Bose Headunit Line Out Dilemma

RedKatanax9

Contributor
:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
I'm adding a Bose HU (mainly because of the DIS) to a non-Bose MS3. Since the Bose HU is not amplified, does it make sense to simply run speaker level inputs to an external amp, or a LOC is still a better choice? I'm confused on this one. Thanks for any help.

I'm adding a Bose HU (mainly because of the DIS) to a non-Bose MS3. Since the Bose HU is not amplified, does it make sense to simply run speaker level inputs to an external amp, or a LOC is still a better choice? I'm confused on this one. Thanks for any help.

the clarion unit used in the GT has line level outs, best to use those

the clarion unit used in the GT has line level outs, best to use those

Thanks for the reply, the Bose HU was out of a 2009 GT, so you are saying the signal from the HU are line level already? So feeding those signal to the speaker level input on the amp is...no problem? It's confusing because in theory, I think amps that have speaker level input are doing some kinda of internal processing to convert the signals to line level. So in these case, wouldn't it be line level from HU > speaker level inputs on amp > line level??

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, the Bose HU was out of a 2009 GT, so you are saying the signal from the HU are line level already? So feeding those signal to the speaker level input on the amp is...no problem? It's confusing because in theory, I think amps that have speaker level input are doing some kinda of internal processing to convert the signals to line level. So in these case, wouldn't it be line level from HU > speaker level inputs on amp > line level??

If your amplifier is worth using, it will also have line level inputs.
Connect from the headunit directly to those.
The Bose headunits use a peculiar type of signal system called "Balanced". You may end up with significant alternator whine that will require a Ground Loop Isolator (or Interruptor depending on make - in any case it is a GLI).

If your amplifier is worth using, it will also have line level inputs.
Connect from the headunit directly to those.
The Bose headunits use a peculiar type of signal system called "Balanced". You may end up with significant alternator whine that will require a Ground Loop Isolator (or Interruptor depending on make - in any case it is a GLI).

Yes, the amp is an Alpine 4-channel, not top of the line but adequate. It has speaker level inputs as well as RCA inputs.

I use the Peripheral PGLI between my bose HU and the amp. It killed the noise completely and I cannot tell any loss of sound quality at all. If yours does have a lot of whine, I'd suggest trying them out.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16962_Peripheral+PGLI.html#tabs

My setup is two PGLI's (front and rear) and then connected directly into the amp's RCA's with two pairs of male-male couplers from Radio Shack (274-863). I did not use the brown wires, as they brought the noise back.

I don't have ground loop issues, I was just trying to figure out the best signals to get out from the Bose HU. And figured out I did, lol. Since the signals from the Bose HU are already line level, albeit "balanced" line level, I simply cut off one end of RCAs and tap them into the HU signal wires. And it worked beautifully, signal was clean and strong. I did a full hook up test, it sounded so awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 406
Back