Engine Oil Rise

The facts are with Mazda's new low compression Skyactiv Diesel (like may new diesels) they are not meant for those who do short distance cold start driving.
The engine must be given the opportunity to burn off the DPF, a minimum of 30 minutes (at full operating temperature and over 60 KPH) is needed.
IF you are just short driving to the shops and back, you are killing your cars engine.
Oil Level rising is Diesel Fuel getting into the Oil Pan (Sump).

You must get the Oil and Oil Filter changed now...go to another dealer.

Diesels engine are basically a lot cleaner because of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), however Diesel engine cars have NEVER been used or known for short haul work...period.
People may tell you otherwise (particularly salesmen), and you will find owners here who have never had a problem, but you are not their user or driver.
The CX-5 is a fantastic car, but....

The facts are with Mazda's new low compression Skyactiv Diesel (like may new diesels) they are not meant for those who do short distance cold start driving.
The engine must be given the opportunity to burn off the DPF, a minimum of 30 minutes (at full operating temperature and over 60 KPH) is needed.
IF you are just short driving to the shops and back, you are killing your cars engine.
Oil Level rising is Diesel Fuel getting into the Oil Pan (Sump).

You must get the Oil and Oil Filter changed now...go to another dealer.

Diesels engine are basically a lot cleaner because of Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), however Diesel engine cars have NEVER been used or known for short haul work...period.
People may tell you otherwise (particularly salesmen), and you will find owners here who have never had a problem, but you are not their user or driver.
The CX-5 is a fantastic car, but....

I have been driving DPF diesel cars now since 2008, I only do 7K miles a year, most short journeys, some towing which produces lots of soot, and have never killed an engine yet.

Fact is short trips benefit NO engine petrol or diesel, but it takes years to kill them.

I purchased my CX5 in March of this year and so far it has done 1100 miles. It has the 'C' type dipstick and I assume has all the upgrades that have been discussed in this thread.
My Brother in Law has a 4 year old petrol 6 and remarked in passing that he bought petrol because of the problems associated with Mazda diesels. This in turn prompted me to check in the forum and I discovered that the CX5 had the same problem!
I then checked the oil level in my 2 month old CX5 and to my dismay the level was already 4mm over the Full mark.
Next Day I drove to the dealer who sold the car (140 mile round trip) and was told that I was being overly concerned and that I should bring the car in if I got a warning light showing on the Dash.
This afternoon (a week later) I checked the oil level again after turning off the ignition and waiting 15 minutes. This time the dipstick was wet up to 8mm over the Full mark and 3mm of that was a thinner fluid which appeared to be full of tiny bubbles. I went to fetch a camera, but by the time I got back the 3mm of thinner fluid had evaporated and the 5mm of heavier fluid (oil) remained.
I am now in my senior years, but as a young man I used to work on my own cars and bubbles in oil usually meant that the crank was thrashing the oil in the sump.
Can anyone help with an explanation as to the cause of the bubbles. Is this due to failed regeneration of the DPF or could it be due to something else?
Needless to say I am totally hacked off that I have just bought a 24,000 car that is less than perfect and will not be fit to last my retirement years as planned because of likely long term damage to the engine from diluted lubrication.

At present my car is around 8mm over the full mark, but I don't get any bubbles, that doesn't sound right to me. The oil I've read is designed to cope with some dilution, but I only ever get oil on the dip stick.

I have had many issues with fuel dilution in the sump and the oil pressure light coming on etc. I have a 175bhp AWD Sport Nav and have had it back for free service every 6 months. total of 4 in two years covering 24K. I drive the SUV 50 miles every day on mainly motorway at 60-70mph. The Manufacturer has upgraded the dipstick the software etc but the problem still persists. If the oil was not changed for free I would sell the car. Everything is great with the CX 5 especially the economy . I have averaged about 44MPG in the two years. However I have had the dreaded Oil pressure up twice and only 6K after a main service. I do not believ that my driving style is the problem. The problem is that Mazda do not know what to do so they fudge the dipstick level and tweek the software but we all know that the diluted sump will just make the oil too thin to pump!! and thus this is why the warning comes up. I am part of the which Consumer group and I am now considering placing an article in the magazine. I am also a time served Diesel Engineer with a degree in Mecahnical Engineering so they have trouble pulling the wool over my eyes. I would like to know how many of you are having the same experience and what support Mazda has given you? I did not expect to purchase a car advertised for annual service or 10K to have to do it every 6months or 6K which is basically what I have been doing. I look forward to hearing from you all. Almost forgot the economy gets better as the oil thins. Maybe the only positive!!!!
Modify Message

I personally wouldn't put up with the car if I wasn't a low mileage driver, I averaged 7K last year and the oil level was around 8mm over the full mark, its at that now at 11.5K miles with a service due in July.

I have been driving DPF diesel cars now since 2008, I only do 7K miles a year, most short journeys, some towing which produces lots of soot, and have never killed an engine yet.

Fact is short trips benefit NO engine petrol or diesel, but it takes years to kill them.

Wow, since 2008, that is a real long time.

You are very short of any technical knowledge or skills.
The SA-D is the worlds first low compression diesel which only uses a DPF.
DPF HAS TO have a long drive cycle to burn off....regeneration is about every 120 KMs, above 60 KPH at a constant engine running.
IF you have had so many "diesels" then why? if you ONLY do short distance driving, I fail to see where you get any $$ value.
I guess this is the internet though.
Perhaps your old diesels were SCR?, which Mazda no longer uses since 2009/10 MZ-D.
Have a look around, THESE issues are everywhere unfortunately with this engine, including Australia.
Reliability is the reason Mazda has not launched these diesels in the USA (nearly 3 years late) and they wont as this diesel engine is too unreliable for 'some' users.
Diesels always have and always will be for long haul use.
Any other use is just idiotic.

Lack Of Reporting On Oil Level Rise In Any Publications

I have had many issues with fuel dilution in the sump and the oil pressure light coming on etc. I have a 175bhp AWD Sport Nav and have had it back for free service every 6 months. total of 4 in two years covering 24K. I drive the SUV 50 miles every day on mainly motorway at 60-70mph. The Manufacturer has upgraded the dipstick the software etc but the problem still persists. If the oil was not changed for free I would sell the car. Everything is great with the CX 5 especially the economy . I have averaged about 44MPG in the two years. However I have had the dreaded Oil pressure up twice and only 6K after a main service. I do not believ that my driving style is the problem. The problem is that Mazda do not know what to do so they fudge the dipstick level and tweek the software but we all know that the diluted sump will just make the oil too thin to pump!! and thus this is why the warning comes up. I am part of the which Consumer group and I am now considering placing an article in the magazine. I am also a time served Diesel Engineer with a degree in Mecahnical Engineering so they have trouble pulling the wool over my eyes. I would like to know how many of you are having the same experience and what support Mazda has given you? I did not expect to purchase a car advertised for annual service or 10K to have to do it every 6months or 6K which is basically what I have been doing. I look forward to hearing from you all. Almost forgot the economy gets better as the oil thins. Maybe the only positive!!!!
Modify Message

Broadbean, It is pretty incredulous that discussion or reporting of this problem has not been evident in any of the mainstream motoring 'on line' reviews or in Which magazine.
I chose to purchase a CX-5 on the basis of all the Motoring Reviews I could find 'on line', including the What Car long term review, which made no mention of problems associated with Oil Rises and DPF problems or any reference to short journeys being detrimental to DPF operation. In fact the only brochure I found which made reference to driving habits and diesel variants was the one for the Nissan Qashqai.

I am trying to establish the manufacture date of my car from the VIN on the Driver Side Pillar. The VIN is JMZKEF9160017xxxx.
I want to confirm that my vehicle should have all the relevant updates relating to this thread.
My understanding is that the 10th character from the left represents the production year which should be A-F for 2010-2015.
The character representing the year on my vehicle is the numeral 0.
Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't put up with the car if I wasn't a low mileage driver, I averaged 7K last year and the oil level was around 8mm over the full mark, its at that now at 11.5K miles with a service due in July.

xtrailman, Thanks for the information. I wonder what the common denominator is for the oil problem. The posts from Australia have diminished since the ECU upgrade, Sensor change and new dipstick.
I wonder if the predominance of posts relating to the Oil problem are currently coming from posters who do short journeys?

Last edited:
I am trying to establish the manufacture date of my car from the VIN on the Driver Side Pillar. The VIN is JMZKEF9160017xxxx.
I want to confirm that my vehicle should have all the relevant updates relating to this thread.
My understanding is that the 10th character from the left represents the production year which should be A-F for 2010-2015.
Can anyone help?

Hi CX5-IMP

On my CX5 you can find out the month and the year from the label attached to the seatbelt. I know from my supplying dealer that it was manufactured on 30th September 2013. The seatbelt label says September 2013. The CX5 (facelift) I had as a courtesy car 2 weeks ago said December 2014 on the seatbelt label.

Cheers

Jonno21

Hi CX5-IMP

On my CX5 you can find out the month and the year from the label attached to the seatbelt. I know from my supplying dealer that it was manufactured on 30th September 2013. The seatbelt label says September 2013. The CX5 (facelift) I had as a courtesy car 2 weeks ago said December 2014 on the seatbelt label.

Cheers

Jonno21

Thanks Jonno, the data on the label is 11 12 11/2014 so i presume that the production date is November, 2014.

Can anyone help?
On North American cars there's a manufacturer's sticker on the driver's side door jamb right under the latch strike plate. Not so on UK version?

On North American cars there's a manufacturer's sticker on the driver's side door jamb right under the latch strike plate. Not so on UK version?

Hi Paris1,
Yes there is a stick on label on the central pillar. That's where I got the VIN from. But the VIN does not contain a 'legal year character'.
Thanks for responding

Wow, OK moderator Totally delete my post...!
I have a lot more information from the factory (Japan), obviously stick your head in the sand and good luck to you all, you will need it.
You do know engine camshafts and turbos are also failing in large numbers in the 2.2 SA-Diesel.
Oh I forgot.. the leaking Injectors is another issue.
I am a Mazda owner of many products close to 50 years, but this Mazda designed Diesel engine IS the worse they have ever made, they may sort it in time,
Worse than any rotary.
BTW: Replacing a Dipstick does not FIX the issue, it just delays 'the View' from an owners point of view.
The SA normal petrol engine is great.

Last edited:
Hi AdzamOZ,
I, like many others have been driving diesels for a long time. This is my first Mazda diesel that I have owned that has a DPF. Prior to this I have owned 4 diesel Mondeos over a period of nearly 15 years.
The previous 2 Mondeos have had a DPF and never gave rise to any problems despite being driven for lots of short journeys, interspersed with a few long ones.
The advantages of owning a diesel car are many, but my main reasons for always choosing diesel cars is simplicity of maintenance, robustness in extreme wet conditions, never having to renew an exhaust system, pulling performance and economy, even on short journeys.
If ths problem of oil rising in the sump is because of failed DPF regenerations due to short journeys it would be a very simple matter for Mazda to program into the ECU an auto/manual setup for drivers to choose when to initiate a DPF regeneration.
When set to Auto, it would work as it does now. When set to Manual the driver could choose when to initiate the regeneration when he was undertaking a longer journey.
The manual setting could be supplemented by warning messages on the instrument display to tell the driver to initiate a regeneration because the pressure differential at the DPF was above the desired level.
This setup would enable the car to run normally and because the regeneration process was being done on demand, it would be a simple matter to tie any oil level changes to the regeneration process if they started to rise.
Any question of warranty claims for blocked DPF filters would be invalid if the driver chose to ignore messages to complete a regeneration process because driver actions/inactions would be recorded in the ECU memory.
If drivers were concerned about warranty issues, they would leave the regeneration process set to Auto.
To those who would say that this would be too complicated for ordinary mortals - I would say that the conditions set out in the Manual by Mazda for drivers to meet the warranty conditions are more complicated. Checking oil at every 1000km etc.
Mazda used to be regarded as the Japanese Rolls Royce and I owned one of the naturally aspirated 626 diesels when they were first imported into the UK. It was a super, reliable car.
The CX-5 is a great car but it is badly let down by the current DPF regeneration system.
Anyway, thanks for responding to my post.

Last edited:
Hi AdzamOZ,
I, like many others have been driving diesels for a long time. This is my first Mazda diesel that I have owned that has a DPF. Prior to this I have owned 4 diesel Mondeos over a period of nearly 20 years.
The previous 2 Mondeos have had a DPF and never gave rise to any problems despite being driven for lots of short journeys, interspersed with a few long ones.
The advantages of owning a diesel car are many, but my main reasons for always choosing diesel cars is simplicity of maintenance, robustness in extreme wet conditions, never having to renew an exhaust system, pulling performance and economy, even on short journeys.
If ths problem of oil rising in the sump is because of failed DPF regenerations due to short journeys it would be a very simple matter for Mazda to program into the ECU an auto/manual setup for drivers to choose when to initiate a DPF regeneration.
When set to Auto, it would work as it does now. When set to Manual the driver could choose when to initiate the regeneration when he was undertaking a longer journey.
The manual setting could be supplemented by warning messages on the instrument display to tell the driver to initiate a regeneration because the pressure differential at the DPF was above the desired level.
This setup would enable the car to run normally and because the regeneration process was being done on demand, it would be a simple matter to tie any oil level changes to the regeneration process if they started to rise.
Any question of warranty claims for blocked DPF filters would be invalid if the driver chose to ignore messages to complete a regeneration process because driver actions/inactions would be recorded in the ECU memory.
If drivers were concerned about warranty issues, they would leave the regeneration process set to Auto.
To those who would say that this would be too complicated for ordinary mortals - I would say that the conditions set out in the Manual by Mazda for drivers to meet the warranty conditions are more complicated. Checking oil at every 1000km etc.
Mazda used to be regarded as the Japanese Rolls Royce and I ownd one of the naturally aspirated 626 diesels when they were first imported into the UK. It was a super, reliable car.
The CX-5 is a great car but it is badly let down by the current DPF regeneration system.
Anyway, thanks for responding to my post.

I hear you, but the Mondeo was not a low compression diesel like the SA-D is.
It really is a totally different fish, also the tech changes necessary to comply with Euro 5 and soon 6 is why Mazda have done what they have done.
Yes, Mazda are/have updated software for DPF, but the more it regenerates the more the DPF life is shortened, a Manual system will never happen because of the human element, emission standards do not an never will work that way.
Yes, I remember well the very first 626 FWD Diesel, however the engine was a licenced one, not a Mazda design.
Then came the more recent MZ-CD which was a Ford design, like MZ-R a Ford design Engine with Ford parts.
Today Mazda has just about completely divorced itself of Ford product (CX-9 3.7l V6 is the last).
This is the first Diesel engine Mazda has designed and actually made on it's own...and it is a failure, sorry.
I respect and love the brand, but I would never buy one only for the grunt/torque benefit, and I have never seen the
cost benefit analysis of them being cheaper as every service part twice the price as normal petrol engine.
IMO this SA-D has a major structural problem, that being a low compression diesel does not work.
Frankly I am disappointed for Mazda that they allowed such an engine to go into production, they had 3 years of testing and did not see this.
Did I mention the Skyactiv Transmissions (Auto's) failing at about 80K, you will hear it.

Attachments

• Lack of acceleration and or unusual brake pedal feeling “SKYACTIV-D 2.2”.pdf
    753.5 KB · Views: 15,339
  • Noises from Skyactiv Automatic Transaxle.pdf
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Noises from Skyactiv Automatic Transaxle (Sound File).pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,119
Last edited:
Wonder if this had anything to do with mine, it's been in dealers for 2 months now, so far it's had new brake servo, turbo, camshafts, fuel filter, fuel pump, short engine, injectors, clutch and more, Mazda UK and dealer have been so unprofessional about the whole thing, serious problems with these engines.

Further update to the rising Oil Issue. My Car went in to have a brake caliper issue sorted (rear near side staying on), but also the oil pressure light came on whilst driving to get the repair. I have now had 3 free oil changes by Mazda and countless supposedly updates to the ECU !!! I have only done 24K and had 5 Oil Changes. I have been informed that the Oil Filter has been modified. Not sure how , I assume made finer?? Has anyone else had this new filter?

Further update to the rising Oil Issue. My Car went in to have a brake caliper issue sorted (rear near side staying on), but also the oil pressure light came on whilst driving to get the repair. I have now had 3 free oil changes by Mazda and countless supposedly updates to the ECU !!! I have only done 24K and had 5 Oil Changes. I have been informed that the Oil Filter has been modified. Not sure how , I assume made finer?? Has anyone else had this new filter?

They told me there was a technical enhancement for the oil and filter, but look what the problem has done to mine, as above. 2 months in dealers and still there, I have contacted BBC TV WATCHDOG with reference to these issues with the skyactive engine, we need more people to do this so it exposes Mazda and how they are treating their customers.

They told me there was a technical enhancement for the oil and filter, but look what the problem has done to mine, as above. 2 months in dealers and still there, I have contacted BBC TV WATCHDOG with reference to these issues with the skyactive engine, we need more people to do this so it exposes Mazda and how they are treating their customers.

Did you phone or email Watchdog. I am interested in this. They have not treated me bad , but I believ they are in breach of advertising with respect to service intervals for the diesel engine. Instead of Annual or 10K, it should be 12 months or 6 K.

Back