Introducing the 2013 Mazda CX-5

this will be the first diesel offering (in the US) in a very long time (if ever, actually...somebody give me some real data..)

Yes, it is true that diesels are on the rise, and I'm sure thats why Mazda is jumping on board, but the diesel market is still MUCH smaller than the gas market..just look at a random gas station any given day...(although you live in CA, and CA is weird...so maybe there is a market there...)

At least for BMW, their X5 diesel sells about 40% of total X5 sales in the US market. Much higher for the other markets obviously.

The 335d like I have sold pretty slowly and may not be coming back in the new model. Wish I could understand why this market dislikes diesel so much, I love mine! Tons of power and incredible fuel economy.

I had an opportunity to test drive a Skyactive Blue GT AWD with the slushbox today. Very nice inside and was larger than expected. Think more CRV size rather than Juke. Cant wait till the diesel comes to North America, hopefully in the AWD 6MT version.

How did the car feel? I want the diesel too, but was wondering if the gas CX-5 is underpowered and slow.

So I still haven't driven one of these but I took a good look at them while I was at the dealership picking up some parts. If you skip the leather, you can still get one for about $24k. And that included moonroof, a really nice stereo, etc. Even the cloth seats looked like better quality than Mazda has out out the past few years (I'm thinking of my cloth MS6 seats in particular). There were even a couple out there with manual transmissions, and I think those are even a grand or two less than the previously mentioned models. Now, if we could just get that diesel over here :D

Has anyone here bought one yet?

Can you be more specific on your inside connection?

And tell me when I can get a diesel AWD 6MT cx5 in the US.

Well then Mazda is dreaming about me purchasing a new car from them. They offer them on other markets...

Yeah, but they make money there selling those, I'm sure their business case does not make sense here :(

Well then Mazda is dreaming about me purchasing a new car from them. They offer them on other markets...

Oh I agree. Trust me. I don't even think you can get a manual with the AWD right now, only the FWD. I could be wrong tho.

I don't even think you can get a manual with the AWD right now, only the FWD. I could be wrong tho.

You are right (at least US and Canada). MT is only available on the entry level trims (GX Canada, Sport US), both FWD :(

Ask Volkswagen, Mercedes, and BMW.

Let me clarify: "I'm sure their business case does not make sense here for MAZDA". I think even Mercedes and BMW sell more volume than MAZDA in the US, and they have more local money to spend than Mazda. I'm yet to see any recent Mazda diesel model for US and/or Canada. Unfortunately you cannot just bring them "as-is", you need to make them compliant ($$$) in each country...

If Mazda would see it as money maker, I bet it would be here already.

Mazda already announced the diesel version coming to the USAin 2013. I just hope it comes in the right configuration to make me want to buy it. Maybe Canada.

Mazda already announced the diesel version coming to the USAin 2013. I just hope it comes in the right configuration to make me want to buy it. Maybe Canada.

Isn't the SkyActiv-D for the Grand Am racing series?

Mazda Skyactiv diesel for racers, but not showrooms yet

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...n-diesel-race-not-showroom-promise-mpg-power/

Anyway, do not worry, you might be better off after all... LOL

World Health Organization says diesel fumes cause cancer
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/13/world-health-organization-says-diesel-fumes-cause-cancer/

Well... it wasn't designed for the racing, but they've developed it for the GX class next year in Grand Am.

Oh... and what doesn't cause cancer these days?

Back