do the Electric superchargers work??

Branden3i

Contributor
:
04 Silver 3
i recently went to www.esuperchargers.com and they claim that by building this "supercharger" you can gain up to 30hp. and i was wondering if anyone else had read about this, if it really works, and if so how hard is it to build one???

Branden3i said:

Looks like a scam to me. I did see one in the back of Car and Driver not to long ago that looked a little more legit though. A super charger needs to spin fast in order to make Power. I not exactly an expert on forced induction but my thoughts electric superchargers are that a cars electrical system probably can't provide enough juice to spin a supercharger fast enough to make lot's of HP. Any expert opinions on this one?

They don't move enough air.

30hp is probably 4 psi of boost.

These electric guys might give you 2 on a good day, with a tail wind.

My Dremel turns 50,000 rpm. It still doesn't move any air.

Its a lot smaller than an average leaf blower, a leaf blower and even a hair dryer move air, but neither have a lot of pressure.

From their ad, it shows them using all of the existing ducting, and looks like it bolts on right behind the MAF.

There isn't a single real turbo or supercharger on the market that reuses the existing ducts, they all use steel, aluminum or reinforced rotomolded abs piping with big posi-torque clamps. Plastic ducting won't hold boost. And if it was making boost, they would have to use something a bit stronger than a 79 cent hose clamp.

It looks exactly like the boating sump pumps someone was selling on e-bay for a couple of years claiming all sorts of ungodly performance.

Do what you like, it's your right to spend money however you want.

Plastic can't handle those speeds. It would melt. Talk about junk flying into your throttle body and engine when that thing breaks after two weeks.
Besides, anything promising large HP gains that costs $14.95 is complete crap. Hell, I wouldn't buy it for 200.

mp3moose said:
Plastic can't handle those speeds. It would melt. Talk about junk flying into your throttle body and engine when that thing breaks after two weeks.
Besides, anything promising large HP gains that costs $14.95 is complete crap. Hell, I wouldn't buy it for 200.
So you'd rather be scammed for $200+ instead of $14.95????? ;)

mazdaspeedpower said:
So you'd rather be scammed for $200+ instead of $14.95????? ;)

I think not. I trust the Knight unit to actually deliver what it promises.

Not that I'm going to rush right out and buy one, though...

Branden3i said:
i recently went to www.esuperchargers.com and they claim that by building this "supercharger" you can gain up to 30hp. and i was wondering if anyone else had read about this, if it really works, and if so how hard is it to build one???
Heck yeah it works... Didn't you check the dyno?

Go get one of these too...
http://www.k-g-racing.com/lot_usa/turbo.html

Thomas Knights work has been questionable to a lot of different people. I haven't seen it myself so I can't comment, only pass on what I have heard. What I wonder is how much does that electric setup of his weigh? That might mitigate some of his power claims...

Last edited:
Keep in mind that just because it says "up to 30hp" doesn't mean you'll make that much. If it said "at least 30hp" or "gain a minimum of 30hp". Chances are it'll only be 5 at most. Especially on a car like ours.
Just say no.
Look at this graph. First of all, the link says it's for a '98 Civic SI. They didn't make a Civic SI in '98. They brought them back in '99. The dyno graph itself looks like it says '96 EX. Next, it doesn't even say whether the car is stock other than the supercharger or not. Look at the HP & tourque #'s. That doesn't look anything like any Civic I've ever seen, SI or not.

dyno_civic_e2charger_kit.jpg

Last edited:
lol, its funny when i see people say "the dyno shows power it must work", do you realize how easy it is to fake a dyno?? :D

mp5jeff said:
lol, its funny when i see people say "the dyno shows power it must work", do you realize how easy it is to fake a dyno?? :D
I know. I was hoping my sarcasm would get picked up but it's hard to convey in text sometimes....

Branden3i said:
Branden,

Word of advise. Most if not all of this 30hp for $29.95 is going to be a scam. There is no miracle product that gives you these power gains, fuel economy improvements, etc.. for next to nothing. I'm not saying that a bigger and better widget might not come along. What I am saying that is for the most part, if it was that easy, Mazda (performance out of your car, stick to what really works.... Intake, header, exhaust, cams, forced induction, dropping weight, etc... Gimmicks are just that, gimmicks.

Most of all, have fun with the car but don't waste money chasing ghosts. It's unfortunate but a lot of companies are out to take your money with no regard to the quality or accuracy of their claimed power gains.

Back