LA 2009: Custom "Mazdaspeed2" tops the fun-per-pound charts in LA

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring

As cool as some of those custom Ford Fiestas are at the LA Auto Show, these even tidier Mazda2 customs really jumped out at us. Okay, maybe not all of the concepts so much as the "Mazdaspeed2" you see above. The Active2 Surf and Active2 Snow barely registered when we saw this green and grey fun machine. Dubbed the 2Evil Special and not really an official Mazdaspeed2 at all, this concept blends weekend track car with urban commuter in just the right proportions.

The other two concepts aren't quite as eye-catching as the 2Evil, but are fun nonetheless. The Active2 Surf has a slightly restyled exterior, 17-inch wheels, an H&R coil over suspension and was painted a bright green with MINI-like white wheels and mirror caps. We really dug the carbon fiber surfboard in the Thule roof rack, too. The Active2 Snow gets similar bodywork tweaks, along with the 17-inch wheels and the H&R setup with another Thule roof rack sporting matching snowboards.. Both cars also wear Active2 graphics. These two cars look like they are going to be easily duplicated by accessing the Mazda Accessories catalog.

Meanwhile, the 2Evil sits even lower thanks to its H&R coil-over setup, and is visually lowered even more courtesy of the aggressive body kit with its curb-scraping front lip and deep side skirts. The 2Evil also includes a new diffuser and spoiler in the back, limo-black windows, Le Mans-winning Mazda 787B tribute graphics, 17-inch wheels wrapped in Yokahama Advan tires, and a Magna performance exhaust system. The green highlights really bring the whole thing together to make it look like a spec series racer. Now if Mazda could just shoehorn in the Mazdaspeed3 turbo mill, they'd really be onto something. We can just imagine Grand-Am adding a CC (commuter car) class for fun little runabouts like this Mazda2, the MINI Cooper, Fiesta, Fiat 500, Honda Fit and the like.

I love how the roof racks are EURO designed! Come on Mazda bring a MS2 to the states!!

Wow, go Mazda, those cars look sexy, love the projector headlights on the 1st one, green wheels a little bit much, but not a problem...

Along with the USDM Custom Fiestas side by side, I'll go Mazda2

customfiestasla---13.jpg

lamazdaspeed2---1.jpg

customfiestasla---04.jpg

lamazdaspeed2---8.jpg

customfiestasla---01.jpg

mazda2lalive_19-1259875879.jpg

The 2011 Mazda2 is just a lovable car and it's even HOTTER in "tuner" form...I would be VERY SURPRISED if it doesn't sell like HOT CAKES...Great pics...Thanks for posting Mikey! (2thumbs)

I was at a dealership yesterday and they said that the US was not getting the Speed2. Is that right?

I was at a dealership yesterday and they said that the US was not getting the Speed2. Is that right?

Weeell, what dealers know anyway ;)

The one shown above is a concept, not really a production MAZDASPEED, but knowing Mazda I believe the answer is no (today), they'll need to see how the Mazda2 makes it fir$$$t, like when the 2004 Mazda3 debuted. It was 3 years before seeing a MAZDASPEED version of it (and the same with the Mazda6)

Then three years from now I will drive that! Looks great, I don't mind the fiesta either. Ford is really coming along cosmetically

speed2 looks awesome.. i would love to have that.. greens my favorite color so id take that one in a second haha

I think the Mazda 2Evil (which is what they're calling the MS2 now) is finally the replacement for the MSP that we've all been looking for. The MS3 was too big and too powerful to really be a true replacement, IMO, and if they equipped the MS2 with either a 2.0L turbo motor (around 220bhp?) or if they want to go MAD, the Focus RS drivetrain, I would be sold instantly.

Here's my take on it from first glance: I like the styling a lot. I think they missed the mark a little with the grinning 2nd gen Mazda 3, but this brings similar styling, but still looking mean as ever. The body cues are typical Mazdaspeed - subtle, yet agressive - and its nice to see them once again release a car, which doesn't look like its going to tip the scales too heftily. I'm also liking the fact that they're going back to a Titanium Grey Metalic-esque color (Ceramic/Titanium close enough).

If they can market this in the $18-20k range, just below the MS3, I think it could help revive an otherwise floundering tuner community here in the states...

I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

I think the Mazda 2Evil (which is what they're calling the MS2 now) is finally the replacement for the MSP that we've all been looking for. The MS3 was too big and too powerful to really be a true replacement, IMO, and if they equipped the MS2 with either a 2.0L turbo motor (around 220bhp?) or if they want to go MAD, the Focus RS drivetrain, I would be sold instantly.

Here's my take on it from first glance: I like the styling a lot. I think they missed the mark a little with the grinning 2nd gen Mazda 3, but this brings similar styling, but still looking mean as ever. The body cues are typical Mazdaspeed - subtle, yet agressive - and its nice to see them once again release a car, which doesn't look like its going to tip the scales too heftily. I'm also liking the fact that they're going back to a Titanium Grey Metalic-esque color (Ceramic/Titanium close enough).

If they can market this in the $18-20k range, just below the MS3, I think it could help revive an otherwise floundering tuner community here in the states...

I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

(mswerd)

Spot on...I think you're definitely on to something...I believe the M2 and even more so a possible MS2 has the potential to be a real "game changer" in the North American market...Let's hope Mazda plays their cards right when this lil' badboy hits the showrooms.

No doubt the aftermarket for the Mazda2 could be HUGE...Especially for a Mazdaspeed Version...Bring it on!!! (rockon)

Back