First time owner

Lebz

:
Mazda CX-5 2016
Hi all,

Never owned a Mazda or a SUV like vehicle. Picked up a 2016 GS in Crystal White and it's been fantastic. Put on roughly 1,800KM already. Been lurking this forum for almost a year as I built up the final decision to go with the cx-5.

I picked up the OEM cargo cover recently and it looks great. Looking to grab the premium OEM mats. Might get the Nav if I see it on ebay for cheaper. I purchased the rear bumper guard when I bought it.. In all honesty it seems pretty useless.

My minor nitpicks:

+Remote Start is a whole other fob (didn't research this enough so was shocked when the dealer handed me my keys). Instructions are terrible but got it down now :) Range is not the best. Not like the aftermarket ones. You do have to be in sight of the car.

+Remote Start turns the engine off when doors open. Pain in the ass... I wish the car would detect if the key was within and make the decision then if it should cut the engine. Or atleast having detecting the key when the break pedal is pushed to change gears. But I get it.. Safety and and security.

+Infotainment system is decent. I like the commander wheel. I listen to a lot of podcasts so the stitcher integration into my phone is great. My only complaint is I would like to be able to scroll through the podcasts episodes under my favourites list as it will only play the most recent. Sometimes I like to listen to older ones but you would have to use your phone to browse previous casts episodes. Audio is oddly low via Bluetooth so I have to crank it up a bit. When I switch back to radio it's quite loud. Side note that Aha app is garbage... Mazda should really focus on more apps for phone integration (such as Waze).

+ I had a low pressure tire alert which I couldn't read unless the car was stopped or slowed to a crawl. I did have a flat but the indication app in the infotainment system doesn't specify which tire. Don't think it would be much for Mazda to have a graphic of the car with the tire in question.

+ I don't get why the driver and passenger windows aren't tinted. Didn't bother me at first but now I'm like WTF?

Last edited:
Congrats for your new ride.

+ I had a low pressure tire alert which I couldn't read unless the car was stopped or slowed to a crawl. I did have a flat but the indication app in the infotainment system doesn't specify which tire. Don't think it would be much for Mazda to have a graphic of the car with the tire in question.
Mazda uses a cheaper way, ABS speed sensor on each road tire, for TPMS system. There is no pressure sensor for each tire, hence there is no way to tell which specific tire pressure is low like many other competitors. And the system won't cover your spare tire so make sure to check the spare pressure from time to time.

+ I don't get why the driver and passenger windows aren't tinted. Didn't bother me at first but now I'm like WTF?
That's US federal and state mandates. I believe they just follow the suit in Canada.

It is illegal in some states and also a safety concern for police officers (You could have your window rolled up fully with limo tint and a gun pointing right at him, but he wouldnt be able to tell).

Congrats for your new ride.

Mazda uses a cheaper way, ABS speed sensor on each road tire, for TPMS system. There is no pressure sensor for each tire, hence there is no way to tell which specific tire pressure is low like many other competitors. And the system won't cover your spare tire so make sure to check the spare pressure from time to time.

The ABS method is much more common now except on luxury vehicles. The in-tire monitors are expensive and failure prone, resulting in lots of service calls and annoyance. Although it is possible to give an indication of which wheel is off using ABS - after all, that's what its monitoring. I think some newer VW's will do this.

There is no pressure sensor for each tire, hence there is no way to tell which specific tire pressure is low like many other competitors.

That's incorrect. The wheel speed sensor method of monitoring tires is certainly capable of indicating which tire(s) has a problem. The fact that it doesn't return that info is due to the fact that it's not really helpful information. Tire pressures need to be consistent side to side (and front/back on AWD). When adjusting pressure on one tire, all tires should be checked at the same time. If the TPMS indicated which specific tire was showing a red flag, it could lead a nave motorist to believe all the other tires are fine, something this type of system cannot determine conclusively.

Additionally, if forum members experience with the TPMS system are representative, most low pressure alerts are the result of user error (improper reset procedure). In this case, all tires need to be equalized and the system reset. It's best for the TPMS to function as a general alert than to point to a specific tire.

That's incorrect. The wheel speed sensor method of monitoring tires is certainly capable of indicating which tire(s) has a problem. The fact that it doesn't return that info is due to the fact that it's not really helpful information. Tire pressures need to be consistent side to side (and front/back on AWD). When adjusting pressure on one tire, all tires should be checked at the same time. If the TPMS indicated which specific tire was showing a red flag, it could lead a nave motorist to believe all the other tires are fine, something this type of system cannot determine conclusively.

Additionally, if forum members experience with the TPMS system are representative, most low pressure alerts are the result of user error (improper reset procedure). In this case, all tires need to be equalized and the system reset. It's best for the TPMS to function as a general alert than to point to a specific tire.

That's true, an interesting thought. It could lead to the user resetting the TPMS with other tires having issues. Checking all the tires is a good time to inspect tread and sidewalls.

Most people like the idea of direct read until it breaks or they need new tires. It's not recommended to re-use the sensors with new tires. Even if you do, the battery will only last 5-7 years. And then they're $70-$100ish each.

In the end, direct read TPMS likely adds several hundred dollars to the cost of ownership over a few years. I'd rather have a warning light and check it myself.

Last edited:
The ABS method is much more common now except on luxury vehicles. The in-tire monitors are expensive and failure prone, resulting in lots of service calls and annoyance. Although it is possible to give an indication of which wheel is off using ABS - after all, that's what its monitoring. I think some newer VW's will do this.
I stand corrected on my statement. Please tell me how does the Mazda display this kind of TPMS message, found on the very popular Nissan Rogue, with ABS speed sensors?

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

Another flaw on TPMS using ABS speed sensors, is it can't detect the problem when all 4 road tires are low on pressure at the same time due to seasonal changes. In addition, there is no way the system can check pressure on spare tire. Ended up most people had found out their spare was 20 psi below spec without any TPMS warning!

That been said, I have no complaints on TPMS using ABS speed sensors as those pressure sensors inside of each tire are expensive. But they're not like $70~$100ish each. Last time I checked, a set (4) of OEM TPMS tire pressure sensors for Rogue costs $136. Aftermarket one from tire shops will be a lot cheaper. Even if you replace all sensors at each tire replacement for preventive maintenance, they won't cost you several hundred dollars to the cost of ownership over a few years. Nevertheless they're hassle to replace if any one of them ever fails.

I stand corrected on my statement. Please tell me how does the Mazda display this kind of TPMS message, found on the very popular Nissan Rogue, with ABS speed sensors?

2016-nissan-rogue-tire-pressure-monitoring.jpg

You misread my post. It is possible to tell which wheel is off using ABS, but not read the direct pressure. Some makes using ABS will tell you which wheel it is, but most do not. Mike points out a reason why that may be.

Another flaw on TPMS using ABS speed sensors, is it can't detect the problem when all 4 road tires are low on pressure at the same time due to seasonal changes. In addition, there is no way the system can check pressure on spare tire. Ended up most people had found out their spare was 20 psi below spec without any TPMS warning!

That been said, I have no complaints on TPMS using ABS speed sensors as those pressure sensors inside of each tire are expensive. But they're not like $70~$100ish each. Last time I checked, a set (4) of OEM TPMS tire pressure sensors for Rogue costs $136. Aftermarket one from tire shops will be a lot cheaper. Even if you replace all sensors at each tire replacement for preventive maintenance, they won't cost you several hundred dollars to the cost of ownership over a few years. Nevertheless they're hassle to replace if any one of them ever fails.

Seasonal changes aren't a big drop. You live in Texas, you know how fast temps can shift here. A drop of 40 degrees ambient doesn't alter it enough to be unsafe. Ignoring a spare tire's pressure for too long is just neglect of ownership. If anything, displaying a message to check it every few weeks would work as well.

The cost of a sensor varies widely. A quick look finds some past years Mazdas that used direct read run about $70. Other makes are much more expensive.

Seasonal changes aren't a big drop. You live in Texas, you know how fast temps can shift here. A drop of 40 degrees ambient doesn't alter it enough to be unsafe. Ignoring a spare tire's pressure for too long is just neglect of ownership. If anything, displaying a message to check it every few weeks would work as well.
When I checked my spare after a couple of months we bought the CX-5, it's at 40 psi, 20 psi below spec! I assumed the dealer didn't do a good job for new car inspection. But when I checked the spare the second time in last Nov., it's again at 45 psi! The last time I checked my spare in Jan., it again was low at 45 psi. That makes me believe the temperature affects CX-5's spare tire greatly.

The same on our 4 19" road tires. I did check the tire pressure when new in Mar. 2015 and set to 38 psi. In May they all dropped to 32 psi. In Nov. they again all dropped to 32 psi from 38 psi. In Jan. since it's cold (40F), they all dropped to 26 psi from 38 psi! Again, I feel these 4 road tires are very sensitive to temperature and require constant attention.

None of above situation triggered TPMS warning. We can't rely on TPMS on CX-5 for low tire pressures unless we have a more sophisticated TPMS like Nissan Rogue's. To me, TPMS on CX-5 is almost useless. The best way is to trust myself and keep checking the tire pressure. And don't hurt your back when you check your spare.

Good reminder to check my spare tire pressure... I haven't done that in probably 6 months.

When I checked my spare after a couple of months we bought the CX-5, it's at 40 psi, 20 psi below spec! I assumed the dealer didn't do a good job for new car inspection. But when I checked the spare the second time in last Nov., it's again at 45 psi! The last time I checked my spare in Jan., it again was low at 45 psi. That makes me believe the temperature affects CX-5's spare tire greatly.

The same on our 4 19" road tires. I did check the tire pressure when new in Mar. 2015 and set to 38 psi. In May they all dropped to 32 psi. In Nov. they again all dropped to 32 psi from 38 psi. In Jan. since it's cold (40F), they all dropped to 26 psi from 38 psi! Again, I feel these 4 road tires are very sensitive to temperature and require constant attention.

None of above situation triggered TPMS warning. We can't rely on TPMS on CX-5 for low tire pressures unless we have a more sophisticated TPMS like Nissan Rogue's. To me, TPMS on CX-5 is almost useless. The best way is to trust myself and keep checking the tire pressure. And don't hurt your back when you check your spare.

My tires hold air quite well. I'll see maybe a 10% shift in wild ambient swings, otherwise only need to air up every 4 months or so. Either your tires have an issue, or, more likely, you're exaggerating to prove whatever point it is you want to complain about.

Also, your math isn't too good on the cost of TPMS sensors. Lets say you can get a set for $136. Okay, so you replace your tires twice in a few years of ownership that's $272 right there, without labor. But if you break a tire in that span you'll need another one, and they generally cost more as singles. Then if one fails as they often do, there's another - plus labor. So I don't know what you consider 'hundreds', but I think anything over $300 certainly qualifies. $50 a year (at least, before labor, and most models cost more than that) for direct read TCO vs $0 for ABS.

Last edited:
That makes me believe the temperature affects CX-5's spare tire greatly.

The temperature affects the CX-5 spare in exactly the same way it affects the reduced size spare in ALL cars. In other words, according to the laws of physics.

We can't rely on TPMS on CX-5 for low tire pressures unless we have a more sophisticated TPMS like Nissan Rogue's. To me, TPMS on CX-5 is almost useless. The best way is to trust myself and keep checking the tire pressure.

It's not intended to warn you of normal gradual pressure loss through the tire carcass. Anyone who has more than a few years of car ownership experience is aware that all tires lose pressure over time and need to be periodically topped up. The loss is slow and gradual so exactly when you do it is not critical as long as you do it regularly. Nor is the TPMS intended to warn against pressure changes due to large changes in temperature. Hopefully, you know if daytime highs went from 80's to 30's you need some air.

What it is intended to do is warn you of punctures causing one of your tires to go flat. This is a common problem and many deaths have been caused by a simple screw, nail or brad which goes unnoticed by the driver until the low pressure causes them to lose control of their vehicle at 70 or 80 mph. The system is highly effective at this as I can testify. I had a nail in my tread and my TPMS warning alerted me. I couldn't tell which tire was low by a visual inspection but, by using a tire pressure gauge, the problem tire was located. I couldn't see any damage so I filled it back up to match the others and went on my way. 3 days later the warning sounded again. I still couldn't tell it was low visually but it was 3-4 psi below the others. The tire shop was able to patch the puncture and it hasn't sounded off since.

Had I not had a TPMS, I would have driven the car until one of two things occurred:

1) Driving dynamics alerted me to the problem. At this point the tire might be so low I can't safely drive anywhere for a quick repair. As it was I never had to get the spare out.
2) The air got low enough that I had a high-speed blowout on a freeway. This can be deadly during the blowout itself or the subsequent roadside repair.

Far from useless, a very important bit of safety technology.

. Either your tires have an issue, or, more likely, you're exaggerating to prove whatever point it is you want to complain about.

(iagree)

And he does complain a lot about the oddest things.

(iagree)

And he does complain a lot about the oddest things.

Next up: a complaint about the washer fluid fill cap.

Or: Ford now uses capless fuel fillers. Mazda: 100% junk!

(I actually like the capless filler and would like to see it used more often)

Next up: a complaint about the washer fluid fill cap.

Or: Ford now uses capless fuel fillers. Mazda: 100% junk!

(I actually like the capless filler and would like to see it used more often)

I really wish this forum had a like button or reputation system! (thumb)

My tires hold air quite well. I'll see maybe a 10% shift in wild ambient swings, otherwise only need to air up every 4 months or so. Either your tires have an issue, or, more likely, you're exaggerating to prove whatever point it is you want to complain about.

Also, your math isn't too good on the cost of TPMS sensors. Lets say you can get a set for $136. Okay, so you replace your tires twice in a few years of ownership that's $272 right there, without labor. But if you break a tire in that span you'll need another one, and they generally cost more as singles. Then if one fails as they often do, there's another - plus labor. So I don't know what you consider 'hundreds', but I think anything over $300 certainly qualifies. $50 a year (at least, before labor, and most models cost more than that) for direct read TCO vs $0 for ABS.
I don't have to exaggerate tire pressure numbers to prove nothing. These numbers were also surprised me that's why I remember them. At least one member here took my advise to check his spare, turned out as I predicted, at 40 psi which is 20 psi below the spec!

I had said earlier in this thread that I like this cheaper version of TPMS utilizing ABS speed sensors. But people had better to know its limitations and it's different from the more sophisticated "direct-read" TPMS. Several friends of mine have never checked the tire pressure as they all thought the TPMS will warn them to refill the air if necessary. It's actually sometimes dangerous as you may have well under-inflated tires, in my case, at 27 psi, and go for a long trip!

Yeah, my math may not be as good as yours but the last time I checked, you don't really have to replace the pressure sensors each time you replace the tires. A good tire nowadays can easily last up to 60~80K miles. And I don't really get why you need to replace tires twice in a few years?! And replacing the expensive sensors at the same time which is unnecessary? Even if you want to do the preventive maintenance making sure you don't want to spent the extra labor mounting tire when you have a failed pressure sensor, you can always get TPMS rebuild kit at time of tire replacement. Discount Tire charges $6 each for the kit, which is not expensive at all.

I'm actually glad the Mazda uses the current method for TPMS. Other versions require replacement at some point as they have a battery. I had one replaced under warranty on my Infiniti. Granted.... inflated dealer cost but it was like $250 for a sophisticated valve stem. Aside from my spare I check my tires about once a month.

We are new CX-5 owners as well (just picked it up over the weekend). Ours is a 2016.5 and we were told the following:

1) The 2016.5 Touring comes with Navigation and heated cloth seats

2) If wanting remote start, there are (3) options for Remote start on the CX-5:
A) Aftemarket remote start which is an entirely different fob and is not comparable with the Mazda fob that comes with the vehicle.
B) Mazda factory remote start - which would be a single remote fob with the lock/unlock/start capabilities.
C) A mobile remote start that is used or operated on a mobile phone - apparently this is the most expensive option too.

We opted for the factory Mazda remote start (B) and it's to be installed after they get in the parts over the next week.

Last edited:
We are new CX-5 owners as well (just picked it up over the weekend). Ours is a 2016.5 and we were told the following:

1) The 2016.5 Touring comes with Navigation and heated cloth seats

2) If wanting remote start, there are (3) options for Remote start on the CX-5:
A) Aftemarket remote start which is an entirely different fob and is not comparable with the Mazda fob that comes with the vehicle.
B) Mazda factory remote start - which would be a single remote fob with the lock/unlock/start capabilities.
C) A mobile remote start that is used or operated on a mobile phone - apparently this is the most expensive option too.

We opted for the factory Mazda remote start (B) and it's to be installed after they get in the parts over the next week.
Option B Mazda factory remote start used to have a separate fob for prior years' models. May be Mazda finally made the improvement for 2016.5 MY.

BTW, do you have a cover on the small storage area on the left panel beneath these TCS/BSM/TPMS switches?

Back