Need cooling fans..

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
As you all remember back in March I installed the AWR (3501) radiator. Worked great for the mild temps of the spring, but now that it is the heat of summer in TEXAS, the stock cooling fans are not sufficient. When it is 90 F+ outside, and I am at a long stoplight, the coolant temps can climb in to the mid 220's F, or even the low 230's F when in traffic! (eek2). My coolant levels are fine, and when I am moving, the temps drop nicely. I need suggestions for some high quality, reliable, high CFM fans that are comparable to the stock size (12 inches). If you have any info on any deals, let me know!

Thanks!

maybe you need something like this, let me know i can work a deal for you

Attachments

• vert 021.jpg
    vert 021.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 304
  • vert.jpg
    vert.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 341
  • vert 022.jpg
    vert 022.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 271
I'm accually needing something a lot slimmer due to the turbo system I have in my MP3. I saw the fans that come with the HiBoost kits, and they fasten the fans to the radiator via anchors. Something more like that...Juan?

LinuxRacr said:
Yeah, I just saw those: http://www.awrracing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=135

http://www.awrracing.com/store/contents/image.php?sizex=200&sizey=150&image[0]=images/products/02-3501.jpg

I'm thinking, why not just get the fans, and then anchor them like HiBoost does? (shrug)
I thought about that too...But the other Chris is right. Every performance radiator fan set up I have seen that has been super effective seals the fan shroud to the radiator in some manner.

The air goes exactly where it is supposed to that way.

I know the price is up there on the AWR fan set up. I plan on getting it once I have some funds saved up and finish all the other dang projects in the que on my car, but I think that is the way to go.

I had a little trouble seeing what was going on in the pics the other Chris posted. Are those the stock fans mounted differently or how is that set up?

Get some spal's dude. I have the same mani as you and I know how close it is. I also have the big T3/T4 and the spal is it, that thing moves some air. . So much that when I had the 80mm mass air on, I had to make something to block the flow around it because it was messing with my mixture by blowing all that hot air on it and into the MAF. I covers the entire area of the radiator that the A/C fan does not. I think I posted a pic before, but here is a couple.

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    368.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Fan.jpg
    Fan.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 281
StuttersC said:
I thought about that too...But the other Chris is right. Every performance radiator fan set up I have seen that has been super effective seals the fan shroud to the radiator in some manner.

The air goes exactly where it is supposed to that way.

I know the price is up there on the AWR fan set up. I plan on getting it once I have some funds saved up and finish all the other dang projects in the que on my car, but I think that is the way to go.

I had a little trouble seeing what was going on in the pics the other Chris posted. Are those the stock fans mounted differently or how is that set up?
those are some FAL fans that the guy already had , we just fabbed up a shroud and put it on a PWR P5 rad.

I got my AWR shroud in my Mazdaspeed, and I gotta say it's a GREAT piece but the fitment with my MSP mani and GT28RS is TIGHT. I don't have pictures yet, but I'll be trying to take some this weekend.

I mean, It can't get much tighter than it is now. I would suggest going with that or the SPD set-up. Give Chris a call and he can hook you up with either.

why are you overheating at idle?? That doesn't make sense if you still have the stock fans.

By the way, does anyone know how many amps our fan relays are capable of, I will be upgrading. Bigg Timm, the stock fans pull about 4 amps and that Spal you have, what does it pull? 15?

LinuxRacr said:
You mean he has a setup for the AWR 3501 radiator?
If that's the "High Performance" radiator that you and I have then yes. :D It took Tony a while to get it to me because he had a supplier issue with the fans, but it was well worth the wait.

Linux, I don't understand, you should not be overheating at idle with your stock fans, expecially with a higher performance radiator. I have been in 115 degree weather and have never seen mine climb over half way, even with AC on. I know your turboed, but at idle your fans should be keeping that hot turbo from soaking into the radiator, right? Could something else be wrong that you don't know of? If you have tapped into your coolant are you sure you're still holding high pressure?

ddogg777 said:
Linux, I don't understand, you should not be overheating at idle with your stock fans, expecially with a higher performance radiator. I have been in 115 degree weather and have never seen mine climb over half way, even with AC on. I know your turboed, but at idle your fans should be keeping that hot turbo from soaking into the radiator, right? Could something else be wrong that you don't know of? If you have tapped into your coolant are you sure you're still holding high pressure?

As I found out later, when my A/C condensor was empty (BEGI SMIC rubbed a hole in it), that fan was effectively inactive. So having a working A/C system makes it so both fans come one, instead of just the radiator fan. I found this out when a Mazda tech filled my A/C condensor with Freon, and the A/C fan (I thought was broken) started working again. Until I got my A/C fixed, I just rewired the A/C fan directly to the Radiator fan, and they both kicked on. I finally fixed my A/C in March 2005 after not having a working A/C for 2 summers in a row.

Back