The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

i know these are exactly what you are thinking of but a friend of mine has the Ranger Quick Jack 3500.. they have a 3500lb model and a 5000lb model. they can be powered by your car battery or plugged into a wall. which makes these awesome for track days and in the garage. I keep toying with the idea of buying a set for myself, just have a few bigger/more important things to buy first. These are a great option for someone that wants a lift but is worried about space in garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l4TAV1wyds

3500 lb version

Maximum lift of 13.5" above the fully compressed unit
Locking heights of 13.5" and 9.5"
Collapsed length of 61"
Lifting units weigh 45 lbs each
Maximum load of 3500 lb

5000 lb version

Maximum lift of 15.5" above the fully compressed unit
Locking heights of 15.5" and 11.5"
Collapsed length of 69"
Lifting units weigh 65 lbs each
Maximum load of 5000 lb

That's really cool!

My wife may have convinced me to go with a four-post. Overall they have a smaller footprint and are convenient for storage but not so much for suspension/wheel work without add-ons that are $$$! The idea would be to progressively build a more awesome setup as time and money allows. Start with the lift and simple cross plates to support bottle jacks for suspension/wheel work. Later on, add a high-end air compressor and then even later get the fancy air/hydraulic jacks. With install and everything the whole setup would run nearer to $10k but would pretty much be a end-all system.

My wife may have convinced me to go with a four-post. Overall they have a smaller footprint and are convenient for storage but not so much for suspension/wheel work without add-ons that are $$$! The idea would be to progressively build a more awesome setup as time and money allows. Start with the lift and simple cross plates to support bottle jacks for suspension/wheel work. Later on, add a high-end air compressor and then even later get the fancy air/hydraulic jacks. With install and everything the whole setup would run nearer to $10k but would pretty much be a end-all system.

I'll say I have seen a few guys with the MaxJax. One guy out of Kansas City built his Z06 in his garage with one. I'd say it would handle the RX7 no problem.

I'll say I have seen a few guys with the MaxJax. One guy out of Kansas City built his Z06 in his garage with one. I'd say it would handle the RX7 no problem.

It's definitely an option if I can't find any way to fit a full-sized two- or four-post lift in the garage. The MaxJax has several things going against it:

1. Quality of the hydraulic fittings - There's been countless accounts of leaking fittings within the first year of ownership. It's not a deal-breaker since one can go out and buy better fittings but it adds to the overall price of the lift.
2. Overall price - The lift retails for about $2300 but I've seen people acquire them for slightly less than $2000. Considering a good two- or four-point lift goes for around $3000 the only reason, in my opinion, to get the MaxJax is if one can't fit a full-sized lift in their garage.
3. Capacity - if I recall correctly the MaxJax's maximum capacity is 6000 lbs. That's plenty for my RX-7, which should come in less than 2400 lb, but that's not my only vehicle. The 3500 lb fatty Jetta TDi is good but the 4900 lb heifer that is the Flex makes me a bit nervous.
4. Requirements - MaxJax states a minimum 4.5" thick concrete slab is required. That's not much, but consider the fact most residential garages have 4" slabs and even then it's often closer to 3.5" since most developers use 2x4's for containment while pouring. A good two-post with top or bottom plates requires 4" and four-posts can require as little as 3".

I'm not saying it's a bad lift. In the end, I may end up going with it if there's no way to fit a full-sized lift in the garage. I've seen some impressive garages built around MaxJax's with upgraded fittings, custom hydraulic lines, and special concrete pads for the posts.

Tried to buy some used PF01's but the seller didn't want to come too far off what they cost new.

Test drove this little guy over the weekend while waiting for April to get done with an interview.
d95bee333aa3b049bf666729ebad08eb.jpg
Fun little car and very comparable to handling and speed like a MSP, but smaller.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I think it's the bigger seats and bigger dash that make them feel smaller. It's just over a foot shorter than the MSP and rear leg room is about 3 inches shorter.

Fun little cars for sure. I was SERIOUSLY considering one for about a year to replace the 2. I hated the regular seats and the Recaro's, while awesome, made it impossible to fit a rear-facing car seat without having the passenger's knees in the dashboard. Ended up being smarter and sold the 2 anyway to bring our car total down 3. I'm still subtly goading the wife into a Golf R though. It's too bad TDi values have tanked since the emissions scandal last year.

I hated the regular seats and the Recaro's, while awesome, made it impossible to fit a rear-facing car seat without having the passenger's knees in the dashboard.

I felt the same way about the Focus ST too. It was a bigger, but really not by much in the rear seat. I would definitely consider both cars when both kids are forward facing.

I always impulse buy good BlipShift shirts. Then I never wear them because no one knows what they mean.

I felt the same way about the Focus ST too. It was a bigger, but really not by much in the rear seat. I would definitely consider both cars when both kids are forward facing.
My wife was telling me yesterday it may soon be mandated that children be rear-facing until 2 years-old. We had our son forward-facing at 13 months because he was too long (tall) for the rear-facing seat. I didn't feel like getting another seat that he'd grow out of in a year so we just put him in a forward-facing seat that he still uses. Our daughter is shorter so we'll probably get more use unless she exceeds the weight limit; she loves to eat.

I always impulse buy good BlipShift shirts. Then I never wear them because no one knows what they mean.
I used to follow them quite a bit and stopped a while back. It's a shame because there's been some good rotary-themed shirts lately. I just have to wait until the next time they come around in a different color or something. I feel like all I ever wear are t-shirts and jeans anymore.

That's why I don't buy them.
My wife was telling me yesterday it may soon be mandated that children be rear-facing until 2 years-old. We had our son forward-facing at 13 months because he was too long (tall) for the rear-facing seat. I didn't feel like getting another seat that he'd grow out of in a year so we just put him in a forward-facing seat that he still uses. Our daughter is shorter so we'll probably get more use unless she exceeds the weight limit; she loves to eat.

My wife mentioned it the other day too. The seat in my wife's car is forward & rear facing and has been forward since August-ish, I had Kennedy's rear facing seat in my car for him to use but just took it out last night because I realized he's hardly ever in my car. Probably can't fit either.

On the way to pre-school this morning, Kennedy informed me that when she is a mommy she will be driving my car and I'm not allowed to get rid of it so she can have it. We'll see if it lasts that long.

I used to follow them quite a bit and stopped a while back. It's a shame because there's been some good rotary-themed shirts lately. I just have to wait until the next time they come around in a different color or something. I feel like all I ever wear are t-shirts and jeans anymore.

Here is the thing is Ohio (i pulled up the ORC and read it myself), the end all the car seat laws with a general statement that the recommendations of the manufacture prevail. So, if the kid at 13 months is too long, or too heavy for rear facing, they must go front facing anyways. I'm sure you will have some dick cop, who will loose his ass in civil court afterwards, if they mandate rear facing till 2 years.

We had Tony front facing since he turned 1. He was always 99% in height, and 95% in weight, and rear facing was not working (he had his feet jammed in the seat and his knees bent). John may not meet the requirement for front facing at 1, so we will play that one by ear. At two though, it would be a complete pain to get a kid ind and out of a convertible car seat that's rear facing.

Kennedy was not feeling good so I had to take Carter to the babysitter this morning, turns out they are at the same setting in their car seats. Also, Kennedy needs her tonsils taken out.

In car related news, I decided to be cheap and ricey and bought this Chinese ebay cat-back (honestly, it looks no different that my old Corksport exhaust from the MSP). Comes with silencers I plan on leaving in. I heard clips with out the silencers they didn't seem bad. It arrived on Saturday and the welds were pretty clean. I just can't justify spending the extra $400 for a Magnaflow. Worst case scenario, I can learn how to use the welder putting on different mufflers later. I didn't notice when I purchased but funny part is, they advertise 4.5" tips which are too big IMO but the picture shows just under 4". I'll have to measure them at some point.
1-EX-MZM60361-A10.jpg

Spent the weekend in the garage thanks to the heat wave. Just some general cleaning and going through all the tools I have accumulated to see what I have and if I have duplicates I can get rid of. how many sets of screw drivers does one really need?

Anybody else so anything to take advantage of the awesome February weather?

Last edited:
Back