothing about mountain bikes, but the one i have is a Schwinn High Sierra. a friend gave it to me, he told me it was one of the first mountain bikes built and it is a classic:)

my pics are currently sitting in my toasted harddrive, but I ride a prototype Simple slalombike (cromo hardtail, 16.5" chainstays with a yoke and clearance for 2.7's) built with a fox vanilla, AC tubular cromo cranks, evil sus guide, etcetc, basically a dirtjump/urban setup.

XC ride is a '98 Kona HeiHei with a bomber atom80 (Kona P2 rigid fork sometimes) hope mini, raceface/xtr dricetrain, WTB lasrdiscXC hubs/laserbeam rims with revolution spokes. prettymuch whatever bling I could add and still stick to a nice subdued silver/black. My last quote retailed it out at 6.6k

Roadbike: 02 GIant TCR with Campy Veloce (okay so I'm not a hardcore roadie, but it's a smooth riding sub-18# bike, and has campy goodness)

bhob5

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11456

Last edited:
The heihei is a sweet bike. One of the guys i work with rides that bike. i'd also like to see some pics of your slalom bike when you have the chance.

The bike is sweet, it's the 3rd proto and the first that wasn't his. he's actually got around to a streamlined system bynow, though the main design elements and geometries are unchanged. Actually he's just started doing a run with roadbike style shifter bosses on the back of the top tube so you can run a single thumb shifter there and not have to worry about snags for barspins, etc. seems awkward, but really it's not allthat bad for what we use 'em for. Only real drawback is awkward shifting from a sprint when running from rentacops.

More info here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=15620

We're still trying to get him online, so sorry for the lack of info at the moment.

Also, here's some pics. one of my bike and one of the creator himself. Bet you never thought a 260# guy could boom a 25' peaky gap, eH? Also, Steel with a yoke. I can't even begin to emphasise how sweet it is to be able to run a 2.7 (that's a 2.7 kenda whatever tire inthere) with a 16.5" chainstay.

Attachments

• brncar.JPG
    brncar.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 132
  • odog.JPG
    odog.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 141
  • clearance.JPG
    clearance.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Sah-weet bikes, guys! :D

I currently ride a Trek Fuel that I've built up over the years.

cycling.jpg

It's finally officially too small for me, so I am spending the winter/early spring building up a dream bike. You guys got 2005 Fork recommendations? I'm going to go with a 2005 Airborne Paka-Wallup Softtail for my beauty ... I can't wait! :D

As far as the Hei.. she's my baby. I've had that bike since 98, and intend to keep it forever. As silly as it may seem to paint ti, the 2-tone on it is one of 2 ever, it's a pattern done-up by Glenn who used to be their us sales rep. My initial 2-tone got messedup so he told me he'd do me something special, and he came through. If you happen to see an orange one like mine, that's it's cousin.

Don't get me wrong, I've been tempted by all of the sweet squishbikes out there lately, and all of my friends are sporting blurs, NRS's, etc, But I've yet to be beat to the bottom by a single one of them. Being familiar with every last handling trait of your ride can replace billions of technology dollars. The heihei's kinda a soul thing. Hell Like I mentioned I ride it rigid alot as well (I try to run with my P2 fork atleast a month every year)

Hardtails rule!

Badger> as far as forks, that's an awefully broad question. You looking for an all-out race setup? Trailriding? combination? I for one am VERY fond of everything fox makes. they've just got it figured out. Between myself and my riding pals, we've got their full range covered. Personally I'd just stick with a float. the funky non-bob valving thigns are cool and all, but in the end, just strange. Supposedly once you get used to them they're nice, but I've got toomuch standard issue pogo programed into me I spose. AS far as my personal fox experience. The Vanilla on my Simple is from the initial run of them. I had to have the crown replaced as I bent the original one nosing into a landing, but the first run had a differetn style weaker crown anyway. Apart from taht it's been running perfectly for 3years now no new sealls or oil or anything. hell I've scratched my stancions on a concrete wall I sissied out on hopping, but it's still working fine and smooth as ever. My HeiHei would have a fox on it if I had the money.

Last edited:
Yeesh, I've been riding/giving my own opinions for over 4 years now and I can't believe I didn't include the 1 question that I always ask too ... What kind of riding do I do?

Mostly XC Racing, with fun trial riding when I can get it. Wisconsin isn't /that/ gnary, 80mm is about all I need. Am willing to trade weight for stiffness though. Current Fork I have is the Manitou Mars Super (2001 - Candy Red) . What's avaiable now that's comperable? The Skareb Super?

If you're looking for stiffness, I would avoid manitou and rock shox. Rock Shox makes an extremely light fork, but the stiffness is usually sub-par and tends to vary a lot from year to year. Manitou is a little better, but there is still some significant torsional flex. Marzocchi makes nice stiff forks, but they tend not to be as plush as a lot of the other forks out there. I think that Fox forks have incredible stiffness and plush travel, at a reasonable weight. 3-4 lbs for an xc fork. But you have to pay to get such quality. It's like Keith Bontrager's saying "Light, Strong, Cheap...pick any two"

BTW, Badger, i was riding a similar fork, an '01 Manitou Mars on my Gary Fisher Sugar 2. I also had a Manitou fork, on my Blur while I was waiting for my Fox to arrive. I could not believe the difference in handling and control when I switched to the Fox fork.

vc.jpg

Who else ride URBAN here ? :D Fox forx addict hehe, undestructible. (canada)

Hell yea I ride urban...

bonk.jpg

Sweet setup man. I was the first in line for hookworms when they came out, but they're jsut toodamn heavy for me. I actually run IRC lover's soul beachcruiser tires for allout pavement. Tend to stick with something more k-rad like thesedays, though mostly 'cause I'm too lazy to swapout tires to hit the jumps.
tdrop.jpg

Couple pics of me on the Cortina. Liked that bike, but LOVE the simple. I just do more riding and less picture taking lately.

Last edited:
Yes..mountain bike horror stories make me cringe. Glad my babies are still intact and undamaged. Those are some nice bikes by the way. Anyone recommend a good freeride hardtail w/ an aluminum frame?3

EDIT: used to have a Rocky MOuntain Rm6, PlanetX Zebdi(trials), GT Pantera, Kona Fire Mountain. Now I'm on my Cove Handjob and looking to upgrade to a better frame.

Last edited:
buddha> what particular flavor are you looking for? Primarily freeride? street? anything else? any specs or features or traits of a particular bike you like? Honestly my buddy's starting to work with aluminum, and being part of the targeting could mean that you get a fairly custom setup for a little less$. I assure you quality will be non-compromised. He's quite retentive. But also, umm, consider steel. For Freeride and just general playbike applications it's often a better choice.

Back