Simple mods/upgrades

Well you guys are right on weight.. and stuff.. i just got home from the road and i made a lot of hard fast turns to test the protege and yeah it turns fast as hell!!

Specially better if you have wide and low profile tires.. sorry for making this thread so long guys :confused:

I will keep my baby.. will put a weapon R ram air with a K&N panel filter and may get a cat-back but people were complaining saying that it make you lose torque?? Not sure about that

Then either cams, or pulleys.. something with small gain

the loss of torque isnt noticeable.

is ur car manual or auto?

cams and pulleys arent just a simple bolt on thing. you gotta know what your doing. its nothing like sticking an intake on your car.

the loss of torque isnt noticeable.

cams and pulleys arent just a simple bolt on thing. you gotta know what your doing. its nothing like sticking an intake on your car.

(mswerd)
Same goes for the flywheel if you car is a manual. But if it is an auto you can put an aftermarket torque convertor. Both need require that you need what your doing.

I had coilover and springs, i reccommend you stay away from coilovers (especially Skunk2 coilover) unless they are full coilovers. Springs are your best bet.

My advice is that you go for the Ground Control coil sleeves + some Eibach springs. They kick ass - let you adjust your ride height. If you can custom order the springs, I would go with 8" (maybe 10"?) springs, 250#in in the front and around 150#in in the rear. I'm running 375#in springs in my MSP. The ride is really harsh, but it handles like stink. The reasons I'm thinking you should go for a lower spring rate are: the stock shock absorbers probably can't handle much higher, and your car is lighter.

Then get you some grippy low-profile tires and drive your car like the go-kart it is.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Stay away from Teins. They use funky sized springs. Eibach are standard, so if you decide to change spring rate, you can get different springs more easily.

I'm gonna drop it from 1'' to 1.5'', sell my rims and get a 15'' ones

Price on light weight flywheel and pulleys?

search duuuuude search

they arent cheap. much more or just as expensive as the catback exhaust you couldnt afford.

I'm gonna drop it from 1'' to 1.5'', sell my rims and get a 15'' ones

Price on light weight flywheel and pulleys?

AASCO flywheel is 325 at heeltoeauto.com, that is where i got mine back in the day when there weren't many available. You can get a fidanza one off ebay for 200. But they range from 200-400, depending on brand, but they should all weight about 8-9lbs. Pulley are like 60 and up. But usually you pay for is what you get.

You, just gotta shop around and research before you buy. The is ebay, corksport, protege garage, and a few others dont remember the names right now.

1-1.5" drop is nothing, every spring on the market lowers the car at 1.5" and lower, unless you get stock msp or mp3 springs. 1.5 -2 inches.

Last edited:
My advice is that you go for the Ground Control coil sleeves + some Eibach springs. They kick ass - let you adjust your ride height. If you can custom order the springs, I would go with 8" (maybe 10"?) springs, 250#in in the front and around 150#in in the rear. I'm running 375#in springs in my MSP. The ride is really harsh, but it handles like stink. The reasons I'm thinking you should go for a lower spring rate are: the stock shock absorbers probably can't handle much higher, and your car is lighter.

Then get you some grippy low-profile tires and drive your car like the go-kart it is.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Stay away from Teins. They use funky sized springs. Eibach are standard, so if you decide to change spring rate, you can get different springs more easily.

But the msp and mp3 had beefier shocks then regualr proteges. The msp had tokico blues with racing beat springs.

I put my skunk2 coilover on at 60k with a full 4" drop with stock shocks, rode that for 20ki and then when to drop zone springs (2") and the the stocks finally crapped out at 95ki.

But the msp and mp3 had beefier shocks then regualr proteges. The msp had tokico blues with racing beat springs.

That's why I figure he shouldn't go over 250#in. The beefy tokico blues can handle up to around 400. It's just a guess; someone more intimate with the 1.6l Protege knows better.

Lilchild, you should look at this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58798&highlight=spring+rates

Don't buy springs based on how much they drop the car unless you want a car with soggy handling that can't navigate the common speedbump. Go for springs based on stiffness, and whatever drop you get is just a bonus. But beware! Too stiff means the fly hunnies won't like riding with you! Choose wisely!

if you work hard, and learn

and eventually go turbo this is what itll be like

the torque is AMAZING
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8c37b246-2820-4389-8b80-c19ca06af01e.htm

That is car belongs to GOLDPRO, he used to own it, but he sold it. There is another 1.6l from back a few years ago on protegeclub, he put a custom supercharger, fully build the car inside and out. I try to find some pics of it.

camerazn said:
But beware! Too stiff means the fly hunnies won't like riding with you! Choose wisely!
(werd)(lol) to shift, make the ride very harsh. the skunk2 i had were like 300#in coils. with a full drop my internal organs hurt on bumps, but the car handle like it was on rails. "Too stiff means the fly hunnies won't like riding with you!", such a true statement, from my personal experience. My girlfriend hated riding in my car and aways complain about the ride, so i ended changing to new dropzone springs that i got for like 40 brand new shipped, what a deal. Ok considing i only paid 40.

Edit:
here are the pics of the custom superchared 1.6 zm-de. awesome

Attachments

• engine%20bay.jpg
    engine%20bay.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 147
  • sc%20closeup.jpg
    sc%20closeup.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 136
  • front%20right%20side.jpg
    front%20right%20side.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
That's why I figure he shouldn't go over 250#in. The beefy tokico blues can handle up to around 400. It's just a guess; someone more intimate with the 1.6l Protege knows better.

Lilchild, you should look at this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58798&highlight=spring+rates

Don't buy springs based on how much they drop the car unless you want a car with soggy handling that can't navigate the common speedbump. Go for springs based on stiffness, and whatever drop you get is just a bonus. But beware! Too stiff means the fly hunnies won't like riding with you! Choose wisely!

I've got Ksports on mine and they're really good. I must say they are bit stiff even on softest damper setting. But it's all worthwhile on the twistys. I'm still riding on stock wheels with a bit better tires and even then the handling is great. Can't wait to get some 17's and low pros. Look around and you'll find some good springs at a decent price. Progressive spring rates offer a better ride but linear spring rates give you better handling. If you're just planning on "enjoying" your car then a progressive spring rate is probably better. If you plan on tracking it every now then a linear spring rate will work better for you.

That is car belongs to GOLDPRO, he used to own it, but he sold it. There is another 1.6l from back a few years ago on protegeclub, he put a custom supercharger, fully build the car inside and out. I try to find some pics of it.

(werd)(lol) to shift, make the ride very harsh. the skunk2 i had were like 300#in coils. with a full drop my internal organs hurt on bumps, but the car handle like it was on rails. "Too stiff means the fly hunnies won't like riding with you!", such a true statement, from my personal experience. My girlfriend hated riding in my car and aways complain about the ride, so i ended changing to new dropzone springs that i got for like 40 brand new shipped, what a deal. Ok considing i only paid 40.

Edit:
here are the pics of the custom superchared 1.6 zm-de. awesome

Supercharged?? where? that looks like custome pipes for air flowing with a metal airbox

Supercharged?? where? that looks like custome pipes for air flowing with a metal airbox

Serpentine drive belt is over there on the left side of the picture. The supercharger gets its power from that. Air gets forced from left to right along that blue pipe in the front, into that metal box (intercooler maybe?), and then into the intake.

It seems like that would be dumb custom piping if there was no supercharger. If that car was NA, air would be traveling from a filter in a crowded location, 1.5 times the width of the car, and through what is probably a really noisy, bad sounding airbox.

Also, if you look in the second picture, you can see the blue pipe connecting to a metal device on the serpentine belt. Is it the AC compressor? Probably not.

Serpentine drive belt is over there on the left side of the picture. The supercharger gets its power from that. Air gets forced from left to right along that blue pipe in the front, into that metal box (intercooler maybe?), and then into the intake.

It seems like that would be dumb custom piping if there was no supercharger. If that car was NA, air would be traveling from a filter in a crowded location, 1.5 times the width of the car, and through what is probably a really noisy, bad sounding airbox.

Also, if you look in the second picture, you can see the blue pipe connecting to a metal device on the serpentine belt. Is it the AC compressor? Probably not.

I always though that the supercharger was that big block with a weird square shape.. but this car doesn't have that.. just a belt and a custom pipe

the supercharger is run by the belts and you can see it on the second picture. that box you see to the right is a water-to-air intercooler. and the piping is really good actually, it goes from the supercharger to the water/air intercooler and to the TB, no crazy bends or a lot of pipes going to the front of the car. throttle response must be insanely fast with that setup.

Last edited:
the supercharger is run by the belts and you can see it on the second picture. that box you see to the right is a water-to-air intercooler. and the piping is really good actually, it goes from the supercharger to the water/air intercooler and to the TB, no crazy bends or a lot of pipes going to the front of the car. throttle response must be insanely fast with that setup.

Never seen one like that before. How much can that be?

I been looking to find that on websites but i couldn't find it

Never seen one like that before. How much can that be?

I been looking to find that on websites but i couldn't find it

The guy sent about 3000. He got the different parts from the Uk. This is no supercharger kit for the 1.6 protege.

Well this is a custom thing. But they guy was using a rotex unit. He is also running two more injectors before the TB, to keep it rich and nice and cool, a signal conditioner (to bleed away boost from map sensor) and fuel management system. Got rid of power steering pump and put an electric one.

You have to source your own parts, do some fabrication and so forth..

Attachments

• injectors%20closeup.jpg
    injectors%20closeup.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 105
  • AF%20sensor.jpg
    AF%20sensor.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 97
  • FM2%20fuel%20mapper.jpg
    FM2%20fuel%20mapper.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
The guy sent about 3000. He got the different parts from the Uk. This is no supercharger kit for the 1.6 protege.

Well this is a custom thing. But they guy was using a rotex unit. He is also running two more injectors before the TB, to keep it rich and nice and cool, a signal conditioner (to bleed away boost from map sensor) and fuel management system. Got rid of power steering pump and put an electric one.

You have to source your own parts, do some fabrication and so forth..

thats a lot of money for me but looks pretty good, the guy on the muffler shop told me that for 70 bucks i'll get

bigger pipes, smaller or none resonator and weld everything up

But i told him to put me a smaller resonator cuz may be too loud and i'll get no back pressure

Back