For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

Well said.

Toyota has an unlimited mile warranty extension on a few of their engines because the tooling cutting the oil ring land was chattery and causes copious amounts of oil consumption later in life.

It happens to all of em sometime.

I heard it was the return oil holes in the oil wipe ring land where drilled two small. Thus not allowing the oil to return quickly enough causing them to burn off some of the oil instead of returning into the oil pan.... However, it was all covered under their warranty. Even the rental while you waited for your new pistons to get put in your engine.

Just wondering if anyone ever experienced this...

Was driving in traffic and going uphill, roughly 20-35mph and shifts normally.. But out of the 2+ hour drive, there was one moment where the car felt like it went into neutral and did a rough shift, like it had no power at all. No lights came on and the car drove fine. It's like the car's computer didn't know what gear should it be in.

Probably was running gears 2 through 4, first time the car ever did that

I think the car was in gear 3, downshifted to 2, went to neutral feeling, upshifted to 4 where it was suppose to be at that speed.

My perfect CX5 had its first bad shift this week. I was in "D" and halfway into a long highway commute in gridlock (stop and go). Had been stopped and when I pressed the gas the engine revved but did not load. 1 second later transmission engaged in high gear (i'm guessing 4?) and then quickly downshifted to 1 or 2. I drove the rest of the way to work without a hiccup (as usual). It seemed like some kind of glitch with shift logic but I have no idea. No fault lights at the time or ever previously. I have not experienced one other rough shift or anything of concern.

Anyone who had valve body replacement experienced further problems?

Will update if it happens again.

Just wondering if anyone ever experienced this...

Was driving in traffic and going uphill, roughly 20-35mph and shifts normally.. But out of the 2+ hour drive, there was one moment where the car felt like it went into neutral and did a rough shift, like it had no power at all. No lights came on and the car drove fine. It's like the car's computer didn't know what gear should it be in.

Probably was running gears 2 through 4, first time the car ever did that

I think the car was in gear 3, downshifted to 2, went to neutral feeling, upshifted to 4 where it was suppose to be at that speed.

So.. Anyone have an idea what might have happened when the car did a rough shift during traffic? I didn't bother taking it to Mazda as there isn't any lights coming on and I find it hard to explain even as of now, I'm still thinking what I'm saying doesn't really make sense.

So the car was in traffic going uphill, speeds 20-35mph, the car was about to shift or something, but all I felt was the car suddenly in a higher rpm with little to no power like neutral, and hurry shifting back into a gear where the car needed to be. It's like.. 2k rpm jumped to 4k rpm and then back down to 1.5k rpm or something. I was watching the revs when that happened but the car drove fine after that anyways.

And no, I didn't put the car into neutral or I wasn't in +/- self-shifting mode either. The car was just in "D"

Last edited:
I have from an inside source that Mazda is having some solenoid quality issues from it's suppliers. Not frequently but it happens with anything you buy that has parts from many many suppliers, only takes one to ruin the party.

So my dealer can't find anything wrong with my transmission, but I still don't feel like its operating optimally. It seems slow to engage and gets very confused if you start to slow down and then try to accelerate again (a common maneuver if you're slowing to turn left in an intersection and then accelerate around the corner when there is a break in traffic) They offered to have me demonstrate to a mechanic, but I didn't have the time. Now I've encountered another problem. At higher speeds (say between 100 to 130KM/hr) when I pull out to pass and the transmission downshifts, it will occasionally do a very harsh shift. The firs time it did it there was a noticeable 'bang' and the car shuddered (my wife actually yelped) - way more harsh of a shift, I suspect it went from sixth to fourth gear, but it was very loud and harsh. It's done it to me a couple of times now. I don't often get opportunities to drive those speeds, but I find the harshness, not to mention the loud bang concerning. I don't want to try it one day and have the tranny blow apart. I suspect that my tranny has the solenoid issue as well, but it's probably only a partial failure. I just don't know how to convince my dealer to take a deeper look at it. If they can't replicate or throw a code they are helpless. Guess I'll have to wait until it totally fails which will likely be 1 day outside of warranty.

I don't understand why, if you suspect the AT is not operating as it should, and the dealer is willing to take their time, to have you demonstrate, that YOU REFUSE. I can only assume it is of little consequence to you other than you like to hear yourself wining. Ed

So my dealer can't find anything wrong with my transmission, but I still don't feel like its operating optimally. It seems slow to engage and gets very confused if you start to slow down and then try to accelerate again (a common maneuver if you're slowing to turn left in an intersection and then accelerate around the corner when there is a break in traffic) They offered to have me demonstrate to a mechanic, but I didn't have the time. Now I've encountered another problem. At higher speeds (say between 100 to 130KM/hr) when I pull out to pass and the transmission downshifts, it will occasionally do a very harsh shift. The firs time it did it there was a noticeable 'bang' and the car shuddered (my wife actually yelped) - way more harsh of a shift, I suspect it went from sixth to fourth gear, but it was very loud and harsh. It's done it to me a couple of times now. I don't often get opportunities to drive those speeds, but I find the harshness, not to mention the loud bang concerning. I don't want to try it one day and have the tranny blow apart. I suspect that my tranny has the solenoid issue as well, but it's probably only a partial failure. I just don't know how to convince my dealer to take a deeper look at it. If they can't replicate or throw a code they are helpless. Guess I'll have to wait until it totally fails which will likely be 1 day outside of warranty.

I've been having the same problem on my 2015 Grand Touring. Accellerating after slowing down confused the transmission, and it took forever for it to downshift so I could accellerate. Also, while accellerating from a stop, it would switch to a higher gear prematurely (like going 1st, 2nd, then 5th) and leave me crawling through a left turn.
I brought it to the dealership on 4/1. They originally were going to replace the valve body, and promised it back on 4/6 (last Monday.) I called them that afternoon and they told me they were going to replace the whole transmission. They're expecting it to be finished tomorrow or Wednesday.

29,300 miles 2013 CX5 Touring FWD - off the showroom floor Mazda blue :)

We have noticed a strong hesitation and "pop" when the engine is cold (in the morning or when its been sitting) as the transmission is put into gear, and when my girlfriend took it in to my Local Mazda dealer (Davis-Moore) she informed them of the problem, but she's not very assertive and when they told her that was just a quirk of the model. She was doing it over her lunch hour, but still, they didn't investigate further (her "being rushed" is their excuse as to why they didnt investigate... meh)

I went back to not worrying about it a couple of months, but it just seemed to get worse. It was bad enough that I didn't even notice until someone else mentioned it that I had developed a habit of shifting into drive, and waiting a couple of seconds for the transmission to engage, to avoid it revving up and slamming into gear. That's important.

I took it back to Mazda, and told them I wanted it looked at further, and that my girlfriend felt like she was "treated as if she didn't know anything about cars," and dismissed. Ok, fair enough, guys are guys. However, when I went in and insisted they look at the transmission, the service manager intervened, offered me a rental car, and said they would let it sit and look at it in the morning.

I got a call that afternoon that said they had tried it in the morning, and it revved up and slammed into gear. They stated the transmission had all the updated software from other known problems with control modules, and that they needed Mazda Tech in California to look at the data and make sure they were ok for a complete replacement. So I said, "Of the control module" and they stated no, the entire transmission.

When I asked WTF, they said that since my warranty is out in May (3 years!) they just wanted to replace everything they could. Ok, I get that, but now that I keep poking around and hearing about transmission problems, I wonder. The techs admitted the model had a "quirky transmission" which is why they dismissed it before, now that quirk is a reason why my Cx-5 has been sitting at the dealer over a week. At first they told me 2-3 business days (last Tuesday) and today, a week later, after I finally called and asked, they had NO IDEA when a transmission would be available. They went the usual blame the supplier route, which I have no doubt is accurate, I had the roof replaced for hail damage when it was 8 months old and Mazda took 3 weeks to get a new roof from Japan.

It had also been having problems with hesitation in downshifting and slamming when it made a big downshift (the "slam" in the transmission has been a big reason its in the shop). They said something about it not "synchronizing" but none of the customer service techs have been able to explain anything technical, I'll have to ask when I go in.

If I ever get the damned transmission in... I've seen folks say 2-3 weeks is common.

So now I get to drive a GMC Terrain SLT - the rental they paid for. I have to admit, on long trips its a nice americanized ride, soooo cushy and roomy with nicer seats (my big CX5 complaint) but it wasn't nearly as fun to drive... and what the hell Mazda, I paid for my CX5! Anyway, my first post is a complaint that my Mazda experience has been fun, why do the dealers have to screw it up... COMMUNICATE PEOPLE!

I just called the dealership this morning and was told the same thing. They've had my car for two weeks now, and apparently the CX5's transmission is in such high demand that it's on backorder indefinitely. They have no idea when they'll have a transmission for me.

Does anyone know if there's any chance of getting them to swap the vehicle out for another one they have in stock? It only has 2800 miles (which I know is far from still being able to be considered brand new) but if they don't know when or if they'll be able to get a transmission for it, I just don't understand how they can keep an almost new vehicle indefinitely.

I just had a similar issue happen yesterday. While driving in town 30 mph the car just kicked out of drive and when put in neutral or manual would not engage the drive gear. The manual mode only showed the M with no gear number. The AT light, traction control, check engine, and tire pressure monitor light all came on. After coasting into a parking spot I was able to call Mazda roadside. While answering the 99 questions, I was able to start/stop the car multiple times and the lights went out except for the check engine. Engaged reverse and that worked, tried drive and that worked now too! Nevertheless had Mazda tow it to the dealer. Dealer called today and they put in a case with Mazda USA as the dealer never heard of this previously. Came back with two parts they replaced, reflashed ecu and test drove. Picking it up tonight so we shall see what part it actually was and if it holds up.

2 weeks is not indefinitely over the life of a vehicle. Cool your jets.

What I meant is that it's already sat there for over two weeks, and Mazda is telling the dealership that they have no idea when they'll have a transmission available, so they won't be able to fix the car anytime in the forseeable future. It seems more than ridiculous for a car that I've had for less than three months. And it's not like this is a rare old car that's hard to find parts for. It's still in production, so transmissions should be available.

What I meant is that it's already sat there for over two weeks, and Mazda is telling the dealership that they have no idea when they'll have a transmission available, so they won't be able to fix the car anytime in the forseeable future. It seems more than ridiculous for a car that I've had for less than three months. And it's not like this is a rare old car that's hard to find parts for. It's still in production, so transmissions should be available.

Unless they found and fixed the problem in the design, making all those transmissions that should be available may also have the problem... don't you want one with all the changes? Yes? Get in line.

And if you're feeling impatient, think about how much storage space all those transmissions take up and understand why they don't just have one. This is not a unique supply chain issue, just ask Nissan about their CVT, which fails WAY more than anything Mazda makes combined.

Unless they found and fixed the problem in the design, making all those transmissions that should be available may also have the problem... don't you want one with all the changes? Yes? Get in line.

And if you're feeling impatient, think about how much storage space all those transmissions take up and understand why they don't just have one. This is not a unique supply chain issue, just ask Nissan about their CVT, which fails WAY more than anything Mazda makes combined.

Just in time manufacturing - They make what they need, as they need it. This saves on cost and allows on-the-fly updates. Indeed, new cars can be harder to find parts for than old cars because of this - there's no stockpile sitting somewhere because they're all being used on the production line. It's entirely possible the transmission may have to be shipped from Japan, likely as a block with others.

Craigo and Brandini, that all makes sense. I've read of "just in time" manufacturing before, and it did cross my mind that it could be part of the reason it was so hard to find a transmission. The dealership did provide a loaner vehicle, so I wasn't inconvenienced...but when you get a brand new car, the last thing you expect is such a major repair before you even change the oil for the first time.

In the end, they did get a transmission in last week, and I had my car back after three weeks. I'm still not a fan of the new transmission, but at least this one doesn't shift from 2nd into what feels like 5th or 6th in the middle of a left turn, and it's not nearly as slow to downshift as the old one.

Also remember to give it time to learn 'you' and the awkwardness will go away. Also it'll seem less awkward when you stop paying such close attention to it!

I have expressed my experience with Mazda transmissions issues in the past with some backlash from forum members, but I'm unhappy that some problems still exists. Mazda's transmissions suppliers have never been the best.

I have expressed my experience with Mazda transmissions issues in the past with some backlash from forum members, but I'm unhappy that some problems still exists. Mazda's transmissions suppliers have never been the best.

It's weird we don't see the issue as much on the 3 which came after the cx5 initially, so it must be a first-run-type issue.

Back